1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you clean carburetors?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dragon, Nov 30, 2004.

1. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

How do

2. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

Oops....

How do you clean carbs, what tools do you need, solvents, etc. Think I'm gonna have to try doing them tomorrow, and all I have is a shop manual.

Help!!

3. dave333

dave333 traveler

What kind of carbs? From what kind of bike? What problem are you trying to remedy or are you just a neat freak?

4. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

It is an r6. I have one cold exhaust pipe header, and think I am some how not getting enough fuel to the cylinder. Spark is good.

5. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Carb cleaner!! Dahh

6. dave333

dave333 traveler

Did you check compression in that cylinder?

7. dave333

dave333 traveler

Take the bowls off and remove the jets, floats and needles. Take the tops off and remove the slides and diaphrams. Spray / soak the bodies and jets. Gently clean off the slides. Blow the bodies and jets dry.

Basically, you separate the rubber parts from the metal parts, soak and/or spray the metal parts thoroughly and then used compressed air to blow out / dry them. Inspect the rubber parts for wear and replace as necessary.

8. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

Yeah, compression is good...I think. I bought a sears compression gauge and it gives me a range of 138 to 160 PSI across all the cylinders, with the one that is not firing being in the top two highest. I know the actual pressure is supposed to be higher than that, but I'm thinking that since all 4 cyclinders are lower, and about the same, that the gauge is probably not calibrated properly.

Will get some carb cleaner and rip that sucker apart tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

marc

9. 418

418 Expert #59

If you have to ask, you shouldn't be attempting it...

9 out of 10 times, when a customer says they have rebuild/cleaned their carbs, the first thing I recommend is a carb rebuild/clean.

Everybody knows how to do it...now one seems to be able to get it done properly. :rolleyes:

10. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

yep gotta agree, if you dont know what you are doing kepp your hands out of it

11. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

Someone get Salsa Boy in here to show this guy how to work on his bike.:D

The going rate for carb cleaning a few years ago at an independent shop was $240 plus parts. Doing it yourself right can cut that to just parts. Doing it wrong can cost a lot more. I think everyone SHOULD work on their own bike. BUT you should have help from someone who knows what they are doing right next to you the first couple of times you perform a task.

Do you KNOW that you are getting spark to the "cold" cylinder? Does it get hot once you get the rpms up? That bike has stick coils so one could be bad. Practice electricuting yourself by pulling the spark plug on that cylinder. Ground it to the case while starting the bike. Look for spark. Do not touch the pretty blue spark or become the ground. I like to use a spare plug instead of letting the cylinder puff gas towards my ignition source. You could just swap the coil and see if the problem moves.

The parts of a carb that get clogged are the little passages. Not the big(relative) honkin main jet. Carb cleaner and safety glasses go hand in hand. Wearing an old shirt helps too. Cold soak eats rubber. Diaphragm's are delicate, must be seated properly and are expensive($55). Be meticulous. Observe closely. Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Sweep the floor before you start disassembly. Sweep under the bench too. It makes it easier to find something if you drop it. Do one carb at a time. That way you still have a "control" sample that you can refer to. Inside the pilot/air mixture screw there is a small o-ring that has to be seated just so. Do not lose it or let it get pinched between the screw and the seat. Removing floats can be tricky. Snap one of the little posts off and you just bought a new carb. Get help from someone that can hold your hand while you do this stuff. You will learn cheaper that way.

I am not trying to talk down to you or scare you into paying someone to do it. I have put some of my time/money into a customers bike. Learning the hard way always leaves a lasting impression.

12. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

Again, I'm looking for help from people who have had this bike or currently ride the bike, and have done this particular job. I've found that taking my bike to a dealer and having some 19 year old kid who is a "technician" touch my bike is often far worse than doing the job myself, learning about my bike, and making sure the job is done right in the first place. No one will take care of your stuff better than you will. To most techs it is just another bike to work on, finish, and get out the door.

I am mainly trying to find out why my #4 cyclinder's exhaust pipe is so much cooler than the rest, i.e. not combusting gasoline. Just bought the bike, and am trying to fix it. Compression and spark are fine. Will take apart and clean #4 carb tomorrow. To those who have offered their advice, it is appreciated. To those who think only they have the intellect to work on a device that mixes gas and air, as if they are special, good for you. I don't know everything about carbs, yet. But I will learn, just like anyone learns anything else, buy experience, i.e. trial and error. If I f them up, oh well, will buy a used one on ebay for 100 dollars. Still saves me 150 dollars from paying some 19 year old at a dealership who knows less than I do. And that is part of the problem in the first place; previous owner took it to a shop to "get the carbs cleaned," and now it does this. Whatever expert worked on it before wasn't much of an expert.

13. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Dude, I can certainly understand your perspective and your willingness to do everything yourself and learn about your bike, but your rant (see above) ain't the way to get help around here. Everyone here's got an opinion and/or advice. You just have to sift through that ones that you think are full of shit or don't hold water.

If you hang around long enough, you'll learn that Hagasan's an ass, but he does know a thing or two and is sincerely trying to help... Isn't that right, Hagasan? :D

Personally, I think takin' it to a dealer that you know and trust isn't such a bad idea. If you don't have one that you know and/or trust, get a friend that knows carbs to help, at least on the first one. Carbs are one of those things that can be a royal pain in the ass if you get them out of whack.

And my last words of wisdom about this board - if you ask a question, be prepared to get at least one answer you least expected. :D

14. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

Appreciate everybody's input except people who act like asses. Thanks Crusty and Dave, your replies were constructive and helpful, and being that this was the first time I did this, it was a lot of help. I'll be sure to pass on the advice once I'm more knowledgeable.

As far as the bike, problems are solved. Adjusted the float bowel height, took out and cleaned the jets on the #4 carb, and resync'd the carbs, and now the bike rips. Whoever the previous owner took it to to clean the carbs evidently didn't do too good of a job, because there was varnish all over inside. The other jets looked ok. Couple of parts were in backwards here and there too. This was reportedly a good shop. Just goes to show you...

Took me a few days, but ended up saving a few hundred dollars, and now know a whole lot more about my bike.

Thanks to everyone who offered constructive advice.

Marc

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  15. 418

418 Expert #59

There is another saying in the business we have...ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

You need to find yourself a good shop. Just because you had one bad experience, doesn't mean that everyone that works in a MC dealership is incompetent. Don't paint everybody with the same brush. I have two guys in my shop that are plenty capable of doing any job right.

Did you go back to the original and let them know they screwed up...??? If they are an good shop, they'll appriciated your insight. I can't help a customer if, I don't know there is anything wrong in the first place.

If you found varnish inside the carbs, you need to flush your fuel system and have the carbs dipped in a parts cleaner. If there is some varnish visible, it most likely will effect the carb passageways, like the idle speed circuit etc. The bike might run fine regardless, but then again it might not. That's the difference between doing the job, and doing the job right .

Though, I'm sure an expert like you already knew that. :rolleyes:

p.s. Oh, and thanks Doh-Boy. :D

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  16. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

I've never adjusted my float "bowel" height. I try to treat my bowels with care. We've got a saying at work. "Your anus is your friend." It's a long story but the message still rings true.

Glad it worked out for you ok. Now don't you feel smarter? Don't you feel more confident? Wait til you really muck something up. That smart/confident feeling with spiral right down the toilet.:D

17. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Hey Crusty- watch your cornhole there, bud! :D

(I love Office Space)

18. dave333

dave333 traveler

I'm gonna have to print this out and frame it. Who would believe it otherwise? Me, helpful AND constructive??? :rolleyes: