1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How important is power?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by kbro45, Jul 15, 2015.

1. kbro45

kbro45 Well-Known Member

I currently have an 04' GSXR 600, which is a few horsepower down on power compared to most 06+ bikes. I realize that there are many things to work on to get faster, but I want to know if in the long run my 04' would be competitive in novice SS "C".

I have only done track days, never raced. Should I move on to a newer bike or put money into my current bike?

Thanks!

2. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

What is your goal with this road racing thing? You looking to have fun, win a MotoGP championship, or something in between?

In the Novice class skill separates riders more than power, in Expert having a fast bike is more important to be up front.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  3. kbro45

kbro45 Well-Known Member

Just looking to have fun for the most part, of course I still want to be as competitive as I can while I am out there.

4. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Power is more of a concern when you're chasing down faster guys, like Mechdziner said.

I started on an '04 R6. Before I bought any upgrades at all, I decided, it's not worth it to spend thousands upgrading an outdated bike, when I could spend that same money on a newer R6. I was more concerned with getting upgraded suspension and a slipper clutch.

I did my first year on that old bike, was super comfortable and enjoyed it. Then when that year was over, sold it and bought a newer R6 because I had decided this is a sport I will be into for a while. After racing on the old stock R6, I thoroughly appreciate all the new things that I get to enjoy, like the slipper clutch, quick shifter, etc.

5. Jason P.

Jason P. Well-Known Member

I like the old saying:

'You want to ride a fast bike slow or a slow bike fast?'

If you're looking to have fun and enjoy the first year of racing then just raced what you have now, learn the skills and techniques as you can from faster riders, ride the shit out of your bike and upgrade over winter if you still find the need to go faster.

I seen plenty of guys on SVs in my class that are slow on the straights compared to my R6 but close the gap each and every freaking time in the corners.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Depends what you have already done. If suspension and a good tune aren't part of your current bike, I'd dump it for a nice race-prepped bike of newer vintage. It will likely be cheaper that way.

What might be considered "must haves" for a race-prepped track bike?
    Bodywork - Sharkskinz or ArmourBodies.
    520 conversion - DID ERV3 chain and AFAM or Renthal sprockets -1/+1,2,3.
    Fairing stay - Vortex.
    Steering stabilizer.
    Braided steel brake lines and Vesrah pads.
    Rearsets and clip-ons if you don't like the current ergonomics.
    Lastly, the big dollar stuff, suspension and tune.
    This would include a cartridge kit and aftermarket rear shock as well as an exhaust, air filter and piggy-back fuel mapping.

Buy all that stuff ˆˆˆ by itself new, install it yourself, and easily spend $6k.

Or, buy all that stuff already installed on a proven, running package of newer vintage and spend $6K, or less, for the whole deal. Search "600" in the "bikes for sale" forum and see if something doesn't catch your eye.

7. kbro45

kbro45 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the replies. I have only added clip ons and rear sets to my bike as well as having it sprung for my weight, so I'm not too deep into it. I'm on the fence about putting a little money into it, or selling it and putting the money toward something a little newer that already has these upgrades.

The one thing that is really holding me back is that my bike runs like a champ and I know it inside and out. I know its a solid bike.

Thanks again for the help.

8. fastfreddie

I missed the main question, "How important is power?"
    Not as much as one might think.
    Power is good for 1-1.5 sec/lap.
    Suspension is good for 2-3 sec/lap.
    If you consider tires part of the suspension, take another 1-3 sec/lap over a stock bike.
    3-6 seconds for tires and suspension?!? Yeah, pretty much.
    Horsepower just makes it more fun, depending on your risk tolerance. :D

9. fastfreddie

As long as you're still in the meat of the damping adjustments, there's not much need to get spendy with the suspension. When the OEM suspension shows its limits, its time to move on.
    Some bodywork to preserve the stock stuff, a 520 conversion and it sounds like you'd have a nice sleeper. Bear in mind that an exhaust can knock off a lot of unwanted weight, too.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've seen a good expert racer take a winning Novices bike with zero changes for the expert and go 2 seconds a lap faster than the winning Novice ever did, same day, same track, back to back races.

Power means nothing at this point in your learning. Suspension is better to work on first but the main thing is riding. More track time, more learning.

Too many people are blowing all of their money on the hardware when it's the software that is holding them back. It's been a bad trend for a while in racing.

11. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I would race an '04 without even thinking about a newer bike... If it's got inverted forks and fuel injection, it's better than I am ever going to be. The only question is whether or not you could sell your bike and buy one of similar year that is already set up with race bodywork and full suspension for the same price.

As for power, the more powerful the bikes, the less the discrepancy between them matters. Think of the difference in horsepower as a percentage difference, rather than looking at it as "I'm down 15 horsepower." My bike made around 100hp at the wheel while others were certainly making over 115. They had a 15% horsepower advantage over me. If we were racing SV's 15hp difference would have been over 20% difference. The effect gets more dramatic as you drop into smaller and slower bikes.

For novice race purposes, suspension, seat time, and try not to crash.

12. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

Made accurate.

13. kbro45

kbro45 Well-Known Member

True, it doesn't seem like the tech has advanced much since my 04'. Its got radial mounted brakes, inverted forks, and fi. It seems like the only thing I would be missing is a few hp and a slipper clutch. Luckily I have never had a bike with a slipper so its not like I would be missing it. My last bike was a 96' fzr 600, so my GSXR feels very modern to me.

14. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

just get some race body work for it and run what you brung :)

15. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I believe that most have covered it well here. However, the only comment that I woud add is that there are a few tracks where power can offset skill level.

I have never ridden at the old Moroso track in WPB but I used to visit there plenty as a spectator and those two long straight away sections favorite the bike with the big power.

16. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

Race what you have and invest in YOU. Whether it be YCRS, KH Coaching or a similar performance / racing education program coupled with as much track time as you can manage spend your money here first. You will see a larger reduction in laptime per dollar spent taking this approach than any other.

If, like most, you're more inclined to invest in your bike and skip investing in yourself let me ask you... Did/Do you play competitive sports? Were you coached? Did it make you better? Racing is no different. Want to go fast? You need to educate yourself.

If you've already been down that path then there is some very good advice regarding next steps for your bike included in this thread?

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The most complicated piece of equipment on a race bike is located on top of the seat.

18. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Fortunately/unfortunately, most communication, or transfer is through what is in contact with the seat. If that part is not doing its job, there is little to be made of all the computing power at the very top or in the machine.

19. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Not very important.

When I started racing, I spent my money on a motor instead of tires and suspension. I wish I'd done the opposite. Years later, after finally figuring out that it's not the engine that makes you go fast, my bike has really nice suspension and a de-tuned motor (had planned to race the TT with it and reeeeeally didn't want it blowing up) and I can still put it well into the pointy end of the field. I'm down 5, maybe 10hp on some of the other bikes... I just draft them. And I pocket the $200 in race fuel per weekend and $2000 in motor rebuild each season.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  20. ped

ped Banned

If it weren't a big deal people wouldn't spend $150 on a pale of MR12...nor would they spend $5k on "supersport" builds