1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with 2005 GMC Sierra

Discussion in 'General' started by Sprinky, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I'm looking at picking up one of our old work trucks for a steal of a price. There's one hitch with this truck though. You can turn off the ignition switch, remove the key, and the engine keeps running. I ended up pulling the ignition relay to turn it off. The tech who was driving it had the ignition switch and ignition relay replaced at an independent shop and he said that the problem was fixed for a week or so then it came back.

This is a 2005 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton 2WD long bed 4.3 V6 plain Jane work truck.

The price is seriously right, and overall the truck is in pretty good shape. I just don't want to open up a $2K can of worms with this shutting down problem.

Do any GM techs have any inisght here?

Thanks

2. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Could be that the BCM isn't sending the signal to shut it down. If it's that I just saw BCM's online for like $180.

3. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

That's what I'm starting to think. From what I'm reading on the GM forums, only a dealer can program a BCM since it's tied to the VIN #?

4. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

I believe so but don't quote me on that. Doesn't mean you couldn't get your own spare and take it to the dealer to then have programmed to save a few bills.