1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helmet doesn’t have manufactured date?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dr.Duct_Mossbur, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Dr.Duct_Mossbur

Dr.Duct_Mossbur Well-Known Member

I have a Shark Race R Pro GP helmet (the shark helmet with the big spoiler) and went to tech with it for the first time when getting my race license a few weeks ago. They couldn’t find the manufacture date in the helmet anywhere but ended up letting me wear it because they knew the helmet design was new for 2019. The helmet comes with a card, that has the manufacture date with the helmet serial number but does not have the date inside the helmet.

How should I approach this when taking it to tech in the future? Should I take the card to tech with me? Or am I just screwed in using the helmet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Did y'all look under the cover inside?

3. Dr.Duct_Mossbur

Everywhere... took the entire lining out.

dtalbott likes this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

ask Shark how they serialize the helmet to the card? Maybe a blue light? Maybe a decal?

5. Dr.Duct_Mossbur

There is a holographic decal on the helmet with the serial number and they provide you with a card that has a matching sticker

6. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

After a bit of googling it appears that "Euro helmets only mandate the production serial number, not date of manufacture." Some manufacturers include a date, others don't. I haven't yet found how to locate the date of manufacture by the serial number but I would guess there's a way.

7. Dr.Duct_Mossbur

I have the manufacture date. It’s on the card

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Laminate the card and keep it in your helmet bag to show tech inspector

9. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

My X-Lite X-803R Ultra Carbon doesn't have a manufacture date either. I had a hard time passing it through tech last time I raced in May. I'll look for a card in my helmet box...

10. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

As a tech inspector I can vouch that it verily sucks that they keep breaking things that work. Arai's idea of etching the date into the buckle was great; wish everyone would do it. Putting it inside where I have to search for it in (too often moist and stinky) liner material is a pain, especially when it's printed in tiny font. Bell was putting it on the outside on a sticker on the back, which was nice but it's possible that they decided that was costing them too much in helmet sales because people could see the date too easily.

When we have a mile-long line of riders waiting for tech inspections on Saturday morning there's nothing fun about having to stop everything to locate a nearly impossible date on a helmet.

Nothing in the current rulebook says anything about how the date of manufacture has to be determined so I would think a manufacturer's statement of date with matching serial # on an accompanying card would be sufficient. If the card has a "matching sticker" as stated above, why not affix the matching sticker to the helmet and be done with it?

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Could WERA use a sticker to indicate that a helmet had been inspected at a prior event that would allow for a cursory review at subsequent inspections? Might make your life simpler later in the season.

badmoon692008 and zippytech like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Bring the card with, that'll work fine as long as we can quickly match the serial number and card.

I've thought about stickers to approve a helmet for a year but getting good stickers would cost a bunch and bad stickers will just have riders cheating the system. Sadly too many don't actually care about their safety equipment.

Quicktoy likes this.
  13. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Would be cool if you could have some nice barcode stickers that tech could just scan to verify helmets approval or expiration date.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds great. Now I need a minimum of 6 barcode scanners as well as 3 computers along with gensets to make sure they have power wherever we're doing tech.

There are a LOT of things I would love to do however I have to be able to run at least three events on any given weekend as well as transport all of the equipment to all 3 events - including the West coast. Then add the fun of getting all of it back to the office if needed and out to the next event the following weekend. UPS loved it when we had to ship boxes of paper and computers second or next day air.

The things I could do if it were just me doing one region would be truly fun. But that's not my currently reality :D

15. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

I hear ya. What if you had a simple app on a cellphone that used its camera to scan the barcode? Would need internet access I suppose, but it could tell the person scanning who the helmet belongs to and when it expires.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can't write apps. Would still have to keep up a database and then provide phones with that app to the tech peeps. Can't expect them to waste their own data plans on working for us.

17. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Last I knew, AHRMA uses a sticker at the beginning of the year. Somebody could possibly cheat the system but they can now too. All they have to do is carry up another person’s helmet. Eventually you can’t save people from themselves.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ours won't work with anothers helmet unless you mean moving the event sticker we do from one to another. Not easy but doable if they truly want to I guess.

19. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Makes you second guess the whole " it NEEDS replacement in xx years!" argument? They don't even date them?

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes me think I wouldn't buy from a maker that doesn't date them. It is a simple fact that foam breaks down. You can argue how long and how much but no one denies it isn't as effective after a certain point. Same for the composites making up the shell. We have determined that point for our purposes to be 5 years.