1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hope this makes you feel good!

Discussion in 'General' started by guerrilla, Jul 20, 2003.

1. guerrilla

guerrilla Real King of the Jungle

Not Sure where it came from but #3 and #5 especially made me smile.

1) First Important Lesson - Cleaning Lady.

During my second month of college, our professor gave us a
    pop quiz. I was a conscientious student and had breezed through the questions, until I read the last one: "What is the first name of the woman who cleans the school?"

Surely this was some kind of joke. I had seen the cleaning woman several times. She was tall, dark-haired and in her 50s, but how
    would I know her name? I handed in my paper, leaving the last question blank. Just before class ended, one student asked if the last question would count toward our quiz grade. "Absolutely," said the professor. "In your careers, you will meet many people. All are significant. They deserve your attention and care, even if all you do is smile and say 'hello'.
    I've never forgotten that lesson. I also learned her name
    was Dorothy.

2) Second Important Lesson - Pickup in the Rain One night.

At 11.30 p.m., an older African American woman was standing
    on the side of an Alabama highway trying to endure a lashing rainstorm. Her car had broken down and she desperately needed a ride. Soaking wet, she decided to flag down the next car. A young white man stopped to help her, generally unheard of in those conflict-filled 1960s. The man took her to safety, helped her
    get assistance and put her into a taxicab. She seemed to be
    in a big hurry, but wrote down his address and thanked him.

Seven days went by and a knock came on the man's door. To
    his surprise, a giant console color TV was delivered to his home. A special note was attached. It read: "Thank you so much for assisting me on the highway the other night. The rain drenched not only my clothes, but also my spirits. Then you came along. Because of you, I was able to make it to my dying husband's bedside just before he passed away. God bless you for helping me and unselfishly serving others."
    Sincerely, Mrs. Nat King Cole.

3) Third Important Lesson - Always remember those who serve.

In the days when an ice cream sundae cost much less, a 10-year-old boy entered a hotel coffee shop and sat at a table. A waitress
    put a glass of water in front of him. "How much is an ice cream sundae?" he asked. "Fifty cents," replied the waitress.
    The little boy pulled his hand out of his pocket and studied the coins in it. "Well how much is a plain dish of ice cream?" he
    inquired.
    By now more people were waiting for a table and the waitress was growing impatient. "Thirty-five cents," she brusquely replied. The little boy again counted his coins. "I'll have the plain ice cream," he said. The waitress brought the ice cream, put the bill on the table and walked away. The boy finished the ice cream, paid the cashier and left.
    When the waitress came back, she began to cry as she wiped
    down the table. There, placed neatly beside the empty dish, were two nickels and five pennies. You see, he couldn't have the sundae, because he had to have enough left to leave her a tip.

4) Fourth Important Lesson. - The obstacle in Our Path.

In ancient times, a King had a boulder placed on a roadway. Then he hid himself and watched to see if anyone would remove the huge rock. Some of the king's wealthiest merchants and courtiers came by and simply walked around it. Many loudly blamed the King for not
    keeping the roads clear, but none did anything about getting the stone out of the way. Then a peasant came along carrying a load of vegetables. Upon approaching the boulder, the peasant laid down his burden and tried to move the stone to the side of the road. After much pushing and straining, he finally succeeded. After the peasant picked up his load of vegetables, he noticed a purse lying in the road where the Boulder had been. The purse contained many gold
    coins and a note from the King indicating that the gold was for
    the person who removed the boulder from the roadway. The peasant learned what many of us never understand!

Every obstacle presents an "opportunity to improve our condition."

5) Fifth Important Lesson - Giving When it Counts.

Many years ago, when I worked as a volunteer at a hospital,
    I got to know a little girl named Liz who was suffering from a rare and serious disease. Her only chance of recovery appeared to be a blood transfusion from her 5-year old brother, who had miraculously survived the same disease and had developed the antibodies needed to combat the illness. The doctor explained the situation to her little brother, and asked the little boy if he would be willing to give his blood to his sister. I saw him hesitate for only a moment before taking a deep breath and saying, "Yes I'll do it if it will save her." As the transfusion progressed, he lay in bed next to his sister and smiled, as we all did, seeing the color returning to
    her cheek.
    Then his face grew pale and his smile faded. He looked up at the doctor and asked with a trembling voice, "Will I start to die right
    away". Being young the little boy had misunderstood the doctor; he thought he was going to have to give his sister all of his blood in order to save her.

Share this with a friend and re-read this and see if it touches your HEART the same way it did the first time you read it!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2003
  2. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

Hope this makes you feel good

It did. Thanks.

3. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

Cute stories, but they're most likely all urban legends.

The one about Nat King Cole's widow most certainly is. (Nat King Cole died in California. Mrs. Cole has been interviewed about this story and states that none of it is true.)

4. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

My best friends in high school cuz' knew the peasant that got the gold coins. He just push the rock and then was like ...WTF? He looked around and saw nobody so he just got his things and then went to Vegas. Lost most it on the crap tables but leaving he tried a slot machine and got back some of the money.

Good stories, true or false, who cares..they make you feel all warm and fuzzy. You do good deeds for the karma sultra thing. :D

David

5. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

'

thanks for the buzzkill..... :D

6. guerrilla

No joke, I was trying to get a beautiful sabbath started off on a warm and fuzzy kick and 230's gotta go all cynical on us. :rolleyes:

Anyway you ain't human if the one about the little boy and his sister don't choke ya up a little.

