1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much to change a tire?

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Sep 20, 2013.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I'm not sure what you're saying with that statement. I've got a Snap On in the tire trailer and a Coates in the shop and another Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic trackside and none of them slip on the rim.

2. I don't know how to use one and have never really tried to learn. I just always figured it was easier to have the tire guy do it. But I do think it would be cool to have one.

3. Yeah nothing else will be changed on it. Just sportbike tires. And I don't want a real bigass one; I want to be able to easily roll it up into the toy hauler and not take up too much space.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

They all have pretty much the same footprint. The higher end models use heavier tubing and stuff though.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Okay, I made it sound like a lot. It was three.
    Only thing I can think of to cause the occurrences I experienced would be an air supply issue. Two of them at shops(my hands) and one at the track with a vendor(their hands).
    Not really a big deal but there's no stopping them quickly when they start to take the paint off the wheel.

It is cool and they're easier to use than it looks.

That No-Mar looks nicer than my Coats 220. Bolt it down in a corner. You can always stack tires and gear bags around it.
    My changer takes up the "V" in my 7x14 and I can still get 4 bikes strapped in.

Attached Files:

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

:crackup::crackup:

7. That sounds like a better idea. The toy hauler is always with us. I could just bolt it down in the corner of the garage and leave it. It would be one less thing to unload/load.

8. Boman Forklift

I had the Nomar classic and it works easily enough that Tyler changed his own 125 tires for over a year.

However, I agree with ACDNate, I think it would be worthwhile to spend the extra $2-300 and get an automated one. I haven't measured, but I would guess the footprint is about the same or possibly smaller with the automated style. I've seen automated styles with two small wheels on back, that allow them to be moved out of the trailer like a dolly.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  9. I might do that then.

There is nothing worse than getting something, then a few months down the road being like "I wish I woulda got...". Especially something big like that. It would be a nightmare trying to sell it on eBay and ship it. Once I buy it, that is pretty much it.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You don't need a tire machine Chris. You have access to a shop at home and tire guys at the track.

11. I know but see...

Shit.

I got nothing. :crackup:

You know I like buying shit on the internet. Don't be a party pooper!

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

13. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

The right inserts on the arms and the right head and a strong air supply are all important.

14. caferace

caferace No.

You talking about a tire changer or some weird date?

-jim

15. Boman Forklift

Chris,
    I agree with Mongo on this one. That is one of the reasons I got rid of the NoMar. 90% of our tire changes are done at the track. The occasional, getting take-offs onto rims for practice is handled by the local shop. If I rode streetbikes or did more dirt-biking I would get the automated style.

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I bought my Coats back in the day when there weren't vendors at trackdays. It paid for itself in one season.

Taking wheels to the tire guy at the races?
    Didn't like it.
    (Guess who boogered up my brand new Mags).
    No luggin' things around the paddock, wondering "Do I wait, do I come back, when will they be ready?"
    I'm ready now.
    YMMV

You'd think that was already taken care of, right?
    I mean, who goes to the tire guy at the track and expects their wheels to get scraped to the bone?
    At established shops, it's not practice to let the machinery lag in its performance, is it?
    Either way, I've found that if I do it myself - on my own equipment, I'm the only one I can get pissed at if it gets screwed up.
    I don't screw it up.

17. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

I bought the "pro" model Nomar back in 2007 and mounted it to a plywood platform.
    Some carpet glued under the 2x4 frame of the platform allows me to slide it around the
    garage easily as necessary for whatever else I'm doing. Several hundred tire changes
    later I have no regrets on the purchase.

18. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I can haul it very easy. Just mounter part in the back of my pickup for transport. Once there mounter slides into trucks receiver hitch. At home in my shop the mounter is bolted to a pedestal which is bolted to a concrete floor. Its 3 bolts and its off the pedestal the just bolt up the hitch adapter. I usually go already mounted up with good tires but I have that option to do my own trackside tire mounting. Balancer and all the tools are kept in the haulers back room.

Nomar was the best moto related purchase I've ever made

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

And they're super cool guys. I went to St. Louis and picked mine up in person. Steve gave me a tour of the facility, loaded me up with SWAG, and even offered me lunch. They also gave me a good discount since I drove up there instead of ordering online.