1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda guys I need some help

Discussion in 'Tech' started by fzgixxerman, Aug 23, 2009.

1. fzgixxerman

fzgixxerman AKA Mark Byrd

I have a 08 cbr 1000 I'm setting it up for a fast street/trackday bike I ride in the front half of the advance classes. New to honda, I ride a 07 gsxr 1000. But I have penske ak20 front 1.10 springs/ 21mm bike sag and 35mm with me on board 185lb without gear. Rear Ohlin ttx shock and the spring120k/mm work out to be 585lb. 15mm bike sag and 27mm with me on the bike. Bike seem to be a little stiff in the rear to me. Rear linkage is stock. Hoping some of you honda guys and gave me a little help. Is my setup okay or do I need to change somethings. The honda is a lot difference to me. I have alot of track time with the gsxr's and I'm just hoping some of you honda guys can get me closer to right before I go to the track. Thanks ahead of time guys.

2. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

Wish I could remember the name of the racer at the track today. He was on an 08 that was pretty stock and turned a minute flat in Novice. He seemed pretty knowledgeable about the bike. A 1.1kg front spring seems a little stiff for 185 lb. racer. You are faster on your FZ1 than half of the racer's in Novice. .... Time to race!

3. fzgixxerman

Thanks Charlie, The honda has more weight on the front I think going by the sag numember the front will be okay but I'm looking for help so hope someone can.

4. livharder

livharder Well-Known Member

i'm as fast or faster on my stock 08 cbr than all my previous modified racebikes. it's an unbeleivably good trackbike. 190 pounds.

5. fzgixxerman

Awesome!!!!!

6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

You say it feels stiff in the back - is this when you sit on it and bounce, get on the gas, or go over bumps?

Your sag numbers look good on both ends so don't change the preload adjusters.

If it feels stiff when you go over bumps (ie is a very bumpy ride), and especially if you notice it hopping the rear end under hard braking, you can try slowing down your rear rebound a little bit (clicker on the bottom of the shock, turn clockwise looking UP - the right side of the clicker should go away from you). Go 5 clicks at a time (total adjustment range is something like 50 clicks).

If it feels stiff like you can't really get the rear to move much when bouncing on the seat, you can try speeding up the compression (clicker on top of the shock, turn counter-clockwise). Go 2 clicks at a time (total range is something like 20 or 30).

Before you change anything, try this: (bike on rear stand, no front stand) Lock your arms and put one hand over the other on the rear of your seat, and then put your shoulders straight over your hands (should look like you're about to do CPR). Quickly drive your full weight down onto the seat and then release, and pay close attention to what the rear end does. It should bounce back equally as fast as it was pushed down, and it should take about half to three-quarters of a second for each part of the stroke (down, then up). If it bounces up much more quickly than you were able to push it down, the rebound is too fast and needs to be slowed down (clockwise on the bottom clicker like I described above). If it bounces up slowly compared to how it went down, the rebound is too slow and needs to be sped up (counter-clockwise on the bottom clicker).

The local suspension guys at your track will be able to explain these tests and adjustments much better in person than I am able to on the intarwebs - go ask, and then listen :)

7. fzgixxerman

The check you are talking about pushing down on the bike is when I think it stiff. When I'm ride it, it feels unstable in the back but have not put it in to the track test just trying to get a close setup. Oh I have a Ohlin ttx shock and ak20 up front . The ttx on the cbr 1000 feel difference than any other bike. My gsxr 1000 traxxion susp setup with them was very close to perfect. Just hoping to be closer before track time....

8. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Well, do keep in mind that the rear spring should feel pretty stiff (especially if you're not used to the pushing method that I mentioned) - it has to support 500 to 600lb, so it's not something you can squish on easily.

If you have not already had a suspension tuner set the knobs on your bike, a good point to start for the compression damping is halfway between the extremes. Turn the clicker all the way clockwise (gently, do not force it once it stops) and then count how many clicks it takes to get all the way counter-clockwise. Cut that number in half and go back in that many clicks.

If you have already had a suspension tuner go over the bike, don't change anything until you get to the track.

9. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I'm not smart but I thought that you couldn't do the push down the seat and see how it feels with a TTX. Correct me if I'm wrong. I thought for some reason it didn't work like that.

10. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be a valid test - what it looks for is to make sure the compression and rebound settings are balanced, ie the bike doesn't rebound any slower or faster than it compresses.

11. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

^^ they recommend not to do it that way and that it must be tuned by feel etc... but from what i've heard, you can still tune with the push method for low speed circuits and rebound, but high-speed must be tuned via riding.

12. old and busted

old and busted Well-Known Member

There is no high speed adjusters on a TTX for the 08 CBR1000RR.

13. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Weird about the no high-speed adjusters.

Either way GoFast, you are correct, high speed always has to be tuned by riding, regardless of bike. There's no way you can push hard enough on a shock to open its high-speed circuit, that requires a ledge in the pavement at speed.

14. fzgixxerman

Going to the mountains soon to ride. I will know more then. Track after that.

15. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

Did you make it back alive.?...... 3 days later.

16. fzgixxerman

Sorry, still planning a trip when the weather is better. Have a problem this the front forks, going back to traxxion to see what up. To must play, front to back. Bushing worn out????? or something. 1100 miles on the bike????? I don't think so.

17. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

check torque on top triple steering head nut

18. fzgixxerman

Yes I was thinking the same thing but turn out to be in the lower fork legs. Don't not notice it until AK20 install something just not right but I know it will turn out in the end.

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

You mean quick enough...

20. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Both hard and quick. Dick ;)