1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSXR 1000 stator issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by adio1dog, Jun 15, 2015.

1. adio1dog

adio1dog Well-Known Member

Hello all. My stator seems to have expired, taking a couple batteries out along the way, and causing some DNS's. To avoid future trouble is it a good idea to replace the rectifier as well?

2. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

Were you the guy looking for one this weekend at VIR by chance? As to your question are you sure that the rectifier is not what went bad? There is a recall on them for many of the gsxr models. Even if it wasn't, my theory has become over time that if you have the means to replace it then do so and keep the other as a backup. That's just my 2c.

3. adio1dog

Yeah that was me at VIR. According to the shop manual there doesn't seem to be a direct check for the rectifier. I was able to use one off of another bike and check the resistance at the stator and it did not change. We were able to check the voltage at the stator leads and two of them gave weak power or none. So I think the stator is the culprit. Thanks for the info. I was planning on doing both parts to eliminate not starting races again. It sucks to DNS!

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Did you take the cover off and look at it? Is it a 09 +? Reason I ask is I had my Sator Bolt Strip which made the stator not move thus no charge... Those Bolts are like $30..:eek:

5. adio1dog

It is a 2009. I did remove the cover and looked at the stator. It looked clean and the copper packs didn't appear scorched. But it didn't produce any charge. Which bolt was preventing the rotation? One of the three that anchor the copper wheel, or the bolt on the end of the crank holding the wheel???

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Bolt at the end..... Check it.... It might not be spinning it....:up:

7. adio1dog

Will do. Thanks

8. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

9. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Also the guy from roadstercycle.com has some very good vids on youtube about checking charging system issues by component. I was able to diagnose a bad VR with that.

10. adio1dog

Thanks all for the help. It turns out the stator was at fault. It was hard to find. There was a fried brittle wire inthe harness that was shorting out. It explains the build up to the point of failure.

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Good deal!!!:beer:

12. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

GSXR rectifiers are notorious for going out. For the cost I'd either do it or have 1 on hand. I do and mine was just replaced last year.