1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSXR Steering Stem Nut

Discussion in 'Tech' started by holcomb298, May 16, 2005.

1. holcomb298

holcomb298 Well-Known Member

I am trying to understand the best way to tighten the steering stem nuts on an 04' GSXR600 - for the lower triple clamp. I thought about buying the socket - but, it appears rather expensive. I also considered using the old punch and hammer method - but, that is just not smart. Unfortunately, I don't have any contacts in the Chicagoland area to borrow the socket for a day...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to tighten the steering stem nut for the lower triple without resorting to buying the socket or destroying the nut itself? Just to reiterate, I am not asking about the top triple clamp nut...rather the bottom nut(s). And, I have a system to properly adjust the "initial movement force" at 200-500 grams per the manual.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Aaron
    Chicago, IL.

2. RFairbairn

RFairbairn Well-Known Member

Make one

32mm impact socket from NAPA + 4 grinder with cutoff wheel =

And I wouldn't worry about the pull test, you want it as loose as possible w/out any movement at the bottom of the fork legs when it's all back together. it will take you a few tries if you haven't done it before. it will seem perfect but when you tighten the top triple nut it will be too loose.

Well I tried to attach a pic but it didn't work. If you want a pic send me your email address.

Rick

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  3. holcomb298

holcomb298 Well-Known Member