1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed from Laptop experts

Discussion in 'General' started by Gumby647, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

My Tracey has told me she would buy me a new laptop for Christmas and I've been looking around for two days now and just don't know what to get. I'm looking for something mid-size, no 17" 10lb monsters but I don't want a PDA size mirco either.
    My current set-up is a Sony that's about 5 years old and it pretty much does everything I need it to do. The biggest letdown is the display. I can't see it outside when trying to tune bikes at the track. When I looked at CompUSA the new Sony's had the brightest displays but dollar for dollar it seems like I can get a lot more machine from Dell.

Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated like what to stay away from and who make the best display.

Thanks,

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I vote Dell.

3. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

I have had nothing but greatness from every Dell that I have purchased. I bought 7 for the last company I worked for and never had a problem with them. We have 2 personal Dell laptops here at the house that are great. WERA uses Dells at the races and they are great. The prices on the Dell systems seem to be a little better too.

4. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

I have a Sony Vaio but all things considered will probably get a Dell next time. They are a better value these days imo.

5. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

Ever use 'em outside? Is the Ultra Sharp setup the way to go?

6. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

If you want a windoze lappy Dell or IBM. Some people don't like the IBM's though. I myself prefer my Apple Powerbook.

-steve

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes I use mine outside a lot but the answer is yes and no. The ultra sharp is great but has a lot of refelctivity the matte finishes don't. However the shiny is better overall so I'd buy it again. It does show better in sunlight if you're wearing dark clothes. White shirts can cause a glare.

Damn, it reads like a DrT answer....

8. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

I bought one of HP's 10lb 17" widescreen monsters in Feb. love it...bought my wife a regular ol' HP a couple months back. she loves hers.

I'm a Sony TV guy, but I've been very satisfied with our HP's...FWIW.

9. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Look into Refurbished ones too.... can save a lot of $$ and they are still good as new IMO

10. Merl991

Merl991 Red River Racing

my vote is IBM... but i am very bias to who pays the bills.

11. Nguyen

Nguyen Well-Known Member

I bought the Dell inspiron 9300 17'' widescreen Awesome screen got the dell financing at 0% got the computer for $1350.00 with xp professional, cd and dvd rewrite,1GB ram, 100GB hard drive, and all the works. There is a website with tons of dell coupons. I got an extra $600 off mine with a coupon from that website. If you are interested let me know. It's a beast but I love it!:up:

12. woodyracing

woodyracing Well-Known Member

I've got an XPS and its incredible!
    The screen works fine outside if you set it on bright through dells quickset software.
    I would never buy any other laptop, this one is perfect!

13. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Toshiba makes some real nice laptops as well.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dell

I've owned two Gateways and a Toshiba. The Gateways were and are total, utter crap. The Toshiba was okay.

15. bafflebrain

bafflebrain Well-Known Member

I do a lot of systems installation and its always Dell for my customers. Dell laptops are reasonably priced and customer service is more often good than bad.

Get a Dell and if you're not happy..send it back.

16. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

Hell yeah I'm interested.

So everyone says Dell except one guy that works for IBM. I'm still not sure which way to go :moon:

Here's what I'm looking at.

Print This Page
    Description
    Inspiron 6000
    Date & Time: November 28,2005 9:11 PM CST

SYSTEM COMPONENTS

Inspiron 6000 Qty 1
    Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB), Genuine Windows XP Professional Unit Price $1,908.00
    Save $350 on select Inspiron notebook purchases $1499 or more
    Limited Time Offer!
    - $350.00
    Catalog Number: 29
    Module Description Show Details
    Inspiron 6000 Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
    Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows XP Professional
    Display 15.4 inch UltraSharp WSXGA+ LCD Panel
    Memory 1GB Shared DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms
    Video Card 128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON X300 PCI Express x16 Graphics
    Hard Drive 60GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
    Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
    Combo/DVD+RW Drives 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
    Wireless Networking Card Intel® PRO 2915 and Dell 350 Bluetooth Internal Wireless Cards
    Office Software (not included in Windows XP) No productivity suite- Corel WordPerfect word processor only
    Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) No Security Subscription
    Digital Music Musicmatch by Yahoo!™ Music- Entry level with 90 days of On Demand
    Battery 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (80 WHr) w/ 128mb Memory Key
    Hardware Warranty 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support
    Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months America Online Internet Access Included
    Digital Imaging Corel Photo Album™ 6 Starter Edition - Organize and Edit your photos
    Miscellaneous Award Winning Service & Support
    Financial Software No QuickBooks package selected - includes limited use trial
    Operating System Backup & Recovery PC Restore recovery system by Symantec
    TOTAL:$1,558.00

17. fiptas

fiptas L.O.C Endurance

Nice system but you can do better price wise. Go here LINK go about 1/4 down the page and follow the links and paste the coupon you can get the same system for about 1,200

18. G2G

G2G I feel the need

The Dell Inspiron 6000 is what I have right now and I love it! Can't go wrong with it.:beer:

19. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

I found a coupon that knocked another $150 off but I couldn't get it down to 1200.

20. Nguyen

Nguyen Well-Known Member

Here you go

Check this out Dell Home
    $750 off select Inspiron Notebooks $1999+ Code: 0$?D8229VCQJCZ Expires: Dec 01

:beer:

I know it expires Dec 01 But got to Techbargains.com and scroll down. There are a ton of coupon codes on the right hand side of the page. Make sure and check all of the coupon codes. I built several computers and kept putting in different codes until I finally found the best deal. If i get a chance i'll try to build one to your specs and see what kind of price I can get. Leaving today to go to Champaign,IL Going to see Dave cant wait. I'll try to get it in a couple of days. Good Luck