1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Header wrap

Discussion in 'Tech' started by OGs750, May 19, 2016.

1. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I have a full stainless Yosh system on a project bike of mine and I was wondering if there's any major issues associated with wrapping the headers. This isn't a race bike so I'm not concerned with the performance loss - unless it's drastic - but I want to make sure that they aren't going to crack or anything.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why wrap them?

3. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

It looks cool? This is purely a cosmetic move and if it turns out looking like shit it'll go.

4. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

The only big issue I've ever noticed is that the wrap can collect moisture and lead to faster corrosion of the pipes.

Supposed to help with performance technically, although I doubt it's any noticeable effect.

emry likes this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I would wrap them. I would coat them well before putting fabric on them.

6. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

So coat then wrap? What kind of coating do you recommend?

7. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Its stainless. Leave it alone. Header wrap just causes them to turn to shit and it looks like you are trying to hide a shitty system, that why it is all the rage on bobbers... Which after running for awhile with wrap, you will be hiding a shitty system. :crackup:

No gain that you can measure on most motorcycles. You can use it to keep your body work from burning through though.

8. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Yea, you're probably right about leaving it alone. I'm thinking it would look cool, but now I'm thinking it isn't worth the hassle.

9. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

I had my RC51 headers wrapped for years and they were thin wall stainless and never had an issue of any kind. I did this to protect rear shock from heat due to really close proximity to rear header. There was also ALLEGED performance gain due to keeping exhaust gasses hot longer for better scavenging. I would not worry about moisture because when you fire up the bike in 2 minutes all the moisture is gone.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Works for me :D

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

no sorry I meant to ceramic coat them not wrap. Airborn or Jethot or a reputable company that does them on a regular basis.
    Did some headers on my truck years ago and they still look new! There isnt much of a performance advantage but it sure beats hours of elbow grease trying to bring them back! :D

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Coatings/wraps allegedly do the same thing for "added" performance.

I go the wrap route...added insurance against scalding your skin if you have to fiddle around in tight places near hot pipes.

Read the instructions for the wrap...it says to soak it in water prior to install. I remove the system to facilitate wrapping and pre-cut the lengths of wrap needed for the particular section of pipe. You will "not" want to "try" to keep the whole roll together as you wrap if it's soaked...that ain't happenin'. If you don't soak it, it will look like shit in short order and start to unravel. Put enough tension on the windings to evacuate some water as the wrap proceeds. Your choice as to method of securing loose end...hose clamp, safety wire, etc. Reinstall system, fire up bike to dry it out, then forget it's even there. If it doesn't last a season and more, you did it wrong.

Is there staining of the underlying pipe? Yes. BFD.
    Don't think coatings will remain pristine, either. They won't.

13. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

works well for reducing noise level if you are at a track with tight restrictions. Also keeps bodywork from heat blisters.