1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hotbodies bodywork installation review

Discussion in 'General' started by Smalls, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Smalls

Smalls 2012 Blue...

Hey guys.....I've got a short review of hotbodies bodywork that Brian Van (STG) and I put on my 09 ZX6 last week. I would like to say that I am in no way affilated with hotbodies, I'm just another racer giving my opinion. Let's start off with overall quality. I have to say that I'm kinda suprised, I have used hotbodies in the past and they had been a little lacking in the quality department(rigid,thin spots,easily cracks), however this new bodywork was a lot better than previous years I have used. The new bodywork definitely is thicker and has more flex then the old stuff. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. On to the mount up. We did not mock up the bodywork and line up the holes to test out the fit prior to drilling(just to see how close the guide holes would be). We started with the upper, we had to remove about a 1 inch square tab on the interior of the upper so it would fit flush with the frame. We drilled out the holes and the overall fit was pretty good(7 out of 10). Then came a big problem. The windscreen. The hotbodies windscreen that came with the kit is completely worthless. It was so off from being correct that NONE of the screw holes lined up. Luckily, it was the windcreen and not the bodywork, I had the stock screen and it lined up nicely. The lower was next, we set it up with (4)dzus fasteners even though there were previsions for (6). Once again fitment was good(7 out of 10). Lastly, we mounted the tail section, no different then the rest(7 out of 10). Based on what I have seen with the newer bodywork quality, customer service, and the fact that they pay contigency, I would purchase hotbodies again for my bike. I have dealt with better(sharkskinz) and worse(ebay specials) and I put the new hotbodies way closer to the high end then the low end.

Aaron

2. Rumple4Skin

Rumple4Skin Well-Known Member

Sucks about the screen but it sounds like everthing else was on par.
    Has it been painted yet...................pics?

3. Smalls

Smalls 2012 Blue...

Bodywork is at the painters now......I will post up the finished product when I get it back.....:up:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  4. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

We had a little issue with the supplied screen as we were installing the kit. Thankfully Aaron had brought the stock screen with him and it fit perfectly! This reminds me I need to send Roger a note on the screen.

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Brian,

Send Roger a Note on the Primer as well... My new 09 1000's are with the painter now and he is having some issues with the paint.. He is having to resand all and reprime all for the paint to stick... It is costing me more time and $$$... My windscreen fit spot on though and I was more than satisfied with the fitment....

6. Smalls

Smalls 2012 Blue...

Update

Update

I just got the bodywork back from my painter(Ice Nine Customs). It came out great, I'll post some pics up. I talked with Keith about quality and finish, and he said that for the money(500$ per set) and that this is race bodywork and not street bodywork, it is definitely worth the money.

Attached Files:

7. dusty20

dusty20 #97 North Central Ex.

Bike looks awesome Aaron!

8. Smalls

Smalls 2012 Blue...

Thanks Dustin.......:up:

9. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

the guy that painted Aarons said the same thing, that the primer sucked

10. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

looks good Aaron

11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I just installed a set on my 08 750 yesterday. The fit was awful, I had to use a dremmel to trim the upper and the lower around the radiator and the pre molded points for the bolts on the tail were way off. The quality was not awful but i would put it on par with the e-racings stuff i used on my 04 (It held up well as long you didn't crash). I got it all on there and took it for a test ride. Once i got back i was checking everything over and noticed the belly pan under the exhaust was really hot and soft like a marshmellow. There is plenty of clearance between the two and even around the section where the pipe comes out of the belly pan. I suppose i need some of that adhesive backed heat sheild............. Anybody know where to get that stuff?

12. Rumple4Skin

13. cpettit

14. cpettit

Couple quick pics of mine.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My overall opinion, it would be ok if it were 300$ body works but for the price i don't think it is very good. The contingency is the reason i went with this over the others and that does make up for it somewhat. Sorry bout the threadjack but i didn't feel the need to start another for the same topic. Carry on.

15. Rumple4Skin

They may or may not....................phone around locally.
    I got mine from OPP racing because they're local.

16. Rumple4Skin

I would use a rubber washer there or that may pop loose.

17. cpettit

Yeah, i have a few adjustments to make that was just the initial mock up.

18. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

Did your bodywork kits come with an undertail?? I have the superbike tail, but theres no undertail in the package.

19. Smalls

Smalls 2012 Blue...

You mean the draft shield????? yes, mine came with one.....

20. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

Thanks, Ill have to call Hotbodies on Monday.