1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!!Radiator getting bang up by rocks

Discussion in 'Tech' started by fzgixxerman, Dec 13, 2009.

1. fzgixxerman

fzgixxerman AKA Mark Byrd

Guys, My radiator on my 07 gsxr 1000 is get pretty banged up by rocks at the track. What are your guys doing to stop it. I look at the cox radiator grille but was thinking your guys make have a better ideal. Thanks ahead of time guys.:up:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

The Cox guard is working good for me. I will be getting one for every motorcycle from now on.

3. Garrison

Garrison Well-Known Member

You can always just make your own out of wire mesh. Does the same job and would probably be cheaper (Home Depot/ Lowes). As far as I can tell it just needs to stop flying debris, right?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, mesh from HD/Lowes works great and is cheap and easy.

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

for sure.. bikes never leave the garage without some mesh. I get house gutter guards covers from H.D. or Lowes as stated above. A couple 3' sections is more than enough and CHEAP. The ready made guards for bikes are real trick, but expensive. I take the gutter guards and cut a couple sections (will need 2 sections as it is not wide enough to cover in 1 shot. Then use some safety wire to hold in place.
    Will save you MAJOR headaches from rocks and other stuff. Even if you never get an actual hole, more and more bent fins will reduce cooling ability.

6. APCh8r

APCh8r Well-Known Member

Can you post a picture of your setup?

7. fzgixxerman

Melkman, Thanks I found some 16in by 48in black mesh. I will post up my set up soon.

8. stainless screen from Summit Racing pop riveted to SV naked radiator side pannels. Auto door trim around screen so I don't get slashed to ribbons working on the bike. Total cost ~ $20

Attached Files:

9. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

You can also go uber high tech and get a metal mesh trash can or letter holder from Staples office supply, Target, etc. and cheap. About 6 bucks.

10. racrx451

racrx451 Well-Known Member

homemade is the way to go...

11. fzgixxerman

Thanks guys!!!! I'm building my guards next week I took off two days to work on getting the bike ready for paint and build the guards for the oil cooler and radiator.

12. UberRacing

UberRacing Well-Known Member

McMaster-Carr also sells this screen in a large enough size to cover most stock radiators.

13. fzgixxerman

Guys I finished the guards for the radiator and oil cooler. Here the pics. Radiator guard 001 (Medium).jpg

Radiator guard 002 (Medium) (2).jpg

Radiator guard 003 (Medium).jpg

14. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

Looks good :up:

15. Garrison

Garrison Well-Known Member

Zip ties? Will those melt?

16. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

looks good, but i would use safety-wire or some other metal belt/hose clamp type deal instead of zip ties because they might melt.

17. fzgixxerman

Looking at install safety wire on the oil cooler too. Radiator is wired in already. I was afraid the wire would rub a hole in the cooler so I'm use chainsaw fuel line to run around the cooler ends with the wire inside it. I thinking this will work perfect.

18. cmra417

cmra417 Member

plastic ties should be fine. I have used them on the guards for years without any issues.

19. Gumby647

Gumby647 SeƱor Member

Agreed, zip ties work fine. I feel it's to easy to damage the radiator with safety wire. I've seen people twist it pretty tight and crush the tubes.

20. fzgixxerman

I safety wire the radiator guard on the raditor brackets not the tubes so the radiator will not get damaged. The oil cooler is the one with the zip tie. but like a said I'm going with the fuel hose and the safety wire inside it hope it orks out.