1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helmets??

Discussion in 'General' started by TBSgraphics, Jan 21, 2006.

1. TBSgraphics

TBSgraphics Well-Known Member

Ok, over the last year or so, I have heard talks of what is better in a crash, some beleive that the High $ names like aria, shoei, and suomy are great helmets but in an impact type crash they seem to be too hard and transfer to much energy to the head causeing problems. I saw 5 major crashes last year at our club (MRA) and 3 were taken to the ER and one had to have holes drilled in his skull to drain blood. The all three were wearing shoei/ Aira, the other 2 had injuries but no head injuries they were wearing HJC and Shark..

Is there any proof what is better? does anyone know of any real studies to look at these ?'s

Whats is the general poll out there of what to wear, beside what fits good and looks bling...

It was suggested to me to try a HJC ac-12(their high end helmet) after that person "tested" it with a full high speed high side right to his head and had no problems....

comments?

2. coiz

coiz Well-Known Member

:Pop:

I wear Arai. They fit me the best.

Maybe I should also note that my teammate tested the friction rating of the asphalt under the Suzuki bridge at RA wearing a HJC and his head was fine. He tested several of them in fact. ;)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  3. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Welp, Nori wears a Arai....nuff said...:D

4. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Ok, I'm awake and bored :)

There are multiple threads on this (try the search), and many peeps have their own opinions. I have mine, but I will keep them to myself. Here is a [EDIT: not so] brief synopsis of the facts...

1. The most important thing is fit. If it doesn't fit you well, it won't work as well.

2. There have been a small number of formal studies, and a few other less-formal ones (like the Motorcyclist test you may have heard of). It is generally accepted that there has yet to be a true, full-on, comprehensive, controlled study. However, every study that has been done measuring impact forces and/or formally tracking injury severity and death says that there is no quantifyable evidence that the more expensive helmets are safer.

That said, there are those who feel that they have personally observed enough crashes involving various helmets to have recognized a patern indicating that the more expensive ones do work better.

3. More expensive helmets have more going for them apart form this issue. They tend to be more comfortable, have better finishes on them, and the shileds and shield retention systems are often superior...venting too.

That said, the (what I would consider to be) 2nd tier brandds (HJC, KBC, Scorpion, etc.) have made huge strides in this area. Many people who used to swear by only the top-shelf stuff now are happy in the less expensive hats. Others are only happy with the bigger dollar stuff for a multitude of reasons (see above).

4. Anecdotal evidence like 'I know a guy who crashed in an XYZ helmet, and he...' is completely useless re: gathering actual data. If it makes you feel better that a dude hit a bus at 90 in an XYZ and was uninjured, that's cool, but it isn't data.

That said, if you have better piece of mind re: the above style of evidence, and you can be more relaxed and focused when you're riding as a result, then that is a definite benefit that should not be ignored.

5. Until there is a real, comprehensive study about this, we won't know for sure. There is compelling evidence that the less expensive helmets are at least as good as the premium ones, but there is much left to learn before we can safely say that we "know" the answer.

6. Get a helmet you like. it's pretty hard to go wrong these days, as long as you get one that fits properly and is comfortable.

5. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

That is the best I have read on this subject so far thunder.

Good job.

6. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

My husband wears a Shoei. He's had two major crashes in the last 6 years. His head was fine! The back protector did it's job and for the most part he was ok (besides a broken neck and some broken ribs and other stuff....). The helmet was awesome. I would recommend Shoei to everyone. He's not crashed in other helmets so I wouldn't know on those...:D

7. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

I have only had Shoei and Arai my self, but my next helmet will likely be Suomy, or HJC.

8. mb4lunch

mb4lunch Expert#40 SouthEast

get the cheapest Scorpion plastic helmet you can buy (EXO-400) solid. About 149bux. Awsome fit and features. Removable liner. No fog face shield...... Thats why I win in the rain baby! Great fit and ventilation. And the price allows you to own 2 or 3 of them. I have destroyed them with big impacts and no (further) damage to my brain!
    If you crash in practice and your helmet won't pass tech...you need another one to race. 2 "A" brands could cost $1400bux. 2 Scorpions...$300. (get the poly-plastic..not the fiberglass) The glass ones are too hard and transmit blows directly to the noggin!

