1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How hard is an MV F3 to live with as a race bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by xxaarraa, Jun 2, 2019.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

Parts it made it to the back straight. It was impressive. I can't remember who was riding it.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Scassa or Lynn are your choices.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I heard Scassa's name during the 24 hours of Le Mans a couple of weeks ago. It felt like the first time since the late 2000s. I had no idea he was still racing.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

He's only 36.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's not that I thought he was old, I just haven't heard his name mentioned anywhere. That said, I haven't had Italian championship coverage on TV in a couple of years. Maybe he's racing there?

6. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

i thought that 765 Triumph Daytona was available already... guess they are waiting to see what moto2 does to the engine lol

7. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

There's been no official word, that I've seen, that Triumph is going to get back in the middleweight supersport field.

8. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

I owned a 13 F3 675 a couple years ago. I wanted one so bad and when i got the chance to buy one for cheap in mint shape with no miles I sold my cbr and bought it. Big mistake.. fueling was horrific, parts were non existent and there was a time when i had a difficult time finding an oil filter and i had a small oil leak i couldn't find that the dealer couldn't fix.. traded it for a 16 959 and while i eventually got the ducati setup well for the track i'm not on a 17 R6 and so much happier... coulda saved money this whole time..

BigBird likes this.
  9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Don't spose you have any pics of that 959? Daddy like. Daddy want. :clap:

10. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Steeltoe likes this.
  11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Traitorous bastage, he is watching
    [​IMG]

12. mram0256

mram0256 Member

Try @TX Joose. He does fairly well on his MV race bike. I’ll direct him here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

As per usual, people like to talk about things they have no experience with. Lots of hearsay. There were a handful of known issues to lookout for in the earlier years when it was first released and had some bugs to work out (sprag, fueling) and faulty or weak valves could be a roll of the dice. MV should have done some better testing. They have since rectified a bunch of the early year issues but you hear a lot of negativity stateside because those racers tried racing the bike during the teething phase and MV didn't have the support structure, especially in the US. Since then it's never really recovered. The past few years 675 have been much improved over say the 2012 or 2013s. I had way more problems with my ZX10 and R6 TBH. The only disadvantage is USED parts availability and a lot of suspension "gurus" assuming the bike geometry is like an R6 or the like.
    It will go just as fast as any other middleweight, you just have to find your way, give proper feedback to a knowledgeable suspension dude, or know those who have done it and ping them for info.

14. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

Better get one soon, rumors abound of an imminent update highlighted by a single sided swingarm.

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

TBH those are some pretty big teething issues and the usually no one has data issues.

And, If you are not a fast rider or know how to communicate the issues, then you're pretty much toast.

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Well that sucks. :(

Wouldn't mind picking up a used once I stop being broke. I like that bike a lot.

17. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I can't agree with this completely. First year new bikes generally have some sort of issues . Especially in the electronics age. R1 crank and transmission come to mind. Suzuki rectifier. zx6 and zx10 trans. R6 had FI issues in it's early days. Don't start me on Ducati lol. Honda burning oil. BMW electronics gremlins. The list goes on. Folks have a short memory sometimes.

OP I responded to your PM.

xxaarraa and BigBird like this.
  18. BigBird

BigBird blah

I think the big difference is the support. You have much larger players, Yamaha, Honda, etc., and dealer network. You have from prior experience that they'll fix issues, where here you just have hope that they'll fix it as some point.

TX Joose likes this.
  19. O’grady

O’grady New Member

I think it’s at Barber. Seem to recall seeing it recently

20. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Wasnt Dave Moss racing one on the west coast?