How bout we tell some true stories to show that good deeds or bad deeds don't go unnoticed. The rule is they have to have happened to YOU. No My friends, buddy's brother heard stuff!

Since 230 has got me all in a bad mood now I will start it off with a story of bad karma.

One morning I was running super late to work. It wasn't the first time so I needed to bust off a good excuse. I called my boss and told him I was going to be late because my wife called and said her battery was dead. So I had to go back home and jump her. So I roll in late and the day is awful. I couldn't wait to get outta there. As I am rolling out the door my cell phone rings...CallerID: my wife...As soon as I saw the number a wave of regret ran over me because I knew EXACTLY why she was calling. Yep, she needed me to drive to her work and give her a jump cause her battery was dead.

Like I said good or bad deeds do not go unnoticed. Someone put us back on a warm and fuzzy note please!

7. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

That's a pretty good deal, getting to jump the wife twice in one day and at her work to boot!

:D

David

8. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Double jump...

ROTFLMAO! :D

9. guerrilla

You know I hate the stupid acronym game. ROTFL grates at me everytime I read it. But I gotta drop one here.

ROTFLMAO

:D

10. Boots

Boots Well-Known Member

I've pulled over for a hitch hicker and let him run his ass off to get to the car and then pull off :D

Does that count? :p

11. guerrilla

Well that depends, As a result did something good or bad happen to you?

12. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

I once gave a hitch-hiker a ride from Benson NC to PA. I was going to Syracuse and could have taken him farther, but he didn't have any money and every time I pulled over for gas, I felt too guilty buying food/drinks w/out getting him some too. After about 7 hours, I finally got sick of buying for 2 and told him I was going a different route, to get him out of the truck. 2 miles after I dropped him off, I got a speeding ticket! How's that for Karma?!?!
    Maybe I should have given him all of my cash and dropped him of at his front door?

(No longer picks up hitch-hikers, but might consider Duck-Racer's idea in the future....)

13. Boots

Boots Well-Known Member

I forgot that part, not long after that I had a alternator go bad on one of my vehicals. So I guess you could say it evened out :moon:

14. Sean Jordan

Well, while I'm being a cynical buzzkill, you should know that the Sabbath is actually Saturday. (God created the Heavens and the Earth in six days and rested on the 7th...the 7th day is Saturday. In fact, over 100 languages have "sabbath" as their root for the word Saturday.) We worship and rest on Sundays due to some secular concerns throughout history, and some parts of the New Testament encourage Sunday for worship. But Saturday is still the Sabbath.

15. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

well, one night at about 3-4 am i was driving home during a very bad snowstorm. as i drove along the highway i seen a guy hitchhiking. seeing how it was me and a buddie, i though i would be nice so i pulled over. the guy was hammered, even fell down the side of the highway coming to the car. so he got in and was very happy and also soaking wet and cold. he didn't live near me but i went 1hr out of my way to drive him home. he gave me 20.00 for it, and was very happy to have made it. made me feel good. it was near x-mas so that was his gift.

16. I liked the one about the boy and the ice cream the best.

One time at a truck stop, there was a very very poor and scruffy looking couple with a baby. Their beat up old car wouldn't start, and they were looking for help. I think they needed money to "get to a service station".

I know plenty about cars, so I took a look. Oddly enough, the problem was simple. The wire had "fallen" off the starter solenoid. I put it back, and the car started right up.

Sometimes, even when you help, you aren't doing any good. I think they needed money more than they needed my help!

17. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Nobody likes a know-it-all, Sean. Except YamahaRick. We like him! :D

18. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

Here's one for ya: Call it Karma or Gods work...whatever you believe. I had a disturbing phone call this morning about my Dad's health. I can't leave town yet so I thought I would take my mind off of things by spending some fun time with Emma. I was too distracted to go to church to worship. I just wanted to play with my kid. We get in the car to go to our favorite playground and it started to pour down RAIN! Hmmm...should have gone to church. So I asked God to forgive me for not putting him first and I have felt Peace since I prayed.

Alright someone hijack this thread before it goes to the religion section.:D

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Cool stories all. :up:

Being the cold unfeeling person I am I find a lot of person joy in helping people who obviously need it. I keep my feelings about doing these things to myself. Why? I like the image around certain people of being aloof and cold. My buddy God and I know what we did. Yeap, WE. :)

When I keel over and I'm standing up for judgment, I can wink at my big buddy God and go about my floating around on a cloud and playing my harp (hooked up to a distortion peddle of course).

20. Sean Jordan

But I wanna be like YamahaRick! Can't I be YamahaSean? :D

Here's something that happened to one of my good friends...

A few years ago, a friend of mine left a worship group for young adults, and began driving home. She had been getting a bad feeling for most of the evening, and decided to go home. Not, this friend is notorious for having a poor sense of direction, and managed to get horribly turned around and completely lost. Driving around one of the industrial/commercial parks that pepper the area around Dulles airport, a person suddenly ran out of a wooded area and in front of her car. Bringing the car to a screaching halt, a terrified, panic-stricken woman begged for my friend to let her into the car. My friend gives this woman a ride home. It turns out that the woman was offered a ride home by a friend-of-a-friend from a bar or something, but the guy had taken her into the middle of nowhere and had started to get overly physical, and wouldn't lay off. She managed to break away and started running, where she happened across my friend, the only car in site. (This was in the late evening.) An incredible stroke of luck for the young lady? Who knows....but my friend has not complained about her bad sense of direction since that night.