1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how embarrassing...

Discussion in 'General' started by Tristan, Oct 3, 2022.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

For the Ridgeline customers, I researched buying a new one, 2021-22. After a while, the discrepancies in their then current build quality made me drop them from the list of potential purchases. From a leaking body seam under the rear window, overheating transaxle operation, that fucked up cylinder deactivation BS that absolutely ruins engines - regardless what any protagonists say - , paint quality issues, cheap interior, ad nauseam...
    Sorry, Honda, your once primary color has faded to an oxidized pastel. Polish on a turd is what you're selling these days.

IF I went the midsize route today, I'd be looking at the Colorado, Ranger and Frontier, but they each have things I already don't like. Choosing the tolerable compromise would be what makes the decision.
    Kia/Hyundai abortions? Not even on the radar.

You know what would really do it for me in the midsize category? A late '60s-early '70s El Camino. GTFO of my way! :D

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

How the hell do you keep a vehicle that long and the miles that low?

britx303 likes this.
  3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

C'mon who are you kidding? It wouldn't be luxurious enough for you. Ain't no Hyundai that will rival the Porsche Bacon, or Jaguar SUV that your have already grown tired of, nor the Porsche GT that your are almost tired of before it even arrives? :crackup:

Gorilla George likes this.
  4. fastfreddie

I take our dually in to NYC rarely to never. When I do, I never park...it's load and go. That's not to say I haven't parallel parked in the Upper East Side, or dragged a 7x14 enclosed trailer into Midtown while having a building's service bay to back into on a crosstown street with parallel parked cars on both sides. (That was a necessary 2-point backing turn, with no spotters).
    What did I learn from these experiences?
    Damn, I'm good. :D

Realistically, it just takes a bit of precognitive thought. Trust me, the times I haven't stopped to think have cost me a turn signal assembly, dually fender damage (both sides), garage door trim, a creased front bumper... :crackup:Shit happens. I don't see it being much different than on any other vehicle(s) when operating in unfamiliar territory.

Once a Wanker.. and BigBird like this.
  5. fastfreddie

In 2020, I put a total of 93 miles on our dually...had no use for it that year. Barring the last two years, the dually has averaged ~8500 miles a year in use, mostly towing. This year isn't looking like much of a usage year either, but it's no reason to get rid of it.

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I had 1 garage queen’Yota like that. All the rest of the countless yotas have been regular users. It was a 1990 22RE Hilux/pickup, with 90K on the clock in 1999. Showroom pristine. Had to drive it to work one day and an uninsured dickface fleeing the police hit me from behind at 120mph on the DC beltway, and sent me tumbling/rolling sideways for several rotations before going off down a ditch and slammed sideways to a stop up against a tree. Besides my new 2000 Taco, that ‘90 was the nicest I ever had and tried to preserve it:(

BigBird likes this.
  7. Hondo

Hondo Well-Known Member

Seriously? I have that amp and am trying to picture how you secured it.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The proper response is pics or it didn't happen.

9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I
    I use my motorcycle to get around mostly. Have van for bike transport.

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The End.

sdg likes this.
  11. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

With a van, your stuff is all locked up whenever you stop. And you can sleep in it.

@10,000 feet elevation:
    Screenshot 2022-10-04 155543.jpg

12. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Yep. This ^^^

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  13. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

It was a 2001 model, back when the pillion pad was a little bigger than now. Ratcheting tie-downs were used to hold it in place with, I think, the passenger peg brackets as anchors. Can’t remember as it’s been a’while. It was installed vertically with the long sides transverse to direction of travel.

No photos, but if you ask Marty at Motor City Guitar in Michigan, he’ll tell you all about it.

14. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

How about six of ‘em doused in lime and stuffed in two heavy-duty trash bags?

britx303 likes this.
  15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

What year/motor ?

The right ambulance makes for great work trucks

16. fastfreddie

'06 6.0...ARP head studs, new injectors, new high-pressure oil pump, don't yet know if it's EGR delete. <200K miles.

Local 6.0 guy says this one is good to go, a strong runner and shouldn't give any problems for the rest of its life.
    Was purchased for a song-n-dance from another 6.0 guy running a HVAC business. His location out in the PA wilderness was the cause of the low sale price.
    A couple days cleaning it for a few hours at a time revealed the need for some cosmetic touches, an inverter and a reconnect of the box heater core's vacuum actuator(s) under the cowl.

We've installed the tie downs for the bikes. Stupid simple getting the bikes in/out, even using the side door for unload of the first loaded bike...it rolled right down the steps. :crackup:

Tested its towing capacity the other day. Some dude broke down in his RAM towing a gooseneck with a tractor on it less than a mile from his destination late at night. My buddy strapped the guy's rig to a clevis ring, towed him slightly downhill for a bit, then uphill for the better half of the 3/4 mile journey.
    It's redneck country 'round these here parts. ;)

17. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Why close the tailgate? I set it up so the tailgate would stay down and use the ramps as a bed extender because if youre not
    taking the trailer, its better to have the extra room.... but the sport bikes will fit if you put the front wheel against the front (you'll see the front wheels
    are not flush against the front (there are two Honda 2000's in front), the sport bikes are TRS'd on an 8 sheet of plywood, and the GS is in a Baxley with a longer wheel base and just barely doesnt fit....

3D03D0D2-33FB-4944-8177-18F8F5AE3BD7.jpeg

36791F26-0FF9-4663-9ECC-52157EF27B4C.jpeg 2E2578D5-7A53-49A0-8301-F0E8B1C5C4DC.jpeg

2CA7DB11-54AD-4F6E-817C-A0080E54BBE4.jpeg

27DC71E4-6C06-4BBD-B181-5C0E3738D208.jpeg

2BB186F0-4180-4764-ADBB-DBF9A94C5FFE.jpeg

18. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

What trifold ramp is that? Just curious, for years I used a solid ramp, now have a bifold from cycle gear but wouldn't mind having the bed extender as an option if it's my ramp.

19. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Two 9 or 10 ft bifold ramps (cant remember), each positioned at 90 degrees (one side of each inside the bed, the other side over lapping on the tailgate with ratchet straps to hold them in place - they dont move).....first time I did it, took about an hour to position and lock them down, now when I need to do it, takes less than 5 mins.....cant take credit, learned the trick from a good friend.

Once a Wanker.. and socalrider like this.
  20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?