1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!!! Need Brake advice ASAP!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Tech' started by darkside879, Oct 8, 2009.

1. darkside879

darkside879 Well-Known Member

Just put a set of galfer stainless steel brake lines and ebc HH pads on my 05 GSXR 1000! It took me about forever(really 2 days) to get the lines bleeded with a mity-vac hand pump! When i finally got pressure at the lever and rode down the road it built up so much pressure the front end locked up! Of course i lowsided it!:( I had to crack the master cylinder open to get the front wheel to even move! So i removed the calipers and cleaned them really well then put everything back together! This time it built pressure fairly quick so once again i rode it(at a much slower pace) and the front locked again!!!! :mad: Jumped online and ordered a new master cylinder from suzuki and just got finished putting it own. Just to make sure i bleeded both calipers and the master cylinder very well! Everything was looking good until while riding it the front started to lock again!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad: I have entertained everything possiable and even asked all of my friends(bike shops where i live are complete idiots) and no one can come to any conclusion!! Please help cause im out of ideas and patience!!

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

you may be missing a crush washer on the banjo bolt at the ms. or the banjo bolt you had wont work with the lines you have now.
    if the brake line fitting doesn't match up perfectly with the holes of the bj. bolt it wont allow the fluid to return as fast as it is forced through by lever pressure. basically getting tighter each time you grab the lever. it may retun the fluid but not fast enough. this problem has noting to do with the pads.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  3. darkside879

Just walked out to double check and all of the washers are in place! 1 between the master cylinder and the first line,one between the lines and one between the bottom line and bolt! Also one of both sides of the line on the calipers! Also used the banjo bolt that came with the new lines!

4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Check the brake lever and make sure it is returning correctly and is allowing the piston to return and that it has a small amount of free play...

IF it is working correctly...then

There is trash blocking the return port in the master cyl..the hole is tiny and can clog with trash easily..especially if you push fluid back up from the calipers or don't keep things clean when you have the lines off.

Pop off the master, pull the snap ring out and pull the piston...clean everything and reassemble it all...

Then before you ride it, check to see if the brakes release like they should...no binding...wheel spins after you apply and release the brake lever several times...

5. darkside879

The master cylinder in brand new out of the box. You still think it could have got trash in it? And the lines bleed out really well. Could there be trash in the lines?

6. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Check the part I added to my post about the lever...if it is working properly and allowing the piston in the master to come all the way back then yes you could have trash in the master...new or not.

EDIT, I just saw where this happend with two different master cyl.s.....

7. darkside879

Just went and checked and the piston is coming all the way back. How do ifind out if there is trash in themaster cylinder? i haver never taken one apart.

8. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Pull the little rubber boot off where the piston rod comes thru...there is a small snap ring, using snapring plires pull it out...then the piston and spring will come out.....that is all there is in there.

the return port is the tiny hole...stick a flashlight up to the end of the bore and see if you can see light in both the intake and return ports...also check the piston for trash.

(You should always clean new lines before you install them)

9. darkside879

Ok going out now to try this! Thanks!

10. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

What Britt said.

And ... how much fluid are you putting in the reservoir and what is the condition of the pistons in the calipers? They clean? Are the seals lubed?

11. darkside879

The calipers are very clean and seals look to be in good shape. Just got done and saw no trash anywhere at all! The master cylinder piston and return are all clean and clear.

12. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

How did you verify this?

Is the lever oem or aftermarket?

13. metricdevilmoto

I'd look at the lever then. Has the lever ever been on the bike when it went down? I've seen bent levers do some funky things. Also, make sure you aren't over-filling the reservoir.

14. darkside879

Its a oem lever and no it has never hit the ground! Im totally lost!

15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I tend to forget over filling the rez...simple stuff goes over my head....

I would make sure the lever is really returning..

No obstruction in the return..then fluid has to return...the system is very simple, as long as the lever is pulled there is pressure, when you let it go the fluid that you compressed returns to where it came from...

Go back and look at it again, and check out what Melka said about the lines and bolts lining up..

16. darkside879

OK im going back over everything tomorrow afternoon when i get off! About spent for tonight! I just checked the lines and they are lined up. Also the rez is at the full mark,maybe even slightly under. About to the point to take everything lose and start over!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  17. metricdevilmoto

IMO, the "FULL" line is too full. I like to see the fluid level right at the "LOW" line.

18. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

????????? And...what was the problem?? Did you get it fixed yet.?

19. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

no kidding!! inquiring minds wanna know :confused:

20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

+1 on over-filled reservoir.