1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help ID this shock please..

Discussion in 'General' started by CAMELTOEHUNTER, Feb 24, 2012.

1. CAMELTOEHUNTER

CAMELTOEHUNTER Well-Known Member

Young guy calls today and asks if I can change the chain/sprockets on his bike. I say yes and he brings the bike in.

He's putting bolt on extentions and lowering the bike. Looking at it I notice it's safty wired and then look at the shock and see Penske, it looks in perfect shape.

I tell him I'll do the work free if he wants to swap out for a stocker and he gets all excited and agrees, happy to save 200 dollars.

Sooo, came off a 04-05 GSXR 600/750

Can anyone ID the model just by a pic? and will it fit my 06 GSXR 750?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. i have no idea about the shock. But your screen name is awesome.

That is all. :crackup:

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Well it's a Penske double-clicker. You should be able to mount it up to the 06/07 since it has a remote reservoir. But check the eye-to-eye length on it. The stock length on the 06/07 shock from bolt to bolt is 315mm. Obviously most people lengthened this significantly and also raised the front as well for race/track purposes.

4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Let me know if you want to sell it.
    I'd definitely be interested.

5. CAMELTOEHUNTER

Going to keep it, always wanted a good shock setup for the trackbike. I'm 140lbs and can never get the rear soft enough..

Just spent 10 minutes cleaning it up, it's mint condition..

So now that it's here, what type of ride difference are we talking?

6. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Give me the # off it and i can get you the info.

7. CAMELTOEHUNTER

That's why I asked about the model by picture ID, there is absolutly no model number on it..

Do they use a sticker? if so, it's gone..

8. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Give penske a call. many of their shocks are modular in design and interchangeable with a few mods. At any rate, you'll want to have the oil changed, the nitrogen recharged, the right spring installed and the correct valving; you might as well have it taken care of.

9. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

I actually have a Penske for a 06/07 600, but a 04/05 600 is what I need. I believe the 06/07 600 and 750 use the same shock. It's set up for 175 lbs. Shoot me a PM if you'd be interested in a trade.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Is this Scott that used to own the old Checkeredflag? I still have a set of your stands I bought about 7 years ago that I used daily and still going strong :beer:

In regards to the shock, I would send it into Penske and have them service it. I'm not sure where or if you're still located in PA, but Penske is HQ'd over in Reading and that's where I send my Penske to get serviced. They will inspect it thoroughly, rebuild it and run it on their shock dyno to make sure the valving is working as it should be as part of their service.....and it's quite reasonably priced as well. Mike Himmelsbach actually met me in the front office to take the shock in.

11. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

How can you tell it's not a triple?

And OP - measure the eye to eye length as suggested. Lots of people just figure "a shock is a shock" and bolt it up. Might be shorter/longer than OEM and you wouldn't notice a 10mm change in geometry by eye.

Kaz, what do they bust you for a refresh on your shock? Been needing to send mine out.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

If you open up the picture its a little easier to see up there, but the adjuster on the reservoir just has 1 big knob. The triple clicker has 2 knobs on top of one another

double

[​IMG]

triple

[​IMG]

I think it was just a tick over $100. In my case they even replaced a hairline cracked piggyback arm they found during inspection (never even saw it) free of charge :up:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  13. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Thanks. Mines a triple so I know what it looks like. I just couldn't tell squat from that tiny, blurry pic.

A hundred doesn't seem too bad. Dave Moss is out this way and I know Traxxion has a good rep. But having never used either I'd be just as inclined to send it back to the mothership.

14. trispdtrip

trispdtrip Poor, Fat, Slow Racer

that is the Penske 8981 double. it is a little older shock but still excellent. i would be happy to check her out for you if needed. i would recommend having it serviced and we can check the spring rate for.
    let me know.

15. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Oh yea, DUH!!! It's a Penske. I was drinkin at the time of my post. lol