1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSXR 600 gearing for VIR

Discussion in 'General' started by slow rider, May 19, 2002.

1. slow rider

slow rider Well-Known Member

Would like to know what gearing is best for a '01 GSXR 600 at VIR?
    I am considering 16/46. Is it suggested to get a longer chain, what size? 112 link? I don't think that the 110 will make it.

2. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

16/46 will work with a stock chain, not sure if it's the right gear for VIR though.

3. ZebProctor

ZebProctor Well-Known Member

I noticed noone is offering thier gearing for VIR....

4. amaner

amaner will do math for food

I run 15/45 at VIR on my '97. But I'm a newbie. Any expert opinions out there???

5. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

There will be a plithera of GSXR 600's at the Jam competing. I wouldn't expect much in the way of help. Unless of course you're drowning.......maybe.

:)

6. ZebProctor

ZebProctor Well-Known Member

let's see..... free beer to the first person who tells me the best gearing for a 01 GSXR 600 for VIR....

7. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

You bastard!
    I will hunt you down and....drink beer:D

8. toeslider

toeslider Where is Watkinsville?

Bring a Guinness to #901. Aaron Stevens(the one that teaches cornerspeed I think?) suggested running stock to start with. Looks like most are able to run in 6th gear if you get a good drive out of the last turn and hold it past the kink at start/finish going into 1. If you are a slower rider go up a tooth or two on the back to start with. I'm running Road A gearing on a 750. I'll be looking for that beer this weekend!

9. WERA166

WERA166 Well-Known Member

use 16/45 ,16/46 will work,but as you get faster you may run out of gear.

10. slow rider

slow rider Well-Known Member

How fast will 16/46 take me? I don't think that you can redline with stock gearing 16/45. Can you?
    I ran stock on my R6 last year and didn't have any problem with running out of 6th, but then again, there is a few more rpm's to have with an R6.
    Will a 110 link chain be to close for stock gearing? How many links in a stock chain? I tried the 16/46 and the 110 is too tight, the 16/45 makes it, but not much left to spare.

Last edited: May 20, 2002