1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to buy land?

Discussion in 'General' started by pefrey, Nov 16, 2020.

1. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Where and how to look. Shopping online is challenging because many potential properties lack information and require contacting a broker. I don't need to be on a dozen different mailing / calling lists.

I'd like a minimum of 3 acres, ideally between 5 and 10 acres, would even do 100 as long as the taxes would be manageable for a retired person. Any suggestions? Plan on building my retirement home. Buying one with a home already is ok. First state on the roster is New Hampshire, wife's choice. I'd like West Virginia, as far as possible from the fracking. I've been going in circles.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

3. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Currently looking for property myself. WE have found this site to be helpful:
    https://www.landsearch.com
    Prices are a little high right now.
    Good luck

Rising Sun likes this.
  4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Yeah, I'll wait.

5. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

6. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

The price of land is incredible. Crazy

7. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Go to county tax maps. Search for addresses with your criteria. See if any owe back taxes. Write letters to those owners. If no properties have back taxes, find properties with out of state mailing addresses. Write letters to those owners. For best results, do this after an economic downturn.

Newyork and Phl218 like this.
  8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Christ, I can’t get mine sold. If you wanted upstate NY I’ve got 15.6 acres I want to unload........yeah I know, NY:cool:

Newyork likes this.
  9. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

10. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I saw property hunters show where the guy did basically that, except he drove around and found a dilapidated house with the property used as a dump by the locals. Owner inherited and out of state, happy to get rid of for a song.

11. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Pretty standard strategy for any investor. Works better when it's slow though. Whenever the squiggly lines are headed up for any length of time, everyone becomes an expert and blows the margins.

12. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I'd love to find 4 or 5 acres in either Indiana (Newton or White County) or Illinois (Kankakee or Iroquois County) to put a camper on and just be able to ride, hunt, shoot.... Just have a private place to go rip the dirty bike where nobody can say shit

13. VTRDarren

VTRDarren Well-Known Member

Where exactly in upstate are you selling?

14. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Where upstate?

15. britx303

Lewis county. Constableville/west Turin. We love it up there, but just never have the time to go anymore

16. britx303

See post before this one:D

17. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Oh, Shit! I dated a girl from that area!! (Boonville) :D:D:crackup:

18. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

The best way to find something like that is to get on a bike and ride. I have seen so much land for sale while riding Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, West Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina that it blows my mind. The key is to stop and log what you found, but I havent been looking. I've got my chunk in West Virginia:D

jrsamples likes this.
  19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Lake effect snow country, buy a sled and buy it. :D

Razr likes this.
  20. britx303

Yep. Witnessed a lake effect snow once when we went up middle of winter. Impressive to say the least. I’m not a snowmobile kinda guy, but it’s a big thing there. The trail system has an entrance across the road from the property

Razr likes this.