1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heavier wheel?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by MachineR1, Aug 8, 2012.

1. MachineR1

MachineR1 Well-Known Member

So I want to buy another spare REAR wheel for my 848. The old 748/916 wheels will fit but they are ugly and approx. 3 lbs heavier. However, they are much cheaper on fleabay and I am a cheapass. Will I notice the difference in weight?

2. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

Are you troy bayliss ? ..... Then probably not

3. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

it is my understanding that reducing rotating mass is more beneficial than reducing non-rotating mass, but i don't know the physics involved. personally, i'd try to make the bike as light as possible.

whether or not you'll notice is another thing altogether.

- jim

4. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Get the cheap wheel and use it for rain and or practice.

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

My very vague idea of it is rotating mass acts as a gyro and resists direction change, the more there the greater the effect, not to mention lighter wheels are easier to spin up. Kind of two birds with one stone.

ps- 3 lbs on a wheel is quite a bit and you may or may not notice is but if its that much of a difference in price i'd say go with the cheaper one.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  6. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I put an FZR400 (19.32 lbs) rear wheel on my FZR600 (22.35 lbs) and noticed a difference and I'm not that perceptive.

7. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Depends on both the weight, and the distance from the axle. More weight at the hub would be less noticable than the same amount of weight at the rim.

But I understand cheap, and think gorilla has the right idea.

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

i bought a set of magnesium marchesinis for my 996. you will definitely notice. the stockers wore rain tires.
    interested or would they be outside your budget?
    willing to sell as a set only.
    they look like these...

Attached Files:

9. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

The BST wheels I have are 7-8 lbs. lighter as a set than the 08-09 oem gsxr wheels and you could notice the difference even on the warm-up lap IMHO