1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!! With Outlook/Exchange Server Problem

Discussion in 'General' started by RacerGirl117, Jun 19, 2002.

1. RacerGirl117

RacerGirl117 Well-Known Member

Does anyone out there know anything about Exchange servers? We've had to restart ours twice today for no obvious reason. It works, then it goes whacko, we restart it, it works, it goes whacko. Wash, rinse, repeat. Any ideas as to what could be causing it to freeze up?

TIA,

2. WERA

WERA Administrator

The manufacturer of the software :)

3. rmahr137

rmahr137 Member

did you change anything is the last couple of days. add/remove any service packs, stuff like that?

4. RacerGirl117

I haven't the slightest. I am not the IT person. Just trying to help. Unless our IT people have dialed in and downloaded stuff directly to the server, I would have to say no. It is behind a firewall.

5. EmerWill

EmerWill Well-Known Member

techie stuff

email me directly at [email protected] with the problem you are having...

Will

6. ZebProctor

ZebProctor Well-Known Member

I have quite a bit of expierience with Exchange... email me if you cna't get it up...

7. 13x

13x 13x.com

Send me a private message if you would like information on replacing exchange with something more stable.

8. RacerGirl117

Okay Jim. lol Like I call Don...okay, Smarticus.

Zeb...what makes you think I can't get it up?! Oh, you meant the server. Um, it's still not up. Jen suggested I look at the event logs for error messages. I don't know where to find those. I'm doomed.

Will, I posted the problem we are having. If I knew the exactness of it, I wouldn't require help. :)

9. ZebProctor

I'm hoping by the name you don't have anything that need to "get up" besides the server.....

10. ZebProctor

NT 4.0 sp6, or win 2000, or xp pro?

11. RacerGirl117

Windows 2000. But, as it turns out we ran out of space on the server that Exchange is on. Also turns out that this is not a dedicated to Exchange. There are quite a few other things running. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help gang. SClark was right...there are some nerds on here. :D

12. ZebProctor

unless you are using exchange for 5,000+ people , you really don't need it on a dedicated server... you get away with having a file/email server, but NOT a file/email/application server... and you want to make sure you mantain a certain amount of free resources......

13. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

And getting free advice over the Internet is sometimes worth what you pay for it ... nothing against the guys here, but you need to tell your boss that the IT person needs to hire someone to take care of this. You should concentrate on doing your job. If e mail is down, and you can't do your job, tell your boss. And let him/her tell the IT department to get their ducks in a row. And in this case, it means hiring an on site person familar with Outlook.

The cost of a part time consultant can easily be justified ... compute the loss productivity of the entire company due to the failure of the e mail system. You will be surprised.

14. ZebProctor

was that an implication that my advice was crap?? I was inferring from the situation that this is a small company (hell they don't even have a Network Admin), and if you are running a company with, let's say 50 people, it isn't practical to have a seperate application, gateway, and file/print server..... check your current OSI model for small businesses...

15. YamahaRick

No, absolutely not. I just saw the word "free" and thought it was a good tie in. :)

16. ZebProctor

good, cause you have always striked me as a good guy, and it didn't seem like you to imply something like that without even knowing me.....

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Damn Zeb, a little sensitive today aren't we?

18. ZebProctor

well something about being banned seriously got me on my bad side... I wonder who would ever do that?:confused: :confused:

19. YamahaRick

Me, a good guy? Well ~obviously~ you don't know me very well .... :)

20. NewRacer

NewRacer Tina! Come get some ham!

Et tu, Mongo?

:(

:rolleyes:

:cool: