1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

home internet providers

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I'm buying a new home, I can have att(but not uverse yet) or charter. Have charter now and only complaint is the speed varies a lot. Don't always get the good stuff. I'm mainly looking for att opinion, of course everything online says it sucks.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Verizon Fios.

3. bus

bus Monkey with a football

Personally, I would steer clear of AT&T.

4. MadManx

MadManx Retired for 2013-2014

Agreed. Execpt the billing can be a bitch. Nice thing is that you don't have to use their router. Mine plugs directly into my Firewall.

5. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

Can't go wront with Comcast.. i have had comcast for 3 years now and i would never use anything else

6. Saltman

Saltman Curves Are Sexy

Charter sucks

7. Gorecki

Gorecki verwirrt und orientierung

Well if your options are limited to ATT or Charter, you're probably better with the ATT. But if Verizon or Comcast are available, it's better to look into those.

A trick to choosing is in a situation where all things are equal, and there isn't *problems* with the provider, choose the one who is least used. These lines are shared up to the CO and in turn fighting each other for bandwidth. Example, I've used Comcast for a long time, an upper tier bandwidth. Verizon came through and laid cable for FiOS offering their services. Well most of the people around me switched to FiOS and out of nowhere with no change on my end, my average available bandwidth tripled! ;)

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

Comcast is very restrictive and expensive from what I've read. cablevision is good (but I think they work only for us Northerners), and Fios is good too from what I hear too

9. bus

bus Monkey with a football

That scenario only applies to cable infrastructures, not DSL, FiOS, etc.

10. I've never heard of Verizon Fios. What's it like? Is it copper cable or fiber optic or wireless service?

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

fiber to the home.

12. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I just had it installed today. It's fiber optic. I had a wireless router intalled but it's close enough to my main computer that I have a cable connected there. The wireless is for my laptop in the other room.
    There is also a Comcast wireless network in the house. I was using it for backup because my Verizon DSL would disconnect below 25 degrees due to the crappy copper wiring on my street.
    We got a letter from Comcast that claimed we were illegally downloading a torrent of Dinner for Shmucks through the account. We were told legal action would follow if this didn't stop. Living next to the high school, we assumed that the punks next door were leeching off us, so the account got a password installed.
    Today the installer told me that my neighbor came up to him and tried to get my password from him! :tut:

13. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Fios is possibly the best internet, and tv provider. I had both a few yrs ago. Had Charter, and now have att uverse, att, being the better of the 2. Att, also has different packages for internet, we have the 12mg one, which works o.k...but not nearly as fast as fios was.

14. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Had Charter at work and now we have ATT. There is no comparsion ATT all the way. I would'nt take the time to shit on Charter.

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

ATT Uverse, satellite and dial-up are my options. Given that, Uverse has been GREAT for both TV and Internet for the past six months or so.

16. Josh Whitehead

Josh Whitehead Crash Test Dummy

Uverse hands down. I've had their service for about 6 months now and couldn't be happier. Download speeds are stupid fast.