1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How hard is an MV F3 to live with as a race bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by xxaarraa, Jun 2, 2019.

1. AJ

AJ Well-Known Member

F3's are one of the best handling middleweights out there, something to do with the reverse rotating crank.
    So major suspension changes may not be needed immediately.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

so is the r6, that doesn't mean the suspension is track ready

3. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

He coaches on it, but he hasn't raced it.

rafa likes this.
  4. Do you have aspirations of going to WSS or MotoAmerica anytime soon?

If not, and you want the MV, then get it. Fuck what everyone else thinks. It is your money, and your fun.

I heard a lot of the same shit when I ordered the 1299S. At the time, nobody was racing one (only a few people had seen one in person). Sure, I could have just gotten an R1 and been quicker out of the box, but that isn't always the point. This is a hobby we do for fun. There is something very rewarding about taking a bike nobody else is racing, and making it competitive. It took a lot of trial and error, many changes, and came with some aggravation, but we made it work.

I ultimately set a PB on it at Talladega which says a lot because I have a ton of laps there on a lot of different bikes. I went over 0.5sec faster on the 1299S than I ever went on the R6, ZX6R, 675R, R1, RSV4, GSXR750, GSXR600, or 1098S.

In fairness, Livengood was in my pit the whole time. There is no way I could have done it without him. I wouldn't suggest taking on such a challenge on your own. But I feel like I became better because of it. I learned what to look/feel for, what feedback he needed, learned what small changes in various things translated to on the track, so on and so forth. The tuner can only be as good as the feedback you are providing, and at first I sucked. While it was aggravating at times and came with struggles, I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

Personally, I say if you want it, go for it. You don't want to wake up one day an old man and think "shit, I wish I would have tried that when I had the chance, I wonder what I could have done...". Even if you do ultimately end up wasting some time and money, fuck it. At least you went for it.

deathblow, joec, FourThreeSix and 3 others like this.
  5. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

From what you said, you're considering the bike for track day and amateur racing. You can make almost any platform work for that purpose. And the most important thing is to race something you like and are excited to play with (and work on).

That being said, I have spent alot of time on oddball bikes and if your goal is to improve to the highest level you are capable of (whatever that means), it can be done cheaper and more quickly by riding the bikes everyone else is riding, stealing their setup info, and spend your laps working on yourself as a rider.

I rode 2 MV 675's, I was looking at getting one. Cool bikes, but as others have said, you'll need to be comfortable being the pathfinder or spending more money than you would on any other platform to get it right.

Even after that, expect to be pulled by stock R6's. The bikes are slower than other middleweights. And not just with me riding them :)