1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello!

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by LED1975, Aug 11, 2017.

1. LED1975

LED1975 Active Member

I'm about to do my very first track day next Saturday at Putnam. I'm a little nervous. I've been riding street only for about 16 years, and my little (stock) Ninja 250 is my first "true sportbike" since I've ridden standard/naked bikes from the start ('77 Kawasaki KZ650, '00 Kawasaki ZR-7, and currently a '14 Yamaha FZ-09) and I've never even gotten close to getting a knee down, never dragged a peg....so I'm pumped and nervous at the same time.
    Since the classes are only novice, intermediate, and advanced, I'm aware that I'll have all sizes of bikes out there with me. I've heard a lot about the power difference being a potential problem or danger.
    Any thoughts or advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

stay cool and have fun!

LED1975 likes this.
  3. booger1

booger1 New Member

Relax and have fun kid.

LED1975 likes this.
  4. LED1975

LED1975 Active Member

I can't wait!!

5. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Hold your line, and try to be predictable. Don't worry about who is coming from behind, because turning around to look changes your line. You will be getting passed on the straight, so just get used to that.

Don't worry about "dragging a knee" either, that will just happen. And have fun!

LED1975 likes this.
  6. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the addiction! I'm not sure how competitive you are, but don't try to override your limit or get sucked into trying to keep up with someone faster. Just relax, listen to the CRs, and have fun! You'll learn a whole lot so try to soak it all up and apply it

LED1975 likes this.
  7. LED1975

LED1975 Active Member

Not really competitive, just hate that feeling that I'm holding up my friends I'm riding with [on the street]. Since I probably won't know a soul out there on the track, and it's going around in a big circle, there's no worry that someone is sitting at a stop sign waiting for my slow ass [emoji23]

8. LED1975

LED1975 Active Member

Bike prep for the first track day is just about finished. [​IMG][​IMG][emoji16] Yep. That's rainbows and unicorns. [emoji23]

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Love it!
    I predict after a couple trackdays you won't be holding up your buddies on the street any more. Smart move taking the 250 instead of the FZ9

LED1975 likes this.
  10. booger1

booger1 New Member

One of the control riders @ NCM was on a 250-300. That was intermediate.

LED1975 likes this.
  11. LED1975

LED1975 Active Member

We went out riding for a few hours yesterday, and both of us had a blast. I was on the 250 and my husband rode my FZ-09. I buzzed a Harley at about 85mph and giggled like a kid!

12. LED1975

LED1975 Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

what's with the string to the gopro? looks like if the mount lets go you'll be getting smacked in the face. Will make for good footage I guess...

14. LED1975

LED1975 Active Member

That's a tether to hold it in place at that camera angle.

15. condon66

condon66 Member well known

So, did you do your trackday?

LED1975 likes this.
  16. LED1975

LED1975 Active Member

Yes I did! I had the time of my life. Now I truly can see where I need to make some improvements. I didn't drop my shoulder in enough to get over as much as I'd liked. However I did for the first time get a tire hot enough to make it "fuzzy"
    This was after the second or third session [​IMG]
    This was after one of the last couple of sessions.
    [​IMG]
    I'd like to share the GoPro video, if I can find the Facebook link.

ToofPic likes this.
  17. LED1975

LED1975 Active Member

18. LED1975

LED1975 Active Member

I should say, (as a friend told me) one hit off the track pipe and I'm already an addict.
    I was THE ONLY 250 on the track, so I'm starting to think about something slightly bigger. I'm not sure that I'm ready for that jump to an R6 or anything like that, but something with a little more oomph than the 250 has to offer.

19. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Street riding pales in comparison, doesn't it? I never made it so far as to actually race but, doing time on tracks on a dedicated track bike and listening to and taking advice from people takes you so far beyond what you can ever accomplish on the street. And, it's a million times safer. Physical issues and then a divorce has kept me away for years now but, yeah, there's nothing like it. It was the most satisfying thing in my life. I miss it terribly.

LED1975 likes this.
  20. LED1975

LED1975 Active Member

I like street riding for what it is....a chance to ride with friends, go places, see things, etc.
    But I can definitely see the attraction to the track. I was nervous as hell when I got there - about ready to climb a wall before the first session. Then once I was out there, I was actually more relaxed than I am on the street. I didn't get the sore shoulder or the numb tingly hand as I sometimes do on the street.