1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Prep bike for winter

Discussion in 'General' started by lopitt85, Oct 24, 2019.

1. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Just like the title says, I'm looking for some info. I'm in Wisconsin and this is my first time in a winter climate. Garage is not climate controlled, and from what I gather temps got down to -40 to -50 last winter.

I was thinking I would swap the coolant for either 80/20 antifreeze/water, or just go straight antifreeze since it's only for storage. Mix some Stabil into my gas like normal and fully top off fuel tank, and run it long enough for the Stabil to reach the injectors. Or, should I run it dry on fuel? Also planned to pull the wheels/slicks off and store them in a closet in the house. Bike on stands all winter. Am I overthinking it? Am I in the right track? What do you guys do up here in this winter weather?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    code3ryder likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Empty ALL the water and fuel and that's about it.

sharkattack and 969 like this.
  3. lopitt85

Will being empty allow corrosion in the cooling system? That's why I was thinking straight antifreeze, for the anti-corrosion properties.

4. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Fill the tank with ethanol free fuel.
    Drain the water and put antifreeze back in.
    Run the engine until it comes up to normal operating temp so that it has a chance to properly cycle through.
    Top off the tank once more.

Moving tires inside depends on their condition. If they're already toast and you plan on replacing them in the spring it doesn't matter, just leave 'em on. Put the bike on stands and either take the battery inside and put it on a tender or put it on a tender in the garage.

BigBird likes this.
  5. Dom17

Dom17 Well-Known Member

I think you're preparations are pretty reasonable. That is quite cold. I know that there are test strips for antifreeze that you can buy to make sure that the antifreeze has the right amount of additives to reduce the freezing temperature. In my experience My garage which is attached to my house is always 20 degrees warmer than the Ambient temperature outside.

You can throw in a battery tender or bring in the battery all together. The lead acid solution shouldn't freeze as long as you don't let the voltage drop too low. as far as I understand it's also not good to leave a battery on a constant voltage battery tender for 6 months because that will shorten the life of the battery as well.

I always keep my gasoline topped up with stabil over winter. The only other thing you could do that might help would find ethanol-free fuel. Ethanol will absorb moisture from the atmosphere and the moisture may potentially damaged components. Fuel stabilizers will help reduce this from happening but there was a good YouTube video that was just released by project farm on YouTube and he took e10 with stabilizer and let it sit in a mason jar in a cabinet for something like 8 or 9 months and he couldn't even get it to ignite when he held a small portion of it to a direct flame. that really opened up my eyes to how bad gas can get when it's stale so I'm going to keep my tank topped up to prevent corrosion but I'm going to drain the bad gas out before next season and put the old stuff in the lawnmower.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

6. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Sell it. Buy a new one in the spring.

Sabre699, 969 and BigBird like this.
  7. lopitt85

Tires are still in excellent shape which is why I was thinking to put them inside the house and out of those crazy temps. I have a battery tender and will hook it up in the garage. Thx for the reminder as it slipped my mind and didnt make the list. I have access to ethanol free fuel as well.

8. lopitt85

I've been floating the idea to the wife of just parking it in the Living room behind the couch.

I might just do it and deal with the fallout :clap:

scottn, sharkattack, BigBird and 3 others like this.
  9. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I'm in WI too. Attached garage, that opens many times a day to let Suv/truck in and out.
    Not heated otherwise.
    I've been putting the battery on a tender in the kitchen cabinet.
    Fill the gas tank- too hard for me to get non ethanol gas though.
    I have used the Stabil- I personally know small engine mechanics that say- DON'T use it though.
    I put it on stands, and cover it up, against a wall so we can park vehicles in there too.
    I make sure my coolant in the radiator is good with one of those little eyedropper with the colored balls in it, to test it.
    Not sure I'd recommend putting pure antifreeze in though, it that what you do to your other vehicles/cars/trucks/suv's? Didn't think so.
    I also agree you can simply drain the system, then nothing to expand and crackie the blockie.
    Never had a problem.

While nothing you said would hurt, might be other-thinking it some- Yes.

10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Ahhhh, you might wanna peruse the divorce threadon this forum before carrying out that action. But do what you do! :bow:

lopitt85 likes this.
  11. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I want to put mint in the family room too! The wife blows a freak'n gasket when I just mention it though!

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Definitely can't hurt, just have to flush it a couple few times next season to make sure it's all out.

13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Don't listen to this guy, he lives in Georgia. WTF does he know about cold ... :Poke: :D

14. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

In Cleveland, OH. I had the bike in an unheated attached garage over winter. First track day I had the rear tire crack. Got too cold over winter. I'm bringing the good rubber indoors this year.

15. lopitt85

Noted. If I dont bring in the whole bike, the at least the wheels are coming in.

I'm also adding a fresh oil change to the storage prep list.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I blew up a boat motor in GA one March :crackup:

17. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Watching the TT with my bestie a couple years ago.... bachelor for life :D Screenshot_20191024-132342.png

5axis, Senna, Ra.Ge. Raptor and 3 others like this.
  18. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I fire mine up, ride it around the house and into the basement.

Murcielago311 and badmoon692008 like this.
  19. 1kk8

1kk8 Well-Known Member

In on page one. Easily a 10+ page thread

Circacee likes this.
  20. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Coolant is optimal with a 50/50 mixture.

If the garage temp is lower than the freeze rating of the coolant, put a small heater next to the bike.

5axis likes this.