1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holy S@#t the field is stacked @ the 2021 Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jan 30, 2021.

1. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

But its just fancy club racing. So you don't do any of that :(

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

But that's what professionals do. And didn't the rider list get posted 3 weeks before the event? And Oscar took my place 5 years ago and Tony has been at D for what 8 years? Come on now
    Crafar is still trying to learn this craft and go watch his video explaining MotoGP tires because it was a confusing mumbling mess even for a tire guy. Is he better yes, does he need to improve yes.

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Alright Robert even though your a left coaster (not that being one is wrong) and not a Daytona guy can you explain from your podcast background how fucking easy it would be to do what I suggested?

4. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

We didnt even know if there was going to be tv coverage for this until what, a week before the race? He did fine, you can always turn the volume down if you want.

MotoGP I think it has that option, have you ever tried? Its not good.

5. stangmx13

Oh it wouldn't be easy. Everyone is busy during a race weekend. Tracking down all those people, convincing them to chat, and taking clear & concise notes is a lot of work. Even the tire brand and name pronunciation might be hard to come by, at least if you need first hand knowledge. What you described may be days of work. If everyone is only available Thurs evening after setup and before dinner, one person isn't going to get to talk to everyone. Then you fit in a few more people the same time Fri. And thats all the prep time you get.

There are many reasons why GP/WSBK make it look so easy. They have teams of people doing it. A lot of that work is accomplished in the pre-season and then updated throughout the year. For example, the rider "spec sheet" you get from the WSBK media room is an amazing breakdown of so much rider info. And on top of it, all that chat time is expected by everyone because WSBK has a show to put on. So people make themselves available if you ask. MA has slowly built up all this infrastructure over the years and even they probably aren't doing everything they want to be doing. We shouldn't expect a Club and a one-off announcer to be able to accomplish all the same stuff for an exhibition race.

That being said, it's hard to argue that the announcer even tried. He didn't even check off the "easy" boxes like pronunciation of the front runners. All the above stuff would be fun for anyone moto-obsessed and is part of the job. But it didn't seem to happen. I repeat - :(

turbulence and rice r0cket like this.
  6. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I don't disagree. That sounds like the direction that should be coming from the person putting on the show that hires the announcers. It's up to them to make sure the person they're hiring to do the job is capable of doing the job and for them to set the expectations going into it.

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Thanks for the input, and you have some valid points but I think it could be done. And fyi he's not a one off announcer he's been doing Daytona March and Fall races for 30 years.

8. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

yeah,as a color commentator for Pat Gonzales who does the actual calling of the races but stuck here do to covid

9. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I was more bothered by their lack of ability to follow the race.

I can't remember how many times they announced position changes, when in fact absolutely nothing happened and they were passing a backmarker. Learn to identify colors when the camera switches? I don't know. It was certainly better on mute.

badmoon692008 and Chino52405 like this.
  10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

.. and here you are.. still commenting on my comments about an announcer...

sanee likes this.
  11. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Serious question... we have a few guys in the community that do podcasts and the like, have experience talking into a mic, etc. that follow this shit religiously. What would the problem be in bringing someone like that onboard? It eliminates a lot of the need for prior research. Hell I could have told you the names and numbers off the top of my head for the top 15 or so guys and with correct pronunciation and knew who was in each position on screen the entire races without having to see numbers or the ticker because I knew the color scheme of each bike. And I'm sure there are plenty of guys like I mentioned previously with backgrounds in this sort of thing that could do the same and better. They probably know half the grid personally. So why not have them call the race? Feeling like I know more about the riders and what's going on in the race than the guy making the call is a bit of a disappointment.

badmoon692008, turbulence and ducnut like this.
  12. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

All I know is that dude was on his mic riding around on his scooter, I had to snatch my son out of his way before he got run over.

13. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

I prefer the onboard views and engine noise over the traditional camera to camera with commentators. I do like the pre and post race interviews but would rather hear the bikes during the race and having a live timing screen.

14. stangmx13

why would anyone risk commentating the D200 after reading this thread :p:crackup:

15. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Like it matters :)

I had my own commentary goin' on.
    Beer, cigs and whooping to myself....with a few comments posted here in between.
    T'was more fun for me following the thread while watching the race.

Congrats to all who are able to participate and next 200 is gonna be a blast.

Guaranteed...Dunlop's back for the next one and bring along more iom guys.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

[​IMG]

05Yamabomber and stangmx13 like this.
  17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

18. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

This was my issue. He was calling action that wasn't even happening with passion.

Maybe he thought it was a radio gig?

badmoon692008 and turbulence like this.
  19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Greg White would be about a 1 million % improvement!!!!

turbulence likes this.
  20. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I think the reason any debate gets carried on maybe longer than it should is because there’s a couple guys that want to argue the Very unpopular stance and the correct majority wants to get through to these passive aggressive dudes that act surprised this is still a thing. Mean while these same Nancy’s will bitch about the lappers and act shocked that there’s other things that bugged people enough to post about it.