This is only my opinion....don't give me any crap! Thanx! MB

9. cvedral

cvedral Well-Known Member

Not a subject to play with. I had serious head trauma, holes drilled in my skull to relieve the pressure. Spent two months Savanah memorial wakeing up and live daily with the lasting effects. Most people say "you seem fine"! Hopefully, They won't ever see it from my side. I always upgraded my helmet after a bad fall and a new one every year and it still happened with a brand new arai. I don't know which brand helmet is best I liked the fit of Arai and felt they were the best. The old sales pitch "how much is your head worth" I don't see as a joke anymore. Yeah this is a sore subject to me.
    Charlie

10. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

Here is a link to the article you need to read. A good read for sure.Motorcyclist Magazine article detailing helmet safety standards. The Snell helmets have a much stiffer shell in order to pass the Snell standard. Where road racing is concerned the BSI standard and the ECE-22.05 are better IMHO. Read for yourself. Sure the Arai and the Shoei are the most well made in terms of overall build quality. Their shell is stiffer to pass the Snell which means they are not as effective at reducing transfer of energy to your head in a crash. The Shark, the Vemar, the private label Suomy and the Schuberth are ECE-22.05 or BSI certified.

Take a moment, read the article and make your own decision. The Snell cert is mainly a marketing tool at this point. Yes, some may view my opinion biased as I am selling the Vemar brand. I own three Arai, one KBC, one Shoei, one AGV and five Vemars. Sure I will still wear the other lids a bit, the Vemar will be on when I am racing for sure.

11. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I "tested" one of these last year at Beaver Run and remember nothing!! Had basically the same crash a few years back with an Arai and remembered everything. My head still hurt, but at least I wasn't knocked silly

12. oldbeginner

oldbeginner Well-Known Member

I wear an AGV XR-2, I crash tested mine at Jennings last Aug. I landed on my left shoulder and Head. I walked away, well, Ok limped away.

I wear my AGV over my Arai when racing because I get less buffeting at speed.

13. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

I was there when Charlie crashed in Turn 9 at Roebling. It was one of the worst crashes I've ever seen. Between all the crashes I've seen all I can say is thank god for protective gear.

Hey Charlie!

14. Moonpie

Moonpie Yo Yo Yo!

What makes the cost higher of an Arai/Shoei brand over Scorpion or HJC???

Paying for a name?? Raw materials?? Surely not the paint...they are all painted some design regardless of cost/brand.

I wear X-11 Shoei for several reasons. I have owned four Shoei lids and one Arai. The Arai had far more wind noise & that ridiculous..IMO..shield system. None of the round shape lids fit me..and X-11 seems to fit my oval shape best.

I think when picking up the lesser price lids the first thing I notice is the product seems less substantial. I want the most protection for my noggin...not the most cost effective.

15. nig

nig Well-Known Member

Japanese labor costs more than Korean/Chinese labor.

16. da chop

da chop BEN SPIES is my hero.

i wear a ICON Mainframe. fits great. my bro bounced his head on the asphalt at barber 2 years ago wearing a icon. the helmet has big scratch marks all around it where he tumbled. the shield broke off, other than that he did not suffer any head injuries.

jm
    :D :D :D

17. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

There have been several studies regarding this.

If you can tell us how you are going to crash.... we can find data that will tell you which helmet "might" offer the best protection. Are you going to have blunt-force trauma, a piercing blow, etc... it's a gamble.

What I have found is that lower dollar helmets (KBC, HJC, ICON, etc..) seem to skimp on interior quality. They have so save $$ somewhere I guess. So in a year or so the liner is shot and all ragged out.

My faves are Vemar and the top of the line Scorpion-EXO. Can't beat the Scorpion if money is a factor. It is IMO really a $400 helmet that sells for $200. The interiors are totally removable and about $50 to replace. Buy an extra and swap them so one can dry.

That fact that Scorpions shield is fog-proof and they can include it as standard on a $200 helmet rocks! It's easier to avoid an accident when you can see out, right?

Wonder why Arai, Shoei, and the other "premium" helmets can't fit a fog-free shield. Would have been nice last year at BeaveRun I bet!!

Lastly, I see helmets in the paddock that I wouldn't let my dog wear. When a helmet hits the pavement it is IMO JUNK, cut the chin strap off and toss it out.

18. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

I "think" these are OEM'd by HJC for PU.

19. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

DATA for you to chew on.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I crashed HARD wearing an Arai a few years back and I feel that if had been wearing a budget helmet, I'd be worm food. The Arai saved my life.

I've switched to Suomy because it actually improved on the near perfect fit of Arais. I trust Sumoy enough to switch from a brand that I loved to the point of obsession.

You can post data and opinions from every doctor and garage mechanic you want, I'll preach the helmets I use and trust until the day they shove me into a box and toss dirt on me.