1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helmet build date and tech...

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by STEEZO, Dec 22, 2011.

1. STEEZO

STEEZO Well-Known Member

I ordered a new helmet for next season and it arrived today. I was specifically looking for an Scorpion EXO-700 since they fit well and my last one did well when I decided to headbutt the pavement.

I e-mailed and called the seller to let them know that I'm racing next season and wanted to make sure the build date is new enough to be within the 5yr rulebook requirement.

The e-mail response was, "all our helmets are 2009 or later". And the response over the phone was "we have a bunch of EXO-700s. I can check, but that's probably not the one you're going to get."

So when I opened the box and inspect the helmet today, there's no build date inside. I removed the complete inner liner and nothing. Just a SNELL sticker with a serial number.

If I contact Scorpion and if for some reason they can provide the build date, will that fly with Tech? Or should I just not waste my time and return the helmet?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not sure where it is on Scorpions but there is a date there somewhere. Maybe even just a sticker on the back.

3. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

My EXO-700 had one under the headliner on the right side of the helmet above the Snell sticker.

4. STEEZO

STEEZO Well-Known Member

My old EXO-700's date was in that same exact place. I completely removed the headliner and the cheek pads. No date to be found.

5. jamve

jamve Well-Known Member

I was looking at a Suomy helmet today. It's the spec-1r Hodgson but the build date is 06. It never sold and has been sitting on the shelf for years. Will it not pass tech even if it's brand new because of the build date?

6. dubguy85

dubguy85 Well-Known Member

You are correct.

7. jamve

jamve Well-Known Member

Well there went his sale. He came down to 300 for the helmet. I saw the build date and knew I couldn't use it. Doesn't hurt to ask huh. Hmm, my shark is 06. Oh shit.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

The helmet still has useful life just not as piece of race safety equipment. ;)

9. milroyjr

milroyjr Flatlander

How about for an arai corsair v? I've got everything out, can see the snell tag, but no build date? Bought the helmet 2 years ago.. But I know that doesn't mean anything.. Any ideas where to look?

10. milroyjr

milroyjr Flatlander

Never mind, I found it on the chin strap.

11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

So........what's the date?

12. milroyjr

milroyjr Flatlander

I'm good for another year. 2008 build date.

Time to start watching for some good 2010 arai sales though..

13. MC Power House

MC Power House www.mphbikes.com

At one point there were talks of allowing helmets to pass tech up to 3 years after the purchase date - if they were older than 5 years.

A helmet doesn't really age sitting in a box in a warehouse so if people have the receipt and show it at tech - will it fly?

14. jamve

jamve Well-Known Member

Answer better be no since I just spent a few pretty pennies for a new helmet :crackup:

15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

+1...I had one out of date for 10 days and didn't think they would let me ride with it. It was signed by Rossi at Indy 08. Dane showed it to another Tech, he said since Rossi signed it, he can use it this weekend but replace asap!

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No. The helmets don't have serial numbers so we have no way of verifying the helmet on the receipt is the one we are looking at. We used to do a one year thing but it just didn't work.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's actually our normal response even without Rosssi's sig :D

18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I figured they might let me slide:up:
    Dane was holding my helmet as to say "what dufus would race with a Rossi signed helmet"? Rossi actually asked me when he pointed at my helmet "You lika signature"? Couldn't just say no!