1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helmet help/advice please!

Discussion in 'General' started by mmfoor, Jul 26, 2015.

1. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

My Bell top of the line race lid is now out of legal WERA race date spec.
    I need a new helmet before Tally.
    Money is an issue as I have had to go out of pocket to get the thing back on the track after the theft.

Need a recommendation for a quality helmet with a newish date. Don't need fancy. Single color large is all I need.

Recommendations?

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You should be able to get a bell rs1 or star on closeout for a few hundred that will be good for at least a year. Try riders discount

3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

4. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Bell RS-1 for $210 or Star for $230 shipped last I looked from Riders Discount about a month ago. 2013 build dates

5. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

seems like all the really great deals, Bell included, are polycarbonate shells which I will never trust my head to. I want the shell to absorb and disperse the impact, not the liner.
    Have found a Shoei on RD in the mid $300 range. Snell 2010 but no manufacture date given.

6. noles19

wait did you not just say you had a top of the line bell? but now you don't trust them?:confused:

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Morris, don't skimp out on a lid. You can't afford to rescramble your eggs.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He doesn't trust the cheap poly Bell helmets.

9. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

the good Bell helmets are fiberglass/kevlar blends at the least. IMO, polycarbonate lids are close to suicidal. Bell would never put their name on a polycarbonate back in the day but now their name cannot be trusted at the lower end of the price spectrum.

Don't quite get your 'confused' issue. I am looking for a good deal on a SAFE helmet, not a bowling ball with a liner and a fancy paint job.

10. noles19

The confused icon is because the bells that were listed are either carbon kevlar, or fiberglass/kevlar like the rs1.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nothing that has been suggested here is a poly lid, they're all the good ones for good prices.

12. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

the Scorpion I linked is poly

13. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

from the site given:

Advanced Polycarbonate Shell: Developed exclusively by Scorpion, our industry-leading polycarbonate shell is engineered to minimize weight and disperse impact.

Thanks. Gonna research the Bell stuff now

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you only have 1 helmet? I would think if "safety" were a concern racing in a close to expiration date helmet might be on the priority list. Glass houses and all :Poke:

Seems scorpion has some options:
    http://shop.scorpionusa.com/c/street-helmets_full-face-helmets?pp=25

http://www.scorpionusa.com/riders/

15. gixxercurt

gixxercurt Curtis Murray

Really hard to go wrong with a Shoei

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

This. Never had any issue whatsoever with a Shoei, got two in rotation now. The rubber strip around the bottom of my Arai started peeling off today. Same thing I've seen happen to other Arai's. Doesn't affect the function of it but shouldn't be happening nevertheless. I'll leave Arai to the fanboys from now on and give my coin to Shoei. :up:

17. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/agv-grid-lucchinelli-replica-helmet/

I got this link on A PM yesterday. Never had an AGV but it sure looks good. Not Snell but I believe the org listed is on the WERA OK list.
    Best price yet that I have seen. My big question will be the date.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. My Bell is a $600 job, not a scratch on it, not even used for 1 season and was out of date in June. I was hoping for permission to use til the end of the season but the rule is the rule. am a musician as you folks know, so I am going to sell my 3 Fender Squiers to cover the helmet cost: a Strat, Jazz bass, and acoustic. All 3 are in new condition and none will be over $200. Will have all 3 at Tally. Sorry for the add on the sly.

18. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

TJ at Riders Discount for a Shoei, can't go wrong by doing this and it should fall in and around your budget.

19. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Do I need to loan you another helmet?

20. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

Call Uncle Phil at STG.