1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSXR with 35k miles...whats that noise ?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Raceless man, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Took off out of the garage this morning and as the bike started up it made a strange low frequency chirp type noise..i revved it a bit..seems fine so i took off down the driveway. It came back a little louder. I turned parked it jumped in my truck and off to work I went.
    Its an 02 gsxr 750 35k miles..i rescued it back in 2015 from a parking lot in Philly. It had 15k miles then.
    This bike has more miles than any other bike I ever owned. Its great and I love it.
    Im at work and this is plaguing me to no end.
    Any of you care to post your diagnoses' with gsxr's of similar year and milage?
    Would be much obliged. Ty

2. rymerc

rymerc Well-Known Member

does it sound like cam-chain rattle? My 02 would sometimes make some weird secondary throttle body noises on startup, but I don't remember any chirping in the 20k I had it

3. Raceless man

Im guessing water pump. It sounds like fluidic noise. Whirring...whooshing sort of.
    Will update...

4. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

1: Check fluids first, dont want to lose an engine to something stupid.
    2: Try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from - get a screw driver and place the handle on your ear and the tip on different spots in the engine to determine where it's coming from.
    3: Try to determine if the noise is rythmic with engine speed or half engine speed (cam driven related or crank speed related).
    4: If none of those things point you in the correct direction check things like running the bike in gear on a stand and check for changes in sound with the bike in Neutral, 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. This could help point to something gearbox speed related (output shaft bearings etc) vs input shaft speed related (clutch basket bearing if there is one).

Newyork likes this.
  5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Cam chain is the first guess. Tensioner is maxed out.

418 likes this.
  6. Would be where I’d place my bet as well.

7. Raceless man

Thank you all for the input. So far. Water pump seems fine...also really clean in there.
    Took the clutch all the way out and peaked in on the oil pump. Again all seems fine. Im am not a tech but sometimes things are obvious. Unfortunately this one isn't. I put it all back together. So I will do as nizmo400r and RM Racing suggested . stay tuned. Haha

8. Raceless man

Forgot to mention..i dropped the pan and all was clean in there as well.
    I don't open engines up regularly so this may be normal. I noticed in the tightest of areas internally there is a ultra fine easily wiped out darker denser material. Is that clutch particles ?

9. Raceless man

Seismic shifts in my life are suggesting I move this to the classifieds...thank you all for your input..

DmanSlam likes this.