1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hob Knob Brew Review

Discussion in 'General' started by SloMo510, Jan 28, 2013.

1. SloMo510

SloMo510 Still Slow

Product : Whiskey Barrel Aged Brown

Preface: I drink beer. lots of beer. good beer, "bad" beer and everything in between. beer is personal in that everyone likes different things, but some beer is better than others. "bad" beer is the stuff i get at the gas station, all the "light" beer made in mass quantity. it has its time and place but i dont drink it with a steak, is save good beer for that. Good beer is a brown ale, abita 25th anniversy, abita amber, etc. Right now I'm in a dark phase, stouts and porters, the darker the better... if i can shine my cell phone light through it, its not dark enough, if a spoon doesn't stand up in the head, its not good enough. i'm also on the cask ale "fad" I really enjoy the aroma and flavor that comes with those kind of beers. Innus & Gunn was my first, and still my favorite in that category, their rum cask ale is nothing short of amazing.

Jeff's Product: pretty damned awesome. great flavor, very good aroma. definitely brown, maybe a shade darker than say a newcastle or yuengling. slight whiskey aftertaste that really delivers. i know most brown ales dont have much carbonation and his doesnt either... not flat by any stretch of the imagination, but i've gotten more head from pouring tea, haha.

only downside was I had to wait a while for it, but it was damn sure worth the wait.

2 glasses up for Jeff and his beer:beer:
    :up::up:

2. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

2 out of 5? Or two out of two? Sounds like a good first try tho.

3. SloMo510

SloMo510 Still Slow

I can only hold 2 full glasses at a time, so 2 out of 2, or if your talented 4 out of 4! if we were on 5, i'd say 4.5 out of 5, with lack of carbonation the missing .5

excellent stuff

4. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

if your using newcastle and yuengling for an analogy of dark beer I gotta question your authority on the beer topic .... :p

5. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

6. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Thank you good sir for the great reviews! That makes it all worth it! Glad you enjoyed the samples! :)

7. SloMo510

SloMo510 Still Slow

No no no. That's a color analogy of levers product for comparison only

8. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Transferring from a keg to bottle is tough. If you bottle condition its a helluva lot easier (you just cap and go). Did any of the bottles leak? Was there no *pssst* when you popped the top? Could be I have an issue with my capper which could be solved by going to slip tops as opposed to the regular bottle caps.

PS...browns are supposed to be low carb (probably just not as low as what you got...so sorry about that)

PSS...if you haven't drunk them all already...save one and age it for a good 2-3 months hidden in the back of your refrigerator. The whisky brown only get's better as you age it :up:

9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

10. SloMo510

SloMo510 Still Slow

Well I opened another one for my after lunch dessert and this one had more carbonation, and was still delicious... Hmmm I don't know if I can hide these jewels from myself for 2-3 months but I suppose I can try.... Ill stash 2 in the back and forget about them for a bit

11. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

The wife popped open a pale ale tonight. And while she is not a beer drinker of the world, she said she would equate it to a good Samuel Adams

12. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

That's the last time I send you any :Poke: Sam Adams...ppPPPPPPpppp

(jk :D..glad she liked it :D)

13. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member