1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harbor Freight Steal

Discussion in 'General' started by TrackF3, Feb 15, 2010.

1. TrackF3

TrackF3 Well-Known Member

Ok anyone that has a Harbor Freight around them knows some of the steals you find there. Well how about a 1195 Lb. Capacity 48" x 96" Heavy Duty Foldable Utility Trailer with 12" Wheels for $256.80. Thats what I paid for it Saturday. First thing first, normally $339.99 on sale $299.99, don't know if its still on sale. Had a 20% off coupon good for one regular and sale price item. Yes I said sale price item to. So now the trailer cost $239.99 plus 7% sales tax for me.

The part number for that trailer is 90154.

Now if you don't need that weight of a trailer. They also have a 950 Lb. Capacity Foldable 4 Ft. x 8 Ft. Utility Trailer with 8" Wheels and Tires #43709 for $299.99.

Now here's the real kicker. The coupon I used expired that Saturday but don't get your hopes up. In my Sunday paper (Indianapolis Star) Harbor freight has another 20% coupon in it and it doesn't expire until 3/13/10. Wait I'm not done yet. Even if you don't get a Harbor Freight ad in your Sunday paper, do you get a USA Today in it. Hidden in it is another 20% coupon and it doesn't expire until 6/7/10.

2. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a really good deal! Those 20% coupons are in every magazine I've read for the past several months too.

3. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

I didn't know they were good for "sale" items too.....:up:

4. TrackF3

Last year I had to rent a trailer and for just 2 days it cost $70. So this trailer will pay for itself real fast.

5. TrackF3

From the fine print "Saving discount percentage off Harbor Freight Tools current prices, including sale prices."

6. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

Yeah me and a friend each bought 60gal US General air compressors at the local harbor freight and got a shit load knocked off the price. They were already on sale and they let us each use a 20% off coupon, plus we talked the manager into taking another 10% off because we bought two at the same time. They ended up being like $370 each after we bought the 2yr no-questions-asked replacement warranty for them. Some of their stuff is crap but they do have some really good deals.

7. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

As a testimony, I'm now going on my fifth season using the same Harbor Freight trailer described in the OP (12 inch wheels, non-folding). I routinely carry two bikes and associated gear on it. It has even been across the country and back with two bikes on it. My compliments to the guy who assembled it! :up:

I think I paid $240 for mine in '06.

8. CycleWorx Inc.

CycleWorx Inc. Well-Known Member

I have thought about picking one of these up but wasn't sure how anyone went about getting them plated. Do they come with a title or do you have to get them inspected like when you build a trailer?

9. TrackF3

It comes with a title to take to the BMV and get it plated.

10. TrackF3

I haven't put it together yet. The 6+ inches of snow says I don't need it yet. But for that price I couldn't pass up buying it.

11. slayer0177

slayer0177 Well-Known Member

I had always wondered if these trailers were any good thanks for sharing! I just saved the part number. 2 bikes would fit on a 4x8 right??

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  12. mineshaved

mineshaved product of my enviroment

i went to harbor freight and the lady there said it isnt worth buying theres. She said until you have it assembled, inspected, and having to wait for paper work, im better off just buying one thats already assembled from tractor supply. Not sure how true this all is, but i just bought the one from tractor supply because I needed to use it right away..

13. froggert

froggert Well-Known Member

yup, two bikes will fit. factor in the cost of plywood and eye bolts, too. check that the wheels are torqued down properly (don't ask how i know). if the fenders rattle, you can bend them apart some.

14. TrackF3

some guy #2 has one of these but I can't remember which one. Don't think he had any problems with getting the paper work done. Maybe he'll post.

15. BearcatRR

BearcatRR Well-Known Member

I have the same one the original poster just bought and I have no complaints. There are no problems registering it as it comes with a title as well. I ended up getting a 4x8 sheet of diamond plate for the flooring and coated it with truck bed lining. I then added some 1/4" c-channel bracing between the rear two beams to make a secure place to mount my pitbull trailer restraint. Finished it off by adding a huge diamond plate truck tool box to haul all of my gear. Overall, it is very light and my Audi A4 has no problems at all pulling it fully loaded with bike, generator, and all of my gear. Plus all I have to do is pop off the truck box and the pitbull and it folds up and stores in the corner of my garage. Well worth it for the price.

16. BearcatRR

While I am thinking about it, one thing that I would recommend is that you find a way to secure the two halves of the trailer together when you have it folded up in the garage. One night when I was tired as hell coming back from the track, the one half swung down unexpectedly when I was pushing it into position and crashed down onto my spare gas tank. Luckily, it did very little damage, but it could of been bad if it had fell into my car. I usually just secure the two halves together with a ratchet strap. Oh and get the spare tire kit. It is only like $50 and it comes with a mount.

17. slayer0177

slayer0177 Well-Known Member

thats funny I was just thinking of getting one of these and using the wifes saab 9-3 if I can even put a hitch on that thing. Had to sell the van couldnt afford gas being unemployed sucksssss

18. How much is shipping?

19. BearcatRR

You should be able to get a hitch for it no problem. Try u-haul, they usually have one for damn near about everything. I was a little vain and didn't want to have a receiver showing at all times, so I ordered one of the European models in which the receiver is vertical and is completely hidden when the actual hitch isn't mounted. I was lucky and still had friends over in Germany from when I was stationed there, so it cut down the price considerably. $635 plus shipping from Germany for the one distributor here in the states, versus about $250 shipped by ordering it through a UK distributor, having it shipped to my buddy in Germany, and then him shipping it to me through the APO.

20. BearcatRR