1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Security Systems

Discussion in 'General' started by JeffroJ, Apr 29, 2015.

1. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

What's everyone's opinions on the newest home security products?

Self monitoring vs monitoring service?

House 3 doors down was broken into a couple months ago, and then the neighbors across the street yesterday afternoon, even with their male boxer free in the house. He was unharmed, I guess they met him with some treats or he ran and hid. Luckily I chose yesterday to leave my boxer outside all day, weather was perfect, so maybe he prevented them from hitting our house. I'm sure he was barking his head off!

From the last few threads on the subject, Simplisafe was the most liked, is this still true? The only issue I have with their system is that there are no cameras. The wife wants 24/7 monitoring service, which Simplisafe is great, but I want live streaming to check in on the pets and pics of who I'm going to hunt down :rock:, in which the self monitoring systems seem better. Am I better off with Simplisafe and a separate camera system like Foscam?

Lowe's Iris has it all, but very bad reviews, anybody have first hand experience with it?

Scout has great reviews, but their camera is still under development, maybe worth getting and then adding the camera when/if it comes out.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've got Simplisafe and have Foscam cameras that aren't connected to it but I can access remotely, they also take and store pics and can be set to upload to an offsite server if you like.

So far I really like our setup but I do need to get a better outdoor camera for our setup and mount the one I have in a better spot but I kind of expected that going in to it all.

3. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

You're in Atlanta I would think Comcast Xfinity would be a good choice because you could bundle. They'll usually throw in a $200 Visa Gift card with it too. For the money you get back that seems like the right choice. Makes your system free or close to free.

4. JeffroJ

Mongo, does the foscam live streaming work good? Any issues checking in and watching on a smart phone?

I hate Comcast with a passion.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Once I got my end of things figured out it works great :D

I check in via the iphone all the time. I even use the iPad or a web browser to watch for the pizza guy to come up the drive...

6. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I second Simplisafe. Super easy set up and you can install it yourself so you get what you want.

7. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

the blink system that's about to come out looked pretty good to me.

8. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I've been looking into this lately.

Most systems have either a local microsd card or charge you a monthly fee to save to the cloud. If they see the camera and steal it too, you're fucked.

What options load the video to either a PC inside or the internet without a service fee? I'm looking to record someone's face if they enter my garage. Also would like to be able to look in live to double check that the door is closed

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

Simplisafe here also

10. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

11. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Definitely monitored.

We use Premiere Security, they do everything from simple monitoring to installing complex systems with remote access and such. http://www.atlantasecuritymonitoring.com/

Prices are right, too.

12. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Holy moly, I just started my [re]search on this again this week!

Costco had one of those IP camera's on sale so I ordered one just to give it a look....It was kinda cool w/ higher tech features than I expected.

Check out this link> http://www.costco.com/Samsung-SmartCam-HD-1080p-Wi-Fi-IP-Monitoring-Camera.product.100155236.html
    The one feature I thought was cool as heck with this one was the ability to pick up to 3 different triggering motion detection areas. For an ex....if you had one in your living room which has say a window and front door, you could box out the top half of the front door and window separately as triggering points, thus avoiding a cat or dog from setting it off...

I also looked into Netgears IP version (Arlo) which is....crazy I know but damn the convenience!....completely wireless (=battery operated A123's). They claim it lasts for 3-4 months with minimal viewing/recording daily (4min/day)..no audio triggering or ability to use as two way intercom as the Samsung above.

All in all, anyone using AND happy with their IP security cameras?

13. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

I would think two separate systems would be better for redundancy. In the event one is malfunctioning, the other should still work. If they are both on the same system, if it goes down you have nothing.

FWIW, we have Simplisafe. The only issue we have had so far is we have very poor cell reception in the house, so sometimes it can't connect.

14. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Just started using LiveWatch and really like them. Won't go into too many details but it can do everything, you set it up, you own the equipment making the monthly fees less, and it's uber easy.

I am far from techy and had no problems. I did not do cameras yet, because I want to add a stand alone system for those anyways. I did the basic system setup, and they helped me with only getting what I needed. Plus you can add stuff yourself, like window/door monitors, glass break sensors, etc.

I am very happy and like that I do everything from my phone or the home base. The big thing is the Smash and Grab protection, make sure they all have that if you start looking. That way even if its broke/unplugged and smashed, it still send the alert to the fire/police.

15. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Any one know if some of these systems will work wired? I have an ADT system, but I own the equipment, not ADT, so no need for new equipment. System is on a land line. I just want to stop paying $40/month, when I could be paying $15.

Any insight?

16. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

If no contract google some local Security providers. I think ADT is like the most expensive monitoring out there. About any local company can do that system via wired connection for much less.

17. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I just started service with FrontPoint. Really pleased so far.

18. JeffroJ

Thanks everyone, ended up ordering a refurbished system from Simplisafe, the $15 a month plan works for me. Don't really see the need to pay more for text messages when there's no camera, if someone breaks in I'm going to get notified anyway.

19. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

20. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

So what does that site do? Monitor a system that you have built?