1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hayden finally open to racing WSBK?

Discussion in 'General' started by EngineNoO9, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

I don't think the subtleties as to why herrin struggled really matter. He struggled, and that makes it harder for any international teams to be enthusiastic about riders on this side of the pond. Bums me out. I figured he'd be a top ten guy right out of the gate.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Well it should be interesting to see how Cam does in this IDM race he's going to contest as I believe Josh Brookes also contests the race.

But if I'm to be honest.....if there's anyone that is going to be a threat on the world stage coming out of America to the degree that Spies was it would have to be someone who is literally crushing Hayes on a weekly basis here without even breaking a sweat and realistically there's still no one is doing that at the moment.

3. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

IMO, Spies didn't help his career when he let Stoner pass him the last lap at Assen(?). He was more worried about Casey then keeping his head looking forward.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

Spies didn't help his career because he got injured and was unable to perform at top levels.

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

He let Stoner past him on the last lap at Valencia.

[​IMG]

At Assen Spies won and Stoner actually said in the post race interview that he didn't have the speed to keep up with Spies on that day.

[​IMG]

6. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Spies wasn't crushing Mladin on a weekly basis without breaking a sweat and he did well. I don't think Cam would hit the stage like Marquez or Lorenzo but I certainly could see him say as Dovi.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Crushing him? no...but, he beat him 3 consecutive seasons straight. And say what you want but in my mind Mladin was a VERY formidable opponent that was constantly pushing Spies the whole way every race/every year. I don't feel like CamBo is quite there yet w/ Josh, still a bit inconsistent. Sometimes he's right there, sometimes he's not.

8. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Yeah, that might not have killed his career. Obviously that didn't help but not showing the killer instinct was not an awesome thing to show to future potential GP bosses.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

He still had a job in GP til he was forced to retire, so not sure that did anything except show he could run up front against the factory bikes, which is a good thing.

10. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

11. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Well-Known Member

^^^ I just spotted. The image across the top of the page at that link is pure moto sex.

Back on topic... Is there anyone in the US who can do for CAM what Mladin did for Spies? Nope. The entire level of the series has to come up in order for our guys to compete at World level. Cam is a great guy and just the first step. Hopefully more to come as the MotoAmerica system matures.

Having said that it's going to be hard to wait!

-T

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Currently "the guy" is Hayes.

He doesn't grind you down 24/7 but on the track, don't underestimate Haarpyes.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

See that's something I find truly funny - they don't look at just one person and decide and entire country of riders is good or bad. It just doesn't work like that, these teams aren't that dense. They have a number of riders with a US passport in Europe right now doing well to look at too.

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Numbskulls still comparing these guys to Spies when I have not seen anybody mentioned who is even close. We have a crop of contemporary 'locals' racing internationally. Those are the results you should be looking at. Nobody has mentioned any of them.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Easier to ignore them when you're ignorant ;)

16. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

guess you missed the Pramac Ducati that caught fire and then the swing arm or linkage collapsed....lol.Anyway, I don't think we're privy to everything that went on in the team. Alex Briggs wife sent a tweet that year at Laguna about Ben's mom berating a mechanic in public. I can't imagine she'd have a reason to make that up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ellen_briggs/status/229371054504685570

Anyway, it seems something wasn't right. He quit Yamaha via Twitter and later made a joke about his boss at Ducati doing coke. I'm sure there's plenty of blame to pass around....

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That tweet was pure and utter bullshit. Mary did joke around with one of the other team members and someone who had no clue what was going on made stupid assumptions.

Ben also never quit anything via twitter.

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Truth! It's like Spies and Herrin are the only 'locals' to ever get on a plane. Though it took a while to get Ben on one lol.

19. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Ok, you might be right, but I have no idea why Ellen Briggs would make that up.

As to his departure from Yamaha.....

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104975

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Where does it say he quit via Twitter? :confused:

They said he announced it via Twitter. You think Yamaha didn't already know he wasn't coming back?