1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hattie B's

Discussion in 'General' started by YamRZ350, Nov 29, 2016.

1. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Evidently, hot chicken is a thing in Nashville. The outrageously long line means it's good, right?

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Ehhh, it must've jumped the shark......even the Colonel sells it now.

3. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

get medium level and the mac and cheese. I like the fingers rather than the breast and wing

if you want real blow it out your ass chicken then go to prince's or boltons. Hattie B's is hot chicken for the regular people so it tastes good rather than making you feel terrible.

4. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Meh. Good fried chicken doesn't need to be covered up with too much hot sauce and/or peppers.

6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Memphis down by the river. Gus' Fried Chicken.

7. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Gus' is opening a restaurant in Chamblee, GA (one of the Atlanta suburbs within 285). Curious to see how it is / does in that location.

8. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

They opened one called Joellas or some shit in NKY and we went for lunch one day. I got the sammich with pimento cheese and pickles at the hottest level. It was awesome but blew me out like 3 times that afternoon. Straight fire in the hole!

9. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Hell, a good old box of Publix fried chicken, take home and smother in Tabasco, nuke it in a little. Your colon will be on fire for 24 hours....Awesome :)

10. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

This. It just needs to be salty and greasy.

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Legs and breasts salted and flarred (floured)
    Fried in lard and bacon grease
    Eat

12. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

It didn't suck.
    No sauce involved, it's fried chicken, but marinated I guess? Got the hot and it was just about right.
    Local beer (Honkey Tonk) was pretty tasty as well.

Off to Memphis tomorrow, Gus' huh?

13. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

There's a Gus's here in Nashville. Ate there once and it was terrible.

14. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

15. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

It's not sauce it's in the meat/breading.

I loved Hattie b's can't wait to go again.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I was talking about sauce used to marinate and pepper(s) in the breading. I know how to make it, I just don't get it :D

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Somebody told me once that Chick-fil-a marinated their chicken in pickle juice

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wouldn't surprise me. Lots of it left over in restaurants and the salt is what you're looking for.

Interestingly while a LOT of people swear by spices and aromatics in the brine, those who have looked at it more scientifically have found yeah the salt is important but nothing else actually gets into and flavors the meat. You're better off doing a compound butter or injecting to get flavor into it while you're cooking. I've done it a lot like that recipe including pickling spice and this year went salt - no difference I could taste.

19. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

I heard the place for chicken in Nashville was a place called Prince's. It's down in the hood in a strip mall and take a gun with ya.