1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's W doing?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by todzuki, Apr 13, 2006.

?

How is George W Bush performing so far?

1. Great! he's doing a great job. no complaints here

8 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. Pretty good. One or two errors, but nobody's perfect.

32 vote(s)
    29.9%
  3. Average. I had low expectation from the start. Conservative or Liberal. Who cares?

7 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Disappointed. W really dropped the ball too many times.

14 vote(s)
    13.1%
  5. Poorly. Are you kidding or just not paying attention? He SUCKS!

45 vote(s)
    42.1%
  6. I pay no attention because it doesn't effect me. Why all the fuss?

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. todzuki

todzuki got OBS?

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Tod, what's the biggest factor in establishing the cost of crude?

3. todzuki

todzuki got OBS?

Here's another one. The title says it all:
    [​IMG]

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Dammit young man, do you need a refresher in mathematics. If you have a margin of x% and the price of your product goes up 50%, if your margin remains the same, what happens to your profits?

5. todzuki

todzuki got OBS?

I don't know. Demand has increased, but it's not like someone just flipped a switch and prices skyrocketed overnight. According to the page I linked to on my last post, in one year, oil prices have increased 49%. That is intentional, I think. So my answer is this: OPEC's discretion

Honestly, that guess is my best effort.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Just guessing as well, OPEC is a factor, but the futures market and their reaction any time the leader of Iran farts is as big a factor.

7. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Todd, did you miss the mention of losing 33% of their Gulf production after the hurricanes in that article?

8. todzuki

todzuki got OBS?

:D They go thru the roof. If the margin remains the same, x% of whatever the new and adjusted figure for the product after you have included manufacturing, ingredients, marketing, etc, it will still be x%. If the total post production costs go up, naturally so do your profits; x% remaining constant.

I think I understood the question. Is that what you meant?

9. todzuki

todzuki got OBS?

No, I saw that. I didn't mention it because it was an 'isolated incident', meaning that breakdown of refining capabilitly coincided with a breakdown in our ability to physically receive oil at the two major ports in the Gulf: Mobile and New Orleans. We couldn't refine it and we couldn't get it. Gas prices dipped back to pre-Katrina figures until these last few weeks.

I saw that in one of your linked graphs too. So how do you interpret that data, Frank? I'm a motorcycle industry rep, I'm no Cliff Claven.;)

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That's pretty much it. If the oil companies target a margin of 7% over costs, and costs increase 49% (per the article) then profits increase by 49%. If they have increased their profit margin, then I will join you in the state of righteous indignation.

11. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

I'm sure there's a combination of factors involved, and getting hard data seems to be a bit difficult. Maybe I just haven't researched enough. The demand side sure seems to be a reasonable explanation at this point, though, and Arab state leaders saying they have plenty of oil seems to bear that out. Maybe the Senate will get to the bottom of this one. ;)

12. todzuki

todzuki got OBS?

No offense, but what is your point? I mean, summarize what you're trying to say. Did you win some debate that I didn't know we were having? While you're at it, define 'righteous indignation.'

13. mad brad

mad brad Guest

he's saying all the "all W's fault" thing is bullshit.

which, is in FACT what you've been trying to say all this time. :rolleyes:

14. todzuki

todzuki got OBS?

They can't!! They are all posing in front of gas station signs today. Both party sides... photo opp Friday. They need to get to the bottom of it though; I think they are realizing that their jobs depend on it now. Both sides.

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You asked:"I think I understood the question. Is that what you meant?"

I confirmed that it is and clarified ny thoughts further. To that I added that if they have increased margin and not just maintained a margin, then I would join those that are pissed at the oil companies.

Righteous indignation is being justifiably pissed off.

16. todzuki

todzuki got OBS?

No I haven't. Didn't you see my 'best guess' earlier? OPEC!

I will point my finger at W for the instability in the mideast brought on by our occupation of Iraq. That is what I think has driven OPEC's pricing discretion the most. The oil companies love what's going on. They are getting more rich than ever through no fault or effort of their own.

By the way, I owe you a SUCK ON MY ROOT from earlier.:D

17. mad brad

mad brad Guest

sorry, i wouldn't do a miniature root. if i'm gonna be a gay bear, i'm gonna be a gay grizzly.

18. 2000yellow360

2000yellow360 Well-Known Member

Frank:

The AG has authorized the investigation into price fixing, and has mentioned that OPEC member states aren't immune. This is going to get interesting, how do you indict a government, or it's oil minister for fixing prices? This is going to be very interesting.

Art

19. mad brad

mad brad Guest

you can say that again.......

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I'm not Frank (and we're both happy about that) butt, IIRC, the refineries are in the midst of a seasonal change-over that is further complicated by the need to more thoroughly clean the systems due to the changeover from MBTE to Ethanol. So, although they aren't running at theoretical capacity, they may be running at actual capacity.