1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holy crap LSU is bringing it.

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

"You" do have a QB, I'll give you that. He's also a 5th year senior and headed to the NFL come spring. Who's on the bench? Who's in the pipeline? The thing that makes Bama and Clemson so special, is they reload and are right back in the mix next year. The only reason LSU is good this year is Burrows. They have a defense that would make Big12 teams blush.

I hate to burst your bubble, but as Bama found out last year, defense wins championships and LSU's is soft as baby shit. So is Bama's for the last two years and that is what they hung their hat on for a decade. That and a solid running game that also vanished into thin air.
    You better hope Bama gets back in or LSU is losing in the first round. They want no part of a Brent Venables defense and likely none of what OSU os dishing out. Auburn held your boys to 23 points in your house with the 28th ranked defense. How do you think they'll fare against the 1st (OSU) and 4th (Clemson)? Both teams have shut down corners, a nasty pass rush and are holding opponents to under 100 yards rushing.

All I can say is good luck. I love Coach O and want to see him do well, but he's outclassed come post season. Bama wasn't nearly the team you thought they were.

2. Spang308

image000000_55.jpg
    I'm sorry, can you please circle these 5 top teams you're referring too?
    Maybe New Mexico State, Western Carolina and South Mississippi are more respected than I remember!
    :crackup:

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

College football threads. Figure skating with helmets. :crackup:

BSA43, gixxernaut and NemesisR6 like this.
  4. rwdfun

rwdfun

But did they really? I'll give you @Alabama seems like a solid win until you realize that Alabama's apparent best win is over 6-3 A&M who doesn't have a win against anyone above .500. I guess their 2nd best win at home against Southern Miss of the power house C-USA is good enough for the #5 ranking. #11 Florida is their next highest rated win and their wins are only slightly better than Alabama's. On down the line it's the same story.

That is why NCAA just needs to open it to 8 teams and only the conference champs get in or independents ranked inside the top 8. Then it won't matter if B1G/P12/B12 teams want to play each other before conference games and the SEC sticks to Louisiana Tech school for nuns. You can have the ugliest loss out of conference and still be able to have a chance to run the table and show what you are made of. It might actually open people up to playing better early games. Win/win for fans. We get to see good games early, conference games middle and good bowl/CFP games late. Nah the SEC would still only schedule cupcakes

5. rwdfun

rwdfun

He's talking about LSU but still. The ranked teams he is talking about are not as good as they were ranked and they all have very weak schedules

6. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

The 5th comes at SEC championship game, which is the path LSU has to take to make it. It's pretty normal for teams to not be ranked the same after you play them......

It's a stupid argument. Nobody has the quality of wins LSU has. Nobody. Save me the cupcake bullshit.

Let the playoffs happen and enjoy the games.

cajun636 likes this.
  7. Spang308

To a few of us, it's more entertaining than "an old guy stole my fat ass girlfriend" threads. :D

ClemsonsR6 and Dragginass like this.
  8. Dragginass

That sounds like a certain SEC school that has opened up their seasons with the likes of Oregon, Wisconsin, Texas, Miami the last few years.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Nothing beats watching guys voluntarily destroy their lives on the Internet. The views/posts count don't lie.

Spang308 likes this.
  10. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

C'mon, nothing is more fun than "my daddy can beat up your daddy" arguments.

11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

If that's the case, my dad was a Marine Corps DI in the 'nam era. I'd pit him against anyone. Well, him 50 years ago. Right now, even Clemson's waterboy could kick his ass. :D

Spang308 likes this.
  12. Dragginass

I think the college football version is "I've been drunker in more stadiums than you have" :D

Spang308 likes this.
  13. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Done.

14. rwdfun

rwdfun

I didn't find an Oregon on LSU's recent schedules but I did find a 4-9 BYU in 2017. They did actually travel in 2016 but while being ranked #5 lost to an unranked Wisconsin team. In 2018 they did beat a 7-6 Miami team at Jerry's world. While winning @ Texas this year, Texas is headed for 4-5 losses.

