1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Held Gloves ... Whats everyone wear?

Discussion in 'General' started by ranman, Jul 14, 2004.

?

Which Held glove do you use ... or have used?

1. Krypton

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. Galaxy

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. Akira

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. Profi

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  5. Super Jorg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Ninja

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. Other

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  1. ranman

ranman Well-Known Member

Looking to see which models are most popular ...
    What better group of people to ask? ;)

Also any input/experiences about the specific gloves would be nice :)

Thanks !!! :beer:

btw - just trying to get an idea on which ones people are using and any other useful info ... nothing more.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2004
  2. oldbeginner

oldbeginner Well-Known Member

I wear held's steve touring glove for my road bike. Very good glove.
    I have tryed on a pair of krypton gloves when I bought a set of leather. The gloves fit my hand fine but wouldn't go over the sleeve of my leathers. So I didn't get them.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Used to use the 2277 and had a pair of Galaxy.

Switched to RS Taichi for my semi glorious return. :D

4. Eddie845

Eddie845 E-LO FRM THE BLOCK

I use the 2277 also. On one of my first getoffs I tore one up and just sent it in to get it repaired. Cheaper than buying new ones.

5. Martin M

Martin M Former BRP Rider

I bought the Krypton gloves last year thinking it's the best thing around and they tore apart in a low speed getoff (abrading my hand again). I'm back to Kobe gloves now.

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Wore 2479s (best I remember) for years. Needed to replace `em last year. Learned that Helds are no longer made in the EU, outsourced to (insert name of your least favorite country here) and the construction quality is a bit "iffy" so I bought some Lee Parks Designs gloves.

VERY fine gloves!

7. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Held lowdown (from someone who uses and sells them, so I am a tad bit biased)

The Krypton is a lightweight Sport Glove with killer ventilation. It's not really a full-on racing glove.

The Galaxy and Akira are the Top of the line RACING gloves. Note the 100% kangaroo construction (3X to 4X more abraision resisntance than cow leather) , riveted palms (so when you stick those hands out they slide and don't stick and rip out the palms ala Krypton) Nomex backing of rivits (so the heat generated by the sliding doesn't burn your flesh) hard knuckle protection which may or may not be a good thing depending on the dynamics of your crash. Hard carbon long gauntlets to protect forearm wrist area.

IMHO the Galaxy at $185 and Akira at $165 are great deals.

In addition they come in XS - XXL (7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5, 11) so you'er never in between sizes. Exact fit is a snap.

I'm not just the president........ I'm also a member.

8. STT-Rider

That is NOT true.

ALL HELD Kangaroo gloves (Krypton, Galaxy, Akira, Profi) are made in Hungry. German labor became too pricey to allow Held to keep a price point reasonable range(s). The lower pricepoint gloves are made somewhere else (Pakistan maybe), I don't know because we don't sell the cheap-o Helds.

Construction of Galaxy, Akira and Profi is the best of any Glove I have ever seen.

The former importer Helimot (alledgedly) spread falsehoods about quality when Held yanked the line from them.

Held was not happy with Helimots refusal to support the entire product line and refusal to stock (BUY) enough product. (It was very hard to find Held product when Hilimot handled it, I know I tried. ) The current US distributor bought more product in six months than Helimot had in six years.

9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Somewhere between the two is the truth. Helimot says they dropped HELD because of requirement to carry the outsourced gloves.

I've got no axe to grind here, being a user, not an importer, distributor or retailer of any brand.

All I know is my old HELDs held (no pun intended) up well to multiple lapses in my talent. I've been a satisfied customer of Helimot for a long time for a variety of products, and trust their judgement.

YMMV

10. gixserman

gixserman Well-Known Member

I gotta buy some gloves, really soon and was looking at the rstaichi evos how do you think they 'compare to the high end helds ?

Where to buy em ??

I got a set of old profi's and when I came in from a session they had a hole by the strap. I picked em up used so I can't say how old they are or anything.. .. anyway its time for some new gloves
    Thanks

Last edited: Jul 14, 2004
  11. STT-Rider

Held shifted it's manufacturing on the Kangaroo gloves to Hungary and built a new factory to accomplish this.

I've met Edgar Held (he actually hand made a special set of gloves for my wife) and I beleive him. He is a nut about quality. He told me what I typed above. Helimot had a choice, commit or bail. They choose the latter and that's cool. It was ultimately Helimots choice.

12. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

If they're manufacturing that stuff in Hungary, maybe you can hook me up with some furniture.:)

13. STT-Rider

Check your PM's

14. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Praise Alah! this is a thread-jack!

I have a pair of Helds. Donno what model they are, but they held (haha) up nicely in a crash, still wear them.

BTW- I have no problem buying stuff made in Pakastan, or any 'stan for that matter. Better to keep 'em employed making stuff than sitting around the 'ol Mosc <sp> being pissed at the west and easy recruits for terrorists.

15. dsb

dsb Well-Known Member

I have a pair of galaxy's, love the gloves. Having said that, they don't seem to fit well over the forearm of my leathers, probably has something to do with the elbo armor, or my Popeyesc forearms. They were tolerable with my Vanson's, unfortunately they just don't work with my new Syed's (there's some Pakistani workmanship for ya...) and I'm probably going to have to replace them ... :(

Dave

16. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

Held Galaxy - best gloves i have ever worn, they offer great forearm support and hold up in a crash.

17. ranman

ranman Well-Known Member

Thanks! :beer: (more please)

Most of what has been posted is what I'm looking for. :)
    Such as:
    * Why people still use Held or no longer use them.
    * If you no longer wear Held, which glove(s) do you wear now?
    * I use glove A because it has features F, L, H and T

Not looking for:
    * Regurgitating sales material (I have the IFW Catalog/PL and can also go to www.Held-Usa.com for the specs too)
    * Listing of prices that are not MSRP.

Hopefuly that clarified what I'm looking for.
    User feedback/thoughts on - which one(s) they use, how they perform/fit, quality of materials/workmanship, and if they have "used" a Held and still wear Held.

Keep the info coming -
    But ... please no prices unless they are MSRP comparisions between brands and was/is part of why you switched from brand A to B or use glove A over glove B.

18. STT-Rider

I switched to Held from Teknic Violators (after the third set I owned fell apart without any crashes!)) to Held. I bought Held's from Helimot (after waiting 2+ months for them to get my size) and I was so impressed by the gloves fit and protection I bought another pair as a spare. So I could not wear the same gloves two days in a row.

When I had the opportunity to become a dealer I jumped in because the product was proven to me both in fit, quality and crashworthiness. I offer only what we use to our membership. Beleive me, there are literally a dozen companies offering me free gloves because they reallize our influence on riders. I choose instead to pay for Helds.

Ummm, I guess for you then Galaxy's are $230 and Akiras are $219. (Everyone else gets a discount)

Good luck

Last edited: Jul 15, 2004
  19. STT-Rider

Try on a pair of Held Akira's. The gauntlet is a bit different and seems to accomodate larger forearms than Galaxy's.

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

And there you have it folks. I sell these, therefore they are the best...