1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How far is a Cedar Point from Mid-Ohio?

Discussion in 'General' started by MAZZ77X, Jun 30, 2014.

1. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

If you're coming back via PA Turnpike, you can hit Hersheypark or Kennywood near Pittsburgh.
    Haven't been on the PA Turnpike heading west in a while, but, one thing is for certain, there will be construction and it will slow you down. Plus, the tolls keep going up and up (if you don't have ezpass, get it...it will save you a few bucks). Consider getting off at Harrisburg and heading north to pick up 80 near Bellefonte/State College. But, if you're towing, there will be some hills that will have you cursing this advice.
    You could also pick up the northeast extension of the PA Turnpike and pick up 80. If you go that route, you could hit Dorney Park in Allentown.
    All 3 routes are within 20 miles difference of each other and will take about the same amount of time.

2. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

As has been said go on a Tuesday for best results. Preferably before the schools get out for summer. My record for coaster rides in one day there is 13 and we didn't stay in the evening when it started to get busy. Once you get to that number though their effects start to wear off.

I still think the Magnum's first hill is the better than Millennium's. The clicking and slowness on the way up along with the looseness of the cars as they whip over the top. Is the best. It feels like it curves back under itself with longer negative G's. The rest of the Magnum is weak compared to the Millennium though.

I thought I heard that the top thrill was removed. It always seemed to be broken when I was there. Broke down while I was in line for it once too. OK launch but a very short ride for the time spent in line.

There is a new coaster at the front gate that looks cool. I haven't been in 5ish years though. I need to get there soon.

Also, back on ripping Ohio. It should be nuked for their damn red light and speeding cameras and radar speed sensors on the highways that make my V1 go off every 20 seconds

3. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

We moved away from Cleveland (Mentor on the Lake) in 1991. Going to Cedar Point is just about the only thing I miss.....

4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess you've not been to Cedar Point. Am I right?

5. :stupid:

It's like comparing and RC 213 V to an RS 125. Sure you can have a lot of fun on the 125, but it's not nearly the same.

6. I haven't been there in a long time, but the Beast is still one of my all time favorites. I love how it winds through the woods and you can't see much of the track.

7. worthless

Not in quite a while. No idea how old the OP's daughter is or how much he feels like driving out of his way knowing he has 8+ hrs ahead of him. Hersheypark has put some pretty cool rides up recently. Nothing like the Millenium Force, but, still some cool stuff.

8. MAZZ77X

MAZZ77X Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the good advise.

Where can you leave a cooler where it would be safe?

My daughter is 11 and my son is 14, both coaster freaks and tall enough so it should be a great time.

Well be there wed/thur after the WERA National VMD weekend. Headed back to Jersey via PA Turnpike (I think is the best route???) to NJMP for CCS on Sat/Sun.

Jam packed week! ;)

9. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i went there years ago on a drive from Canada to ga, it was awesome. If I was anywhere near it again, I would make a point to return. have fun!

10. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Leave the cooler in your car. You can go in and out all day. If you do not mind ponying up a couple extra hundred, buy the fast lane pass. You can cut every line straight to the front no matter how long the wait is. This is especially nice on hot, busy days with 2 hour waits. It makes for a more relaxed day as well because you will be enjoying a beer on the midway while everyone else has to spend 10 hours of the day in line. Added bonus, you get to feel the hatred from every one else in line as you walk down your own special isle to the ride :) Most you'll wait with that is about 15 minutes but usually 0 to 5 minutes. I'll never go there with out purchasing one again. We usually hit it up a couple times a year.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  11. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

Yes, from Cedar Point your best route is probably 80 to 76. Unfortunately that will be a toll road the whole way.

12. worthless

Pretty sure 76 is the only toll road, not 80. May want to consider taking 80 to 322 or 80 to the northeast extension of the turnpike then down to 76 if you want to save $15 plus in tolls.

13. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

In Ohio, 80 is the Turnpike until you get near Youngstown. From Cedar Point 80 to 76 would be toll the whole way.

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

How does Cedar Point compare to Magic Mountain?

15. I haven't been to magic mountain, but Millennium Force at CP is always rated as one of the best coasters in the world, and they also have a big wooden coaster that routinely ranks really high. Plus, they have 8-10 other fun coasters. A few other parks may be comparable, but I doubt any are better overall. I've been to Kennywood, CP, Kings Island, Bush Gardens, Kings Dominion, and Hershey Park, and CP is by far the best out of those.

16. Yep. It's much more affordable than the PA turnpike though. They used to be similarly priced, but PA has raised the rates every single year for the past 9 years. :mad:

17. worthless

And the savings from using ezpass has become significant.
    The full run from Ohio to Del Mem Bridge for a car is $43.90. With ezpass, $31.38.

18. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

These articles always make going to coaster parks more fun

OOPS

19. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

don't forget

[​IMG]

20. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

reason number 1094 to leave this god forsaken state