1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How loud are 250's?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Focker, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Kicking around the idea of moving from an SV to a 250GP bike. Any idea how many db they run at? My local track has a pretty severe sound restriction.

Thanks!

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

You too? But it'll be a few years for me.

3. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I have no idea on Db numbers, but IMO they are quieter then a 4st race bikes

4. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

hmmm - OK

I know 125's had trouble making sound a few years back when they ran here.

Is there a good source/article for getting info on the costs of running a 250? I tried searching USGPRU but I think I suck at the internet.

5. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

6. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Thats interesting. TZ125 is one cylinder of TZ250... Silencers are the same. Redline same.... I wonder why 125's had problems with sound levels. To me they are quiter...

7. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Sorry Alex, maybe I should qualify that. Our db limit is 90db measured track side on the front straight.

8. fredybender

fredybender Well-Known Member

90 Db on the straight, nope...
    Most of the sound checks at the tracks I go to, follow the same specs as the EPA, etc: They are usually done at 75% of red line, at no load.

I passed with both my TZ & my RS.
    But on the straight at WOT, nope I was louder than 1-1/2 billion bees in a grain silo with a megaphone ;)

Fred

9. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

I was corner working and they did the sound checks right under me and not one bike was as low as 90db. Most were 95-98. A few were 105db. It was funny how some bikes seemed loud and they didn't register any louder on the meter. I figure it was the pitch or tone. It was a vintage meet and they have 125gp's and they all pased. No classes for 250gp though. Radio Shack sells the meters.

10. fredybender

fredybender Well-Known Member

250GP, a thoroughbred that needs no accolytes except for the fact that they are only second to unobtanium GP500...

11. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

12. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

13. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I've been kicking myself for the last 1.5 years for not snapping up an RS250 when it was available.

Any suggestions for a bike at $6K? RS or TZ? The RS250 I was looking at before was able to make sound with fresh repack. I think they bent the sound rules for him though.

14. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

Have you spoken to Steve @ RS Cycles?
    http://www.rscycles.com/

Here is an ad from the site...>>>
    >>>

FOR SALE - 1992 Yamaha TZ250 -
    COMPLETELY rebuilt by Tim O'connor & Manny Zambrana w/ZERO hours - motor needs heat cycles & break-in...epoxied & matched cases, ported & polished newly Millenium replated cylinders, STAGE 4 Zambrana polished crank & rods, new pistons, rings, bearings & reeds...seviced forks, new chain, new water heater (saves engine with less warm-up time needed) new cables & pulleys, repacked stingers...ALL WITH ZERO HOURS...BEAUTIFUL PAINT!...READY FOR BREAK-IN & RACING!!! AVAILABLE @ LOUDON...CALL 212-975-9129 or EMAIL RAFAEL AT [email protected]
    MAKE OFFER STARTING AT-REDUCED TO $6,500.00
    CLOSE RATIO TRANS AVAILABLE $1,500.00

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  15. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

Tim O'conner knows TZ250's.

16. camp170

camp170 Well-Known Member

Buy a TZ250 and if needed run the longer silencers that are avail-mfactory makes them for 100.00 a piece and there nice pieces.

17. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

yup,the M-4's were always a little more quiet then any other silencer,you could always fab a little piece to add to the end of the silencer as well,should knock a few DB's off

18. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

Carlos Neves is selling his rs250.

Super clean...

19. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

In terms of cost to run a 250, when I was running one in `01, `02, Kevin Murray told me it worked out to about $3.50 or so a mile.(Willow Springs) IIRC.

The 125 was less than $2. a mile.

Of `course, The cost of tires is up, the cost of race gas is up, entries...etc.

20. peter leduc

peter leduc Agaperacing.com

Costs

My RS125 costs about $1.5 per mile using tires for 3 race weekends and rebuilding absolutely everything myself. This should probably be considered to be on the low end of the extreem. It should also be noted that a TZ125 is almost $100 cheaper per 300 mile piston/top end life. You should also know that a 250GP machine isn't 2x as expensive it's more like 3x so $4-4.5 per mile isn't a bad estimate. 100 miles = $400 + $180 track day fee = $600 or so for each track day.

Maybe I won't sell my 125 to get a TZ250.