1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSXR1000 down HUGE on power.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by fomopopo, Oct 7, 2003.

1. fomopopo

fomopopo Guest

Any help would be a huge help.

Picked up a 2002 GSXR1000 from a local rider. It had 10K miles, and appeared to be in great shape. Slapped on a M-4 full system, Commander IIIR, and K&N filter. Through the Commander site, found a MAP from Patrick Racing, which claimed good results.

At the Dyno I was shocked to find that it was only putting out 143hp. Over 15 runs were made, but the 143 was the highest we could achieve. The Tech was baffled, and several runs were done using the Para Valve mod. We were able to get 145hp during these runs.

The Tech could not offer any simple suggestions/fixes for the problem, and recommended having the valves checked, and having a leakdown test. Called Yosh, and the Tech said the compression might be down, which could be a manufacturing issue. He went on to say, they test ever stock engine before diving in, and have run across a "runt" of the litter a few times.

Does anyone know of anything else I can check? Has anyone ran across a simular problem?

2. Tank Boy

Tank Boy clank clank boom

Do a leak down or at least a compression check to find out the condition of the vavles and rings, so you will at least have someplace to start besides "my bike sucks"...

My theory would be that the PO did a squid break in and glazed the bores.

3. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

This probably isn't the problem, but a while back, my bike would lose a lot of power after it would warm up....specifically because when the cyclinder would get hot, there wasn't enough coolant getting to the ending to keep it cool...essentially causing detonation in the cyclinder and really killing the power....You may like me have not had enough water in the coolant reservio, or you may have a blockage....do you just not have any power period...or just after you let it warm up?

4. Critter

Critter Registered

call me

hey man call me at home tonight I might have some suggestions

704-905-9801

Critter

5. sunshine

sunshine Well-Known Member

Low HP

You just need to realize that not every map you load in will replicate awesome HP numbers. I have tried a lot of maps on the dyno myself and had some success with changing the existing maps. What one person uses on their bike does not mean it will work well with yours(nobody will tell ya their "tricks" done). Besides, nobody is going to give out their "custom" map that they have spend mucho dinero and time on....

Sunshine

6. 418

418 Expert #59

Oh, come on man. I know you'll hook me up on the "sweet carb setup" on the FZR400, when I get another one...:D

7. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

At least I can't fault your taste in bikes.....

8. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

someone bitching about 143 hp...and not enough... by all means don't start tearing down the engine. tank compression test will give you an overall health on the engine. leakdown will find any leaky valves. but you really don't have time to adjust the valves.

follow the above suggestion to start playing around with the power commander. put the stock ecu back on the bike. see your hp come back?? ok.... now you know the problem... critter take 'em the rest of the way...

9. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

Remove the main jets. Wheeeeeeeeee!

10. sunshine

sunshine Well-Known Member

I was just thinking, how would you know it was HUGE down on power if you didn't dyno it before all the mods? That should ALWAYS be done to set yourself a baseline to work from...

Sunshine

11. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

comp test is the start leakdown tells you more. Valve adjustment and many other things My map is the best for your bike blah blah get down to basics and yes many differances in stock bikes on the power curve........

12. bmfgsxr

bmfgsxr Well-Known Member

without having a before dyno run its tough to say. but, it could be a "runt". it could be a low reading dyno, try a compression test.

13. mdr14

mdr14 What?

I have seen a lot of discrepency in HP on those bikes. But what you are seeing isn't totally unusual... A little on the low side,

Barring a little compression loss somewhere, you might have some frictional losses somewhere.

For reference, I did have an 02' 1000 on the dyno that made 137 stock and 146 with a full system & custom map.
    There was nothing wrong with that bike at all.

But then I had an 01 that stock was 145 , w a half pipe & custom map was about 154... Go figure.

14. cattitori

cattitori Code SuperBike Galactic *

Power

Are you running race gas? Did the previous owner run race gas? Check K Mac's tech post about his Gixx