1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harbor Freight Steal

Discussion in 'General' started by TrackF3, Feb 15, 2010.

1. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

It may depend somewhat on the state. In Tennessee the trailer doesn't come with a title, it comes with a certificate of origin. You take that plus your bill of sale to your state's DMV to get a title. They need the bill of sale to prove you paid the taxes on it.

I bought one of Tennessee's permanent trailer tags for mine. The tag says it's for a semi. :crackup:

2. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Motorcyclist magazine has a full page ad for HF every month with many great deals. It includes this 20% discount coupon.

3. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

+1 to HF folding trailer!

Got the 12" wheels, 4x8, folding version. I think I paid around $270 after taxes but I didn't have the coupon.

When I bought it it came with a certificate of origin and I took that and the receipt to the BMV (in Indiana) and came out with a plate.

Holds 2 bikes (954 and gsxr1000) side to side with enough room to walk in between them. Also have about 3 feet of empty space in back to carry even more stuff.

When I'm done with it I fold it up and put it in my garage where it takes up no room and is complete one man load, unload job.

4. bluedevil

bluedevil Well-Known Member

I have used mine now for 6 years and love it. Also got the 12" wheel version. Fits nicely in my garage and takes up little space. Plates in CO are about $13 a year for it, comes with a title, and I picked up the spare wheel and mount as well. Took a few hours to put together and paint the deck. I grease the wheel bearings once a season. Holds 2 bikes, generator, stands, carpet, canopy, and a couple folding chairs, I also installed a Milk crate in the front V to hold Fuel jugs.
    Great trailer !!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  5. trace33chargers

trace33chargers Well-Known Member

Not personal experience, but I know a CCS guy who has one to tote an SV650 and 600rr around and loves it. Hasn't had any issues since he bought it 1 or 2 years ago. I know I'm gonna be grabbing one here soon.

6. slayer0177

slayer0177 Well-Known Member

yep

yep getting 1 soon

7. TrackF3

TrackF3 Well-Known Member

They must really be hurting if they keep put the coupon out there.

8. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Either that or the prices are inflated 20% :Poke:

Either way, nothing but good experience with HF here...

9. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

+1 on all above.
    I even have the folding stand that mounts under the tonge.
    I use bungy cords when storing it upright.

10. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

Question. I'm a complete noob with most of this stuff but for the flooring/decking do you recommend 3/4 plywood or diamond plating? I want to get one of these and put a Pitbull restraint on it. Can I just use the plywood and bolt the pitbull to that or does it need something stronger to get bolted to? I saw a previous post mention something about c-channel something or another but I dont know what that is.

11. some guy #2

I used two 4x4 sheets of pressure treated 3/4" plywood for $30 at lowes. I bolted my chock to the floor and I haven't had any issues in the short time I've had it.

I also secure the two halves with some chain and I'm thinking of bolting it to the garage wall for extra insurance.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  12. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

Sounds good. "Pressure treated" does that mean I dont need to waterproof the plywood?

13. some guy #2

^Correct. I still painted mine though, but only because the grip tape I bought called for it.

14. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

Grip tape? Also what kind of ramp do you use to load and unload?

15. tomato_racing

tomato_racing Well-Known Member

Anyone have pics of this trailer with two bikes? It doesn't seem like it would be nearly wide enough wihth the factory cross member to ratchet down two bikes?

16. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

I bought one 6 months ago. used 3/4 inch pressure treated plywood and painted it with porch floor paint. I put a second coat on the top and mixed in some granules so it wasn't slippery. It made it alot heavier but very sturdy which was what I was shooting for.

What kind of ramps do you guys use? I bought two 2x8 cut about a foot off them and put those ramp ends on them. It works but there heavy and take up room.

I can't even tell it's behind my acura tl-s, I fold it up and put it in my garage as well.

I re-packed the wheel bearings the stuff that comes in them is like vasaline. I then bought the bearing buddies they sale on sale for $4 so I just pump some grease in them every 500 miles.

17. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

bike_trailer

18. BearcatRR

BearcatRR Well-Known Member

19. some guy #2

Anyone have pics of this trailer with two bikes? It doesn't seem like it would be nearly wide enough wihth the factory cross member to ratchet down two bikes?I can try to get some pics up but a 954 and a gsxr1000 (both with frame sliders) fit side by side with out staggering wheels or anything like that. There's enough room to walk in between the bikes if you have to.

20. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

You can always bolt on some angle iron to extend outward from teh side of the trailer... then you could strap the outside bars to that.