1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much should a will/trust cost?

Discussion in 'General' started by tophyr, Apr 17, 2023.

1. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I spent about $2k to do everything you listed. I use lawyers more than I ever thought I would. I, personally, don’t want to be priced by the job for legal services. I’ll pay for the time.

tophyr likes this.
  2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Big city law firm or more regional ? Over here, I know good notaries outside of urban centers that can do it for half the price of big law. It's worth shopping around. As mentioned above, it really depends how complicated your estate planning is.

tophyr likes this.
  3. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

This was about what we paid also. 6k seems a bit steep.

4. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Thanks guys. With your feedback and by some other shopping around it looks like the price I was quoted is indeed about 2-3x what I should pay.

BigBird, Yzasserina and cha0s#242 like this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I like being poor. Nice simple signed - might be notarized, not sure - letter that says all my shit goes to Evelyne. If she's dead too all my shit goes to my Sister and she can figure it out from there :crackup:

BigBird and Yzasserina like this.
  6. 27

27 Well-Known Member

not all lawyers are out to get you! You know some of them look at the situation and think... this guy has a million in assets... he’s playing in a dangerous motorcycle race overseas of all places... he obviously has money to spare... yeah he works at FB... some tech exec prob... if we don’t charge him 300% more then someone else will and we don’t have to do a good job because he won’t know any better if he did he would’ve taken care of this before last minute... so yeah, let’s get him good.

now wouldn’t that be a very ignorant argument to make? One defending their gorging actions? If you thought my opinion of pigs was bad you should see the lawyers’ review. Those are two groups that come with a default of pure evil, anything less has to be earned.

again, have fun and be safe. Glad you got the legal issues squared away without getting screwed there too. Make sure you go the right way at the NW too! Which is probably the wrong way... man... you better check! :rtfrb::D

7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Gorging, gouging, same difference. Lol.

27 likes this.
  8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Sometimes as I read a post on here I start to wonder if one of those acid flashbacks they prom...errr... warned us about is kicking in

27 likes this.
  9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Gorging the gouge! They get into the gouging and gorge themselves on it all.... oh yeah lawyers love their unethical immoral ill gotten gains!!!!

thanks for the correction ;)

got the immortal gains corrected before timed out...

Yzasserina likes this.
  10. 27

27 Well-Known Member

:D:D
    hold on.... you snickering thinking I don’t know the difference instead of a typo? Perhaps I should go back to the vocabulary from the other day that matches your demographic much better...:D

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  11. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Totally teasing, yes I know you know the difference. Lol.

27 likes this.
  12. 27

27 Well-Known Member

maybe you give me too much credit :)

13. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

That's pretty good..:crackup: Less Stress approach!

Man O' Man everything should be so easy

I can't stress enough to people how important it is to have something even if it's just your wife that's left.... I learned the hard way and late in life too late really but when my wife passed I had to go through probate on my own house all our assets as I just put everything into her accounts.etc.. worked for 29 years...until.
    We never thought about it not once seriously at least
    Things just happened too fast we weren't able to focus on that...
    So I pretty much lost everything left with a small suitcase of cash and started over.. let's not call it a suitcase let's call it a big shoe box...lol I wish it was a suitcase...lol anyways I tell everybody not to overlook that anymore if they're married and they have children get down there and get something written up notarized and legally processed
    Just get it done ASAP

14. To me it does to have it done by a reputable firm.

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I’m pretty high right now but am gonna go pull another couple tubes to see if I can make sense of this post.

Yzasserina and 27 like this.
  16. 27

27 Well-Known Member

you’ll have to back up a day or so, then a little deeper on the play on words between me and sasssy then to Chris about BS... mostly it was a spelling error that took its own tangent trajectory

what are “tubes”? I’m out of the burn lingo maybe... tokes?

immortal gains are the ones earned only by your soul, all that you give all that you take, you know the ones you can’t leave behind...

17. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

fiance paid 800 here...through a law firm, multiple properties.

18. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Well of course Mr.Bacon.

19. As long as the attorneys went to prominent universities of course :)

20. First of all I hate to hear this. This is why even a basic amount of paperwork is critical. With daughters 17 and 18 it’s becoming less critical as far as parental rights but our son is still ten and although the OP stated he has no kids for others out there who do you really need to set up what happens to your kids if you both pass on. We have it set up where good friends of ours will parent our son (and 17 year old until she’s 18 next month), who handles the trust as I don’t want my kids at say 18 and 19 getting all their $ at once, etc, etc. This takes some more time, money with attorneys etc but to me having seen friends pass and people fighting over who gets the kids (and not sure if it was due to wanting the kids or the $ that came with them) it’s a messed up situation. Obviously this takes some serious conversations with who ever will parent your kids, our friends didn’t hesitate and said they’d be honored and were very taken back the fact we thought so highly of them. With my dad passing at 16 and no will, I wanted a couple things not of great value, maybe 7% of entire estate which after some back and forth was able to secure financing to even offer purchase it from my step mom. She resented me so much because my dad and I were best friends she just tried to make my life hell. She won that battle but being vindictive and having a good friend who’s father is a partner in one of the top law firms in Canada, a few years later he did me a solid and paid the favor back. He just wished he’d known what was going on sooner because what I wanted was gone and destroyed. My dad always wanted a Corvette and year before he died he went and bought a brand new one, cash. I just wanted the car and even said I’ll sign paperwork where I cannot even drive it until I’m 25. Nope. She hated the car and hated the fact him and I would be gone all day driving in it.