1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOA getting smacked down

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by 2Fer, Dec 16, 2013.

1. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good. Screw em all.

3. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Yup. I think the guy should have gotten more money than that but he seems satisfied.

4. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

+100

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

He'll be lucky to see a cent of that in his lifetime.

Additionally, the HOA is funded by the homeowners, so he just fucked his neighbors for nearly $900k. It's not like the actual cockbags that did this are footing the bill. :down:

6. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this. This punishes every owner regardless of guilt, intent or actions. It may indeed be overturned on appeal. I'd wager the verdict will not stand.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good - those owners shouldn't have elected those morons to run the HOA. They should pay for allowing that shit to happen in their complex. Screw em all.

8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Careful when you join an association and more careful when you elect Henny Penny the control freak to rule ;)

9. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

its possible that 49% of the owners didn't vote for these BOD members.

10. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

hopefully, all 100% of them will learn a lesson about how shitty HOA's are and will get rid of their HOA.

11. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

This X eleventy billion.

12. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I'd be curious to hear the basis for the $900k award.

I'm willing to entertain the idea that his reputation was actually damaged, but not to the point where it cost/hurt him $900k

As for the ordering being against the HOA, I think that's somewhat suspect too. It seems as though they knew exactly who was making the defamatory statements, and chose to go after the (perceived) deeper pockets of the HOA. That's smart legal strategy, but mildly unethical.

At the same time, I would fully expect for everyone in the HOA to sue the direct offenders to recovery any amount innocent parties are forced to pay out to the defamation victim. Joint and several liability means you pay, then you sue the people who didn't - the idea is to make the victim whole, then let everyone else sue each other over who SHOULD have paid.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good, then they need to go have a serious talk with the 51% who did... Doesn't change they as a group put these idiots in charge.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

When those people are doing something as part of the HOA then they AND the HOA as a whole are liable.

Agreed on the rest of the neighborhood going after them.

I also doubt it'll hold up and certainly not in that amount. But it will serve as a warning that the law applies even to power tripping idiots.

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I helped a friend move some mattresses to a new town home Saturday. Parked my truck in front on the street, unloaded, chatted for a few. When I went to leave there was a note on my truck about using the guest parking spaces not the street. I was there maybe thirty minutes if that. Lol, enjoy your new home buddy!

16. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

There is a lot of jobs that the accusation of being a child molester could ruin his career. Add in a small town that gossips (they all do) and it is a smear that will linger for a life time. 900K is cheap.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

HOA is likely a corporation. The people doing the damage were doing it as agents of the corp. I'd bet the HOA also has an insurance policy that may or may not be responsible for the payout.

18. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Any non-profit who does not supply Liability insurance for itself and it's Officers and Directors is foolish. Some states require O&D insurance for HOA's.

Seems to me that the guy could have a solid civil case against each and every individual who did this, in addition to the HOA. I think the HOA and the perps got off cheap.

19. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

I'd kill for a HOA in my 'hood.
    Well, not actually "kill"... :cool:

20. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

"Could" is not a damage. If he actually lost out on a job, then he's entitled to damages. That's why I'm curious as to how they came up with $890k. Sounds like a lot of punitive damages.