1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSXR front rotor question.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Bob E., Oct 31, 2004.

1. Bob E.

Bob E. _________________________

I had a set of wheels (GSXR 00-03) sent to me via USPS.

I set the front wheel up on an axle, gave the wheel a spin and checked the rotor carriers for run out.

They seem to have a little warp because the "pointer" that I used touched maybe two of the spokes with the others moving away for a small distance.

My question is: Will a small amount of run out on the carriers matter if the buttons have enough play to allow the disc to center and run true?

Can the carriers be straightened?

2. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Check the runout at the contact area of the rotor. Many of the wheel straightening guys also true rotors.

3. Bob E.

Thanks, Frank

I scrounged up a dial indicator and checked them.

The front rotors had about .020" run out each to start with. The carrier was low at the same place as the disc.

I marked the low spot and bumped the carrier with a block of wood from the back side. (Out of curiosity of course).

It took surprisingly little force to change the amount of run out.

They each have about .005" run out now.

I realize .000" is the target but what amount of run out do you think is tolerable?

I may work on truing them more this week and mount them up Saturday to test them.

4. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Everyone is different, but I doubt you'll feel much where you're at right now. You're right, it doesn't take much to bend a rotor out of shape - happens a lot with wheel chocks or when the wheel is off for a new tire, so it's something to keep an eye on.

5. Bob E.

I did a little research and found that the Suzuki manual says max run out should be .3 mm.

If my conversion is correct that should be about .012".

So it is within the spec.

I'll try it out on the bike this weekend.

Thanks.