1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much are trailers marked up?

Discussion in 'General' started by pefrey, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The markup on trailers is steep. I believe you can get a trailer for 2/3 of list. With so mnay trailers for sale, if the first guy won't deal, walk away and go down the street. To quote William Shatner..."negotiate".

2. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Same thing I was thinking..

3. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Not the same priciple as described by a previous poster. The previous guy said that the dollar is worth less over time, I said it's worth the same. Five years ago you could get a gallon of gas for about $1. Now it's about $4. It's not the "decreasing" value of the dollar caused this. $1 is still worth $1.

A similar concept occurs between weight and mass.

4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

If you really are spending CASH that you have, you should be looking at some of the nice used stuff out there. Some great deals on used stuff right now.

5. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Good point. I planned on showing up with my low ball in an envelope, then having to go to an ATM to get any extra.

(I wish I knew how to multi-quote)

6. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

+ infiinity, makes you look like a jackass, :(

Just offer him the $2500, worst he will say is no, but say X amount is the lowest I'll go.

You see the + icon to the bottom right, click each post that you want to quote, it will light up red, this allows you to quote multiple posts.

7. Sulli

Sulli Well-Known Member

A friend recently bought an enclosed 10ftr for like 3k that was really nice. Drive to clarksville to t it tho..
    ---

Value of the US dollar has been on a decline since 98... don't want to get all technical but that is what has caused the inflation in the international market and import/export of goods.

The higher the US budget deficit incurred in foreign exchange declines the overall value of OUR $1... plus the new incentive program that is giving FREE money away to US residents to stimulate purchasing is going to depreciate the value as well. Printing more money only decreases the overall value, and won't change spending habits.

8. Sulli

Sulli Well-Known Member

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sulli - seriously, one more shot at posting political shit in here and you'll be gone forever. Not sure why I'm being nice but I am so don't expect it again.

10. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Offer the $2500 but expect to pay a bit more. If you are willing to go to $3000 they don't need to know.

I doubt you will get $1000 off of a $3500 trailer.

We just bought a 24 enclosed Featherlite all aluminum trailer. They dealers wouldn't come off of their prices more than $500 with use paying cash and I'm talking $16,000 trailers. Now, we are talking Featherlite which is kind of the Cadillac of enclosed aluminum trailers. The dealers other brands they would bargain on.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  11. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

If you lowball him too much and then ask what he will take he might tell you to "get bent". That's what I started doing with the clowns on Craigslist calling and offering me half what I was asking for stuff, then wanting to know what I would take and hanging up since they weren't getting it for free. After 20 or 30 calls like that you begin to lose patience. Look on Ebay, Craigslist, local classifieds, etc. and get a decent idea of what the trailer is worth, then make a reasonable offer.

Guys at the fab shop have said that the cost of materials has gone through the roof, and has put a damper on their business as well.

12. DangerZone

DangerZone CAUTION!

That's why I said not to insult the guy. There's a line you can go up to but you have to be careful not to cross it.

13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

And if he's like me that line is a moving target, it's location being determined by how many chuckleheads have already called that day.

"How much for the vette?"

"9k."

"9k? Car ain't worth that, best I can see is 3250. When can I pick it up?"

click

14. DangerZone

DangerZone CAUTION!

:D

Oh and I'll give you 7500 for it. :p

15. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

See, that would have been a reasonable starting point...as long as you didn't call after the first guy. :D

16. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I think I have a good idea where the line is between lowball and offensive. I started this email as a reality check to that understanding. I don't want to offer $2,700 on a $3,000 trailer and have the guy counter with $2,800 when if I started with $2,500 he would have countered with $2,700.