1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here we go again...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SpongeBob WeaselPants, Apr 14, 2003.

1. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

come on dave, you know you want to join us, remember woodstock? (guess not, how about the movie?):D:D:D

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry but as usual I think that you are letting your personal wish for a utopian type world cloud the reality of the situation. There are people who live in countries where the US has never really done anything that hate us just because we exist. This is human nature. This is reality. There is nothing we can do by ignoring it to make it go away.

I wish wars didn't happen. I don't like violence - however that doesn't preclude me from seeing that in certian situations it is the only viable option to accomplish long term peace and non-violence. Trying to get peace in certain areas of the world without violence is like the old time missionaries trying to preach to the heathen natives - you have to learn to speak a language they understand to teach them. In the missionaries case it was the local language, in the case of the middle east it's violence or at least the threat of violence.

It's like crime. Most people are kept in line by fear of getting caught, not because breaking the law is wrong. Again, it's human nature, it's reality. People everywhere need to know there are consequences to their actions, and they will be held accountable.

3. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

We aren't the only proosperous country, but about theonly one receiving so much hate
    I HOPE they're threats, but I'm afraid the boy's serious :eek:

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Man, Woodstock had it all. Rain, mud, filthy hippies copulating everywhere, the Brown acid...... All it was lacking was an A bomb blast. :D

"Bring on Shanana..."

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

But no one has overtly threatened them - hence my comment about the diplomats being able to have the "threat" hanging there yet still deny it to their counterparts face. Welcome to the world of diplomacy.

With regard to Syria specifically no one has declared war. All that has been said is "we know what they've done and they should stop". Not once has anyone said the military will be heading that way next have they (except the people looking for a new excuse to bitch about Gdub and his homeys)? However, there is no way in any discussion the Syrians can ignore what happened in Iraq and there is no way they can think that they can get away with the shit they've been pulling any longer without consequences. As for pissing off the Arab world - who cares? The upset ones are the idiots that have been warmongering forever and are now afraid that they might be called to account for it. That's like asking murderers on death row what they think of the death penalty. Or asking Arthur Anderson for advice on accounting laws... Or asking Gdub for help in your college English class... The Iraqi people sure don't seem to be all that upset that the US came in their country do they?

As for granny - we aren't trying to catch bees. We're trying to keep them from stinging us and killing each other - and that is done by wearing protective gear and occasionally killing the little buggers...

6. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

We just fought to enforce U.N. sanction violations put in place to keep Iraq from developing offensive weapons that would allow him to once again threaten neighboring countries. WMD's fall under this catagory even though they are largely independent of a delivery device which the original U.N. document more specifically addressed.

Desert Storm was precipitated by Iraq invading a sovereign country (Kuwait) and was intended to liberate that country. That's it.

I think my above reply accurately states why we went back. It wasn't to clean up a job that wasn't finished - it was a different job (liberation of Kuwait vs. upholding U.N. sanctions). The comment was pointed at your hindsight view of the original conflict. Sure, if we'd known the U.N. would pull the inspectors out for years without more action I think we'd have pursued our own agenda a little more. But that's all hindsight talking and I believe the decisions made at the time were the right ones, taken in context. Some conflict can't be avoided, and though I disagree with the timing, negotiations with Saddam were sure to come to this.

7. We aren't the only prosperous country, but we are #1.

EVERYONE wants to knock the champion off his pedestal.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The only one receiving this much hate? Couple of points - name me one country as prosperous as the US. Also name who is doing the hating and see if they are in any position to be calling any other country names. France is protecting their vested interest in a dictator that they had publicly agreed not to support yet did so anyway. Now they are mad because they picked the wrong side. Germany same thing. Arab states - saying the people of any of those ocuntries hate the US is like saying that all Iraqis hated the US 3 weeks ago. You can't do it, you have only the version of the peoples opinion that thie leaders give the media. And that is of course anti-US because if they agreed to do it right they'd lose power. And the vast majority of the actual people who hate us do so because they don't know anything about us, only what they've been told by their obviously biased leaders. Hell, you guys know better and know that letting people choose their own leadership is the best way to go and you still won't admit it, why would you expect them to?

Until the order comes down to start sending the military to Syria everything is just threats. However Syria would be stupid to take them lightly. You know, like Hussein did. On the other hand if Syria does as they are asked then no prob bob. Why is this so hard to understand?

9. Joe Morris

I disagree! We've told Syria that they are to stop aiding our combatant (should've been clearly communicated by political envoy before the start of military conflict) and we've cited the same criteria used to justify military action in Iraq. I think that's a helluva threat! C'mon, I'm not taking up Syria's defense, I'm just saying this isn't an effective way of using political influence. Military action is fine with me when its justified but we can't rely on that to solve all conflicts. This is some little piddly stuff that needs some behind the scene's threats. Public threats, especially those that show up the leader of a fairly radical country, are sure to make the issue more difficult to deal with.

And I'm telling granny what you said! :eek:

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Joe - I'm curious. You keep stating that Saddam had to be taken out using force yet you say at the same time that the timing was wrong. What logic are you using to make this judgement?

Seems to me that waiting longer would have done no one any better especially the Iraqi people - so why should we have taken more time? The other Arab countries weren't going to change their minds, France and Germany weren't going to change sides, no one was going to feel any different in 6 or 12 months, so why wait?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How od you know that Syria wasn't told privately? Hell, I remember in the beginning of the war (you know, all of less than a month ago) when Gdub and his homeys repeatedly said that other countries should stay out of it and not aid Saddam. Syria ignored that - blatantly.

I can guarantee that the behind the scenes threats were used - that is after all what the State Department is there for. Obviously they didn't work or the public ones would never have been used.

My guess is that there is intelligence that proves Syria is hiding someone very high up in the old Iraqi regime and they are refusing to admit it in the private end of things. Well Gdub can't just call Syria up - loss of face to do that. So he has to make his stance clear enough that the leaderhsip of Syria has no doubt at all, and this means all of the leadership and the people - not just the ones that are stonewalling the diplomatic effort.

Hell, I do that all the time here. Sometimes you have to make your position clear enough that there can be no doubt what it is and everyone is on the same page.

12. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Did not some one say something along the lines of Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

13. Steve Karson

Steve Karson Tcasby is my Bitch !!

Name one nation that is more generous with aide to other countries, strives to make the world a better place for everyone and/or has a higher set of morals than America. Whenever catastrophe strikes other countries, America is there to help out. We are hated because we are the biggest and the best.

14. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Has anyone else noticed...

... that North Korea has backed off its stance of meeting with the US one-on-one regarding its nuclear program. They now say they are willing to meet with the US on this topic in any setting.

Could it be that Kim Jong-Il has taken notice of what happened in Iraq and is afraid on being next on the list of deposed dictatorial regimes :confused:

Just wondering......

15. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Slow said:

"1. There were very few (if any) "innocents" in Japan. The civilian population, including women and children, was training en masse to repulse an invasion force. The calculation was that fewer people would ultimately die on both sides if the A-bombs were dropped than if they were not. That calculation was correct. "

Slow my friend, you are truly a revisionist!!

Before we dropped the bombs the Japs had pled for several days to negotiate terms of surrender. we said no terms, must be unconditional. Hence tens of thousands died b/c we refused to negotiate.

The notion that the tens of thousnads of children under 10 years of age killed by our nukes in 1945 were not innocent is to deny reality. Please come up with some documentation that this was: 1) a US consideration and 2) documented by the military prior to July 1945. Take your time. i will be patient. :D We could make this another tread if you like.

The whole plan was clearly terroistic: the message was "we will kill all your civilians if you don't give up." Indeed, Truman lied about the whole thing from the begining. Tried to justify it by calling Hiroshima a "military base". the rest of this is from historical documentation:

In a radio speech to the nation on August 9, 1945, President Truman called Hiroshima "a military base." It seems likely, considering his July 25 diary entry, that he was not aware that Hiroshima was a city. Otherwise, he was being untruthful about the nature of the target.

Truman delivered his speech from the White House at 10 P.M. Washington time on August 9, 1945. By this time, a second atomic bomb already had destroyed the city of Nagasaki. Because of the great length of the speech, most of which dealt with Germany, only the relevant paragraph is quoted here.

Truman: "The world will note that the first atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, a military base. That was because we wished in this first attack to avoid, insofar as possible, the killing of civilians. But that attack is only a warning of things to come. If Japan does not surrender, bombs will have to be dropped on her war industries and, unfortunately, thousands of civilian lives will be lost. I urge Japanese civilians to leave industrial cities immediately, and save themselves from destruction."

Rodger

16. Truman was merely being the prototypical Democrat! ;)

17. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Slow,

That is indeed very ironic!:D

But I'm still wating. . . waiting.. you are not getting off the hook. . . waiting. . .

Rodger

Waiting. . .

Waiting. . .

18. Joe Morris

The timing issue is simply that this is a conflict of convenience. We began placing time limits where none existed and I think we ultimately painted ourselves in a corner where even prudent inaction would make us lose face. Saddam began violating U.N. sanctions when he threw the inspectors out so why call him out now? This looks to the world like we're on a witch hunt following 9/11 and the snipe hunt in Afganistan. We're setting a perceived trend of taking over countries and changing their leadership at our whim and that's not going to make our War on Terrorism any easier.

Danggit Mongo, your drivin' me to drink. ;) See ya'll tomorrow! :beer:

19. Joe Morris

Re: Has anyone else noticed...

During Desert Storm, North Korea continued to make "unusual troop movements" that occupied forces in the Pacific theater for the duration of the conflict. I've taken this nuclear program issue the same way. Like its some passive-aggressive form of helping our enemies. :Poke:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2003
  20. Rodger - Unconditional surrender was the only option. Japan's mouthings about terms were widely considered to be a feint.

Hiroshima was most definitely a military target. Hiroshima housed heavy industry, which previous bombings with conventional bombs had failed to knock out. If the goal was, as you suggest, to go for maximum kill, why didn't we just drop both bombs on Tokyo or Osaka?

The bombing of Nagasaki seems, with hindsight, to have been possibly unecessary. Given the communications systems of the time and the inability to get consistently good military intelligence from Japan, it's doubtful that the War Dept could have seen then what we think we see so clearly now. I've always thought of Monday-morning quarterbacking as being rather pathetic.

The "message" wasn't even close to what you say - again, if it were, why not go for a big civilian population center? The REAL message was, we will not risk our troops to make you surrender. We don't have to use them to hurt you - we have other means. We are tired of fighting you and we WILL make this stop. Give up now before it goes worse for you.

What would you have done? Killed 250,000 our own troops and and millions of Japanese with an invasion? Continued conventional bombing until the entire country was a wasteland, thus killing millions anyway? Or acceded to the Japanese "terms," allowing them to keep their conquered lands and other ill-gotten gains, and giving them permission to kill millions of their captives?

"Terroristic," indeed! Such foolishness they teach kids today.