1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helmets

Discussion in 'General' started by Senna, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Odd as I have a RPHA11 as well as Wife Inc and no fogging issues over 2 years. Last weekend was on the BRP and mid 40's with no fogging. And cheekpads stay put also.
    I wear eyeglasses so ultra picky on that stuff personally.
    That said, I did try the RHPA11 carbon helmet and it fogged like a muddytrucker, but I contribute that to HJC blocking the 2 outer chin holes with the inner chinbar insert to allow for communication system mic install.
    So the CF version only has that small center vent to try and clear the visor.
    The non carbon versions have 3 vents operational on the chinbar,

11CFCHIN.JPG

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  2. Arai for me as they have a shape that fits my head.

3. Yama-saurus

So on the Shark, is the only difference from GP and Race R Pro the honkin spoiler on the rear and the slight difference in chin curtain with the GP ?
    Innerds and fit still the same between the 2 ?

4. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Yes and the shields are the same. That big ass spoiler however, makes a huge difference while at speed. Not nearly as brittle as the AGV ones which are known to break prematurely.

Yama-saurus likes this.
  5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Did you immediately crash the first time you wore it?

SuddenBraking likes this.
  6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Sounds like I'll definitely need to check out the Scorpion.

7. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

Bell. The new MIPS DLX is tits

8. Yama-saurus

Remembered brother in law has a new R1 Air. Switched from X14 and said was his happy medium between X14 and Corsair X.
    His opinion is fit is really good, not as plush as Arai and doesn't quite move the air like Corsair X or X14, but isn't "bad" either.
    Thinks it flows air well enuff he doesn't really notice it.

9. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

Thankfully, NO! But the first find I saw that helmet on WSBK, I wanted it. Took over a year for them to offer it up to the public.

I forgot to mention the inflatable cheek pads in the helmet. There is a little pump ball inside the chin bar to inflate them and create a really snug fit. It makes a big difference. Incredible helmet for roughly $400.

10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I am a Bell guy. I used to wear Scorpion helmets until I watched my BIL get a subdural hematoma from a fall off a supermotard. I started looking for helmets that I feel go above and beyond with development for TBI's. Bell and 6D fit the bill but I could never find anywhere to try on a 6D so Bell won. I really have never had a single issue with Bell's I am currently running 2 different Race Stars in rotation. They both need to be replaced and it's gonna be costly but it is worth it IMHO. Until there is better I am sticking with Bell.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  11. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

I might just need to order new shields. Both of mine almost instantly fog up no matter the weather. It was one of the reasons I went back with scorpion after so many years bc the shields resisted fog so well without pin lock. I am really disappointed in the new shields. I'll order some and see if they're any better.

12. prm

prm Well-Known Member

It’s odd that so little conversation about helmets involves actual protection. Having broken two helmets in motocross, cracking my skull in many places on one occasion, I now look for helmets that focus on reducing damage from slow to high speed impacts and manage rotational impact. Many, if not most, of the helmets today are little improved on a 1982 shell with eps and a comfort liner. 6D and the Fly Formula (dirt only) lead the way. Bell is making efforts as well. The rest. Meh. I have a 6D, Shoei X14, and an older Bell right now. The x14 has a multi-density eps, but no specific means to reduce rotation. The aerodynamics are really good though….
    Until the testing standards are updated to incorporate what has been learned recently, specifically rotational impact, most companies will focus on looks, aero, ventilation, etc. ECE 22-06 seems to be a step in the right direction.

Senna likes this.
  13. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

You seem to have an agenda, but ignoring that, it really depends whose marketing you believe.

6D and Bell have gone to lengths to reduce rotational forces, but is Arai is pretty dead set on having the hardest and roundest outer shell with the least amount of molded in vents and shit so it won't catch any edges, and not transfer any rotational force to the head and neck to begin with.

For dirt bikes and MTBs, MIPS or other attempts to reduce rotational forces makes sense because dirt is soft and helmets will catch. For street or track, round makes more sense in my head. Either way, I have not seen a direct comparison that validates which approach is better.

14. prm

prm Well-Known Member

My agenda is preventing more brain injury. I’m living with it. I do not care about brands.

As for Arai, I would agree round/smooth is good. It’s a start, but only a start.

15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Good point. I purchased a Bell MIPS helmet for my dirt scooter last year and it was a key factor in my decision. The standard Bell Star has MIPS, while the Race Star has some sort of proprietary MIPS-like tech.

I may just end up with another Bell - probably the easiest thing to do at this point.

16. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I wasn’t aware that a few helmets that meet the new ece 22.06 have started to become available. The HJC RPHA 1N and Arai Quantic are among them. In addition to some rotation test, they have to meet both a high speed and slower speed test requirement.

17. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Why isn't 6D approved by the FIM/Dorna for use in Grand Prix or WSBK series? Beaubier had to switch to Bell if I remember correctly because 6D wasn't approved.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Anyine tried either a KYT or even a Premier? Just interested since KYT is involved with that WERA kids class.

The Alpinestars dirty bike helmet looks wicked awesome.

19. prm

prm Well-Known Member

In an interview I saw it was due to 6D not having a system in place to support riders in Europe. The 6D is ece 22.05 certified so I think it should have been fine?

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I think you have to formally submit examples to the FIM (or whomever) to get them approved for MotoGP.

Probably a cost associated with that.