1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help.

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by GP_fresh, May 8, 2002.

1. GP_fresh

GP_fresh Guest

The subject pretty much states my state of 2-stroke motorcycle racing. I got a '98 rs125 which doesn't seem to quite run right.
    Every indication says that it is running rich but then again, I haven't been able to break 8K to really tell. The symptom is that when I start rolling in first gear, it has really trouble after 7K. RPM goes up really slowly and it has trouble pulling. After intensive fiddling around with the jetting I gave up on the idea that playing around with the jetting will solve this problem. I also tried it without the power jet.(Disconnected the electronics) It's not the spark plugs. I went down as low as 168 on the needles. I'm going to try to replace the reed valve but if anyone has any other inputs to this matter, it would be extremely appreciated. My other guesses as to why this is happening other than that curse the witch put on me is that:

1. The engine component (piston?) due for replacement. (I"m totally ignorant to the current state and the symtoms of needing replacement.)

2. Two strokes are suppose to do that until you break 10k and I'm an idiot (God forbid)

3. I bought a lemon rs125

tia

2. Stu

Stu Country Member

What fuel/head are you using? Check the ignition timing is set at 0 for initial testing. Does the exhaust sound ok , is the silencer packing ok? Change the top end anyway, you can always put the old stuff back if it doesn't change anything. Lower needle number is RICHER, ie 1268 is needle dia 2.68, 1269 is needle dia 2.69. Are you using unleaded needles with leaded fuel? Is the pilot airscrew and choke operating correctly? Also What size powerjet you got in? Is power jet shutting off? You havent got ridiculously high gearing on it have you ? :)

3. Mary#17

Mary#17 What member?

Not sure if it's the same problem, but my new 96 started well but just wouldn't do anything in the mid. Literally would bog down until it almost stalled (actually it stalled quite a few times). We adjusted the float level and that seemed to help a lot. So, maybe that will help you as well.

Mary

4. gpwannabe

gpwannabe Well-Known Member

Your Felix with the silver 125 @ Summit?

My heart went out to you hearing your bike die. A couple of things come to mind.

What gas? Run at least 110. Is your bike unleaded or leaded spec? You must set it up for one of the other which means having the right needles. I was running 1270s that weekend and was contemplating leaning it out one step further(1271). If your bike is setup for leaded you cannot run unleaded but if it is unleaded you can run leaded.

Don't ewxpect the two-stroke to roll on like 4 stroke. Going up pit lane like you were, you need to have the throttle near wide open slipping the clutch and even then the bike will bog, slip it more than feather away, 1st gear is like 70MPH!

I run 16/37 gearing.

5. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

Could be the reeds, but doesn't sound like it. Reeds go bad or break and it won't usually run anywhere. Could just be leaking a little, I guess, and effecting high rpm. So many two strokes that have sat up are bought and have bad crank seals. Do a leak down check on the crank case. It won't carburet if the seals are leaking. It could do all sorts of weird stuff, but it'll run anything but right.

6. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

What premix ration are you using? Dont expect the bike to make power till about 8,500. Is your spark plug fresh. I had a fairly new on in my bike and it sputtered a hickuped and 10.5-11.5 and could not figure out whats wrong. Changed to a new plug and its fine.

7. GP_fresh

GP_fresh Guest

gpwannabe,
    yes, that is me, and I forgot to thank everyone that help that weekend. Thanks a bunch for lending a hand! Everyone was extremely helpful even though "the thing" (which is what i call it now) never worked.

I was really busy since then, so I haven't touched it since then, but I'll try a few things now that I have the manual.

Everyone thanks for the comments, I will try and let you know how it works. My biggest problem right now is that
    it's kinda tough to hit 70mph in my neighbor hood so I guess I'll have to do some midnight runs at the Giant parking lot.

Wish me luck! :)

-Felix

8. sunshine

sunshine Well-Known Member

I'll ask a stupid question- Have ya checked the compression yet to see if you have a motor worth working with yet?

Sunshine