Having said all this, I will say their schedule is light years ahead of the all mighty Alabama

edit Actually looking far enough back Alabama does play some big name teams but always on a "neutral" site in the far south. It's either great foresight or luck but when they play a big name school it's usually on a down year for that program. Uncanny

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  15. Spang308

Does Duke on a neutral sight or a three legged dog FSU program count? That's the last two years. Bama's schedule is a straight fraud.
    People want to dog Clemson on their schedule, and I'll be the first to admit the ACC is down right now, but they at least play two SEC teams every year in a home and home setting as out of division opponents. Not Pac12. Not Big12. The big bad SEC.
    Their record you ask? Well 9-1 since 2016.

https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Article/Clemson-football-tigers--135349348/

16. Spang308

Oh, one other thing. The Gamecocks beat GA!!! :crackup:

They're not even going to a bowl game this year!

17. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

Be warned. If that happens I'm staying with you...
    I'll bring a pfd.

18. rwdfun

rwdfun

No arguments about Alabama from me. I was saying you have to go back a few years but they do play bigger named schools. It's just uncanny that they get them when they are on down years

Clemson sorta falls in that category too though. I'll give them credit for playing a home and home with Texas A&M but this year A&M is not good. Last year A&Ms finishing record was better but other than the end of year 7OT win (ironically) against LSU A&M didn't have any quality wins. Last year for all of Clemson's glory in annihilating Bama, their 2 best regular season wins were by a combined 6 points @A&M and home Syracuse. So it's not like they were running up the score on everyone. All I'm saying is put Clemson, LSU or Bama in the B1G east and they aren't consistently running up scores and have a pretty good chance of losing at least 1 conference game. Put any of the top team from the P12, B12 or B1G in the ACC this year and they are also likely to go undefeated. I mean would Oregon or PSU have looked as shaky against NC?

Oh I forgot to mention the B1G doesn't do a rotating schedule for cross division match ups. They make the better teams play each other too. That's why Michigan always has Iowa and Wisconsin on their schedules and seems to never play Purdue

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  19. Spang308

C'mon dude...really? Who in the Big10 east other than OSU is any good? PSU is weak sauce and Michigan straight up sucks. The last time Clemson played a Big10 east team, they annihilated Ohio State 31-0.
    You're arguments don't hold water. The ACC is having a down season, but don't act like the Big10 is tough. They get hammered when they stray out of conference. Baker Mayfield spiking that flag into the Buckeyes field jog any memories? Michigan didn't represent very well against a mediocre Florida team in their bowl game either.
    That said, I think OSU is legit this year. I'd bet they walk into the playoffs undefeated relatively unchallenged by anyone in the Big10. They'll beat PSU at home and go on the road and humiliate Michigan. The Minnesota story is nice and all, but they'll get pounded by OSU should they make it to Indy.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Dragginass likes this.
  20. Spang308

Some interesting games this weekend. If Choklahoma beats Baylor, the Big12 playoff hopes basically die. Baylor to this point has gotten little respect, but if they were to win out and be undefeated Big12 champs, they'd be in. OK's bad loss to Kansas State and recent defensive struggles likely excludes them even as 1 loss Big12 champs.
    GA vs. Auburn is interesting as well. A GA win further solidifies their case to be in the top 4 and gives Auburn it's 3rd loss which hurts Bama's case of calling it a high quality win in the Iron Bowl. If GA wins out AND wins a close game in the SEC title game over an undefeated LSU, they both likely make it alongside Clemson and Ohio State and the Pac12 get screwed.
    Speaking of Pac12, they likely screw themselves as usual. If UCLA beats Utah, they have a shot at winning the Pac12 south and murdering Oregons chances of a signature win in the champ game to vault them into the playoffs. If Utah and Oregon do win out and meet in the Pac12 championship as 1 loss top 10 teams, AND Oregon wins, they have a strong case for the playoffs.
    Other than pure chaos, I see very little shot of Alabama getting in. It would likely take LSU losing twice, Clemson losing and Baylor losing, or the Pac12 implosion. Any Big10 scenario likely gets in, i.e. PSU wins out, Ohio State dropping a game to Michigan, but winning the Big10 or Minnesota winning out. All those get in.
    GA losing another game seems to be their best hope.
    All of this is why the playoffs need to stay at 4 teams. The playoffs essentially start in August.
    Go Tigers!