1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much to change a tire?

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Wow.

I mean seriously, what fantasy world does somebody live in where that actually makes sense? How could the dude even ask that with a straight face?

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The cruise thing is possibly feasible, if it was handlebars/control type accessories he bought. But that's not near the level of stupid of some people. I had a guy try to say it was our fault his bike wasn't running right - after we changed a rear tire for him. :crackhead:

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Same deal. All his accessories were on the back.

4. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Its was probley the owners fault running a tire under inflated

5. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

No, You should not have covered the switch.

We put a clutch in a guys truck and when he left said his ac didn't work and expected us to fix it.

Yea, that didn't happen. Some people has some stupid thoughts running threw there head.

6. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Exactly, but they still expect warranty.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Goldwingers can be the cheapest trifiling motherfuckers around. A local guy here had a "Goldwing Only" shop. Stayed pretty busy when his shop was only open 5 days... then 6 then 7. Then he was a Goldwing roadside service provider for North FL... fetching folks at odd hours and getting them on their way. Some of them horrified when given a bill thinking the tow/service should all be covered under their $100/yr policy. :wow:
    I lost touch with him after he closed his doors. He was only in it for "fun" ... and to make a few bucks above his pension. Turned out a nightmare

8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Lol... Yeah I have seen some crud on some crap at the track every time I do tires... At Cmp this year a guy brought up a Duc wheel covered in oil..I was like huh dude you might want to go check your bike out very close...:wow:

9. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Ah yes, the pure "joy" of dealing with "the public". Never underestimate what some people are willing to do. I've heard some doozies in my time and am not hesitant to call BS immediately when some shmoe tries to pull one. The best defense against these jokers is to let them know right quick that they are not going to succeed in their attempt. There's nothing like letting a scammer know that "the customer is always right" isn't going to back you down when you have the high ground.

10. caferace

caferace No.

I was a service manager at a Yamaha dealership years back. Guy comes in with an R6 and claims the rear end locked up on the freeway. Sure enough, the rear tire had a massive flat spot, all the way down to the cords. Nothing obvious in the shop, everything spun fine. Did a couple of test rides (cautiously) and no problems. Rear brake was fine, sprocket was perfect. It *did* have a broken rear fender, which was odd. I called warranty at HQ and asked for advice. They wanted us to tear it down, so we did. Everything. Gave the guy a loaner bike as well.

Yamaha wants the parts, so we ship them down and of course, they're taking their time forensically. It's potentially a BIG liability thing if this is a new thing (this was a revised model that year). They were being careful.

Fast forward a month, and someone comes in who knows the guy. Says he was riding behind him on the freeway when the helmet strapped to the back fell down between the tire and sub frame and was sucked in, locking the rear wheel. This person stopped to help, but all the owner had to do was roll it backwards to free the helmet. And obviously, that is what broke the fender.

I gave him a call and we had a long chat. Denial, didn't happen, etc.

He ended up not only paying for everything, but also a shitload (near total) for the loaner bike he beat to shit.

People suck.

-jim

11. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

thats reasonable, we used to charge 35 for 4 car tires then it was free when you bought the tires, the machines all cost about the same, car garages do them cheap, bike shops can do the same, i understand volume etc but the machines pay for themselves, (i'm talking about carry in rims and tires) i think i pay 30 for a pair at my local dealer

12. caferace

caferace No.

addendum: The reason he came in originally with this story? He wanted a new free rear tire under warranty. :D

-jim

13. HMEN

HMEN Well-Known Member

here in Columbus GA. if you buy from the shop is free if not $60.00 on the bike and $30 of the bike.

14. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I have paid for tire changes up until recently mostly out of laziness. A recent experience with a vendor convinced me that there was little value in paying someone to change a tire. A couple of basic tools takes the chore out of the job and it isn't exactly rocket science! I now change all my own tires.

15. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

My local shop charges the same whether on the bike or off, $85. I think I'm going to get some tools and do it on my own for now on. If they charged what others pay in this thread, I'd gladly pay. Double the average price on here, I think not.

16. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I usually just ask a friend to cover the weight cost. Sometimes it happens most times not. I don't really care for the most part. Amazes me how cheap riders become when it comes to mounting tires the extremes to save a few bucks blows me away. I certainly don't need the liability. Hated having to have tires mounted at nola two weeks ago but it went ok, I paid $40 for two off the bike. Owning a Nomar is a god send and a curse at the same time. If you own one you know what I'm talking about.

17. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I note that you say "I'm talking about carry in rims and tires" but would say that it is wholly unreasonable to compare an auto tire shop to a motorcycle shop because it is a far more involved process to remove the wheels from a motorcycle and then the reinstallation. Now an ATV or UTV may be comparable and we do only charge $10-15 each on those, depending upon rim condition and whether you used a "slime" treatment.
    Volume is a far bigger factor. America is an automobile country first and foremost and the sheer volume of automotive service centers out verses motorcycle shops is astounding. I'm not talking dealerships versus dealerships. Where is the motorcycle equivalent of GoodYear (Gemini), Firestone/Bridgestone, PepBoys, or even Jiffy Lube or Express Oil Change?

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

so i ended up paying 30 ea off the bike....i did give a little try at doing it myself with the motion pro iron bar and was like nah...but i do like that harbor freight bead breaker....

so i my kids had a birthday party to attend. found a place near there to change the tires, and voila..multi-tasking at its finest...left for 20 mins to pick the wheels when they were done. but i really want to know how to do it.

19. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I have a friend with a NoMar. He was smart enough to require $20/tire even from close friends, from the start. Nobody tries to take advantage of him that way.

20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'd go broke expecting my friends to pay me for tire changes. They all have their own machines